Old 06-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Awning use in light wind 29HFS

Okay, so we have enjoyed our XLR for 3 years now. But, the awning is the size of a main sail from a 400' Schooner. I have NEVER felt comfortable with it extended in the slightest breeze.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I have more confidence in the shocks that are supposed to "save it" from tearing apart? Do I need to adjust it? It seems to stick almost horizontal, which seems to allow wind to get under it and lift it all the time.

Drives me crazy not being able to comfortably use it. Gonna be in the Keys for a week then in the Mountains for a week...both very soon. Any suggestions?

Orange Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Buy awning brackets and poles and tie it down.

Search the forum for hundreds of posts on how to buy.

OC & Turbs have had a solution for years.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
Okay, so we have enjoyed our XLR for 3 years now. But, the awