Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to tlhintoq
Any comments or warnings on new 40x12?

We are full timers planning to upgrade from our 2007 FR Sandpiper 37sp toy haul to a 40x12. We want the better bedroom/bath space, kitchen slide for space, 2nd bathroom, L shape kitchen, loft etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any comments or warnings on this model.

I plan to do the winterization package for insulation and dual pane windows, bedroom air con, and garage air con.
I was going to do the washer/dryer until they said 'electric'. That's silly when you have propane but only 50 amps. So I'll do that upgrade myself.
Is there anything else recommended as a must-have or must-do on this?

Recommended dealers? Fun Town RV in Texas seems to have good pricing and make it up in volume. But I read in another thread someone mentioned RVW had there model for 3,000 less with more features. I don't know who RVW is. RV World??? What city?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #2

They're probably referring to RV Wholesalers.
The Original RVWholesalers, Big Country Fifth Wheel, RV Sales, RV Wholesale Dealers
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

By the published specs that toyhauler has a dry pin weight of 2522 lbs and a dry weight of 14554 lbs...these numbers will be understated.

That's a big, heavy camper...hope an upgrade to a 1 T dually is part of the plan.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

The spec weight isn't much more than the spec weight on my current 5er. My Ram isn't dually but handles that quite well.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #5

40x12

I have had for about a month now, the only issue so far has been with the stereo, the outside speakers were hooked up with the sub-woofer, simple process of switching a plug and its fine. The stereo is distorted when playing through an ipod or mp3 player, haven't been able to check into it yet, other than that love it. Try All Season's RV in Michigan, they have early 2012 versions on clearance.(less than 49K) And it pulls very well.

2011 GMC HD Denali 6.6 Duramax
dtrain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrain76
I have had for about a month now, the only issue so far has been with the stereo, the outside speakers were hooked up with the sub-woofer, simple process of switching a plug and its fine. The stereo is distorted when playing through an ipod or mp3 player, haven't been able to check into it yet, other than that love it. Try All Season's RV in Michigan, they have early 2012 versions on clearance.(less than 49K) And it pulls very well.

2011 GMC HD Denali 6.6 Duramax
Thanks. I'll give them a call and see if they have a 40x12 or 386x12 with the Arctic Weather package
Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #7

I've been looking at XLR's for quite a while now. Just can't get a dealer to get where I consider reasonable- either they want to low ball a trade or expect you to pay full list price for the new unit. As far as the 40-12, I would recommend the AMP IT UP package. It gives you Corian countertops and some other minor tweaks- makes the interior really sharp. Another cool option is the pass through rear bed- gives you another place to eat if you want to. And as someone who has actually checked out the weights, I can tell you Forest River is pretty close to what they advertise as dry weight. Just looked at an almost fully loaded 3514 and the actual weight from the factory was 13346. They now have a yellow sticker inside the entrance door with the weight it leaves the factory with all of the options on it. If you find a 40-12, you can ask a salesman to go out and look at the sticker and know exactly what it is. . good luck in your search.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #8

We decided to keeping looking, but for a 386x12 because they are 1500 pounds lighter before adding on options.
I'm not sure why yep, but the brochure shows them 3 feet longer yet 1500 pounds lighter. The only major difference I see is the rear toilet. I wouldn't have expected that bit of carpentry to weight that much more than the permanent stairs that goes in it's place. I'll have to keep digging around to see where that weight savings is coming from.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #9

Not sure myself, but I think part of that weight comes from a bigger slideout for the entertainment system. The 40-12 has the Tv/fireplace in the center of the rig, so only the kitchen is on the slide. Looks like the 386 slide is longer, which may add some weight. Don't know if you are willing to travel, but All Seasons rv in Michigan has a leftover 2011 386. Might be worth a look unless you are set on a certain option list. They did come out with some new tricks for 2012, but you gotta pay to play, right?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike
Not sure myself, but I think part of that weight comes from a bigger slideout for the entertainment system. The 40-12 has the Tv/fireplace in the center of the rig, so only the kitchen is on the slide. Looks like the 386 slide is longer, which may add some weight. Don't know if you are willing to travel, but All Seasons rv in Michigan has a leftover 2011 386. Might be worth a look unless you are set on a certain option list. They did come out with some new tricks for 2012, but you gotta pay to play, right?
We decide to go for it. Picking it up Wednesday! The 2011 386x12 that is. I'll be sure to post a complete set of pix, review and comparison to my trade in.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #11

Hey, congrats on the new rig. Hope you had a good time checking it out. Did you end up with the one from Michigan? thought I was gonna get close to a deal on a 2012 3514, but then the dealer started playing number games and I won't waste my time. Assured me he does want to gain my business as a customer though. Yeah, $31000 and a 3 year old toyhauler is almost what I want to spend to help him out!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #12

Arrived in Michigan last night. It was the1300 mile drive of mishaps. First the refridgerator outdoor plastic panel was ripped off by the thunderstorm. Then 30 miles from the dealership my trade-in froze/threw a bearing on the right side second axel and the entire wheel and mount flew off. Believe it or not the Sandpiper tows so well I didn't realize at first and was able to come to a safe stop. An hour later a roadside assist truck was able to chain up the axel and we limped in the last 30 miles at 30mph.

My first fear of course was that I would be stuck in MI with no way back and the dealership would break the deal. They were instead very accommodating and said "The deal is still sound. We'll do the repair and you can pay for it. That way the paperwork stays clean." So that seemed great to me.

It was night. We parked the old and new units next to each other nose to tail so the doors faced each other. We moved everything from old to new and got settled in for the night. That's when I started to realize the major things this unit was supposed to have and doesn't:
- 6438-2 Arctic weather package: Insulation, double pane windows, tank heaters
- VIP party patio package
- Bedroom air conditioner

All up that's about 6500 in options that were supposed to be in this unit. It now 0845hrs and I'm waiting for the sales rep to work this out.

More to follow after we talk...
Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #13

We got our 2012 40X12 3 months ago from Fun Town RV and have loved it. The only real upgrade we have done is to add a 2nd battery. So far, it is a great unit!

Phil Tripp
2012 40X12 XLR Thunderbolt
2006 3/4 ton Dodge 2500
okla21fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhintoq View Post
Arrived in Michigan last night. It was the1300 mile drive of mishaps. First the refridgerator outdoor plastic panel was ripped off by the thunderstorm. Then 30 miles from the dealership my trade-in froze/threw a bearing on the right side second axel and the entire wheel and mount flew off. Believe it or not the Sandpiper tows so well I didn't realize at first and was able to come to a safe stop. An hour later a roadside assist truck was able to chain up the axel and we limped in the last 30 miles at 30mph.

My first fear of course was that I would be stuck in MI with no way back and the dealership would break the deal. They were instead very accommodating and said "The deal is still sound. We'll do the repair and you can pay for it. That way the paperwork stays clean." So that seemed great to me.

It was night. We parked the old and new units next to each other nose to tail so the doors faced each other. We moved everything from old to new and got settled in for the night. That's when I started to realize the major things this unit was supposed to have and doesn't:
- 6438-2 Arctic weather package: Insulation, double pane windows, tank heaters
- VIP party patio package
- Bedroom air conditioner

All up that's about 6500 in options that were supposed to be in this unit. It now 0845hrs and I'm waiting for the sales rep to work this out.

More to follow after we talk...
Did they get it right for you ? Also are you pulling that with the truck in your sig ?
JCMINIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #15

Check it out 40 ways from Sunday before you take delivery.
Here are the following problems we have had. One of the fuel gages quit working, the dump tank valves are hard to get to, the tank monitor lights/levels didn't work from the beginning, have been looking for a 12 volt electrical problem for nearly a month, one of the under sink vent caps was stuck open with some kind of goop inside, so the smell from the dump tank came up into the bathroom, (took us over a year to find that one), have asked for a wiring schematic, (rumor has it they don't even have one for the assembly line), a wiring harness as thick as your wrist wasn't installed correctly in one of the slides and consequently after about the first few months of use, pushed out one of the wooden panels hiding it. One of the holding tanks was labled "grey" when in fact it was a black tank, with no back flushing capibility yet.
Kinda hard to return it to the dealer everytime something happens when the dealer is 1500 miles away and we're full timers. Also it makes it difficult when some dealers won't honor FR's warranty. I could go on but I hope you get the idea.
bstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

After the experience we have had with our 40 Ft. Sandpiper, I wouldn't recommend buying anything made by Forest River. We bought it on March 11th of this year, lived in it for two weeks, before going home (we are in AZ), came back to AZ and have been in it two weeks. This is a total of 4 weeks and we have had nothing but trouble. We have had 21 things go wrong with it. The dealer we purchased it from has been great about coming out and fixing things, but hey, 21 things is absolutely a lemon.
braun62 is offline   Reply With Quote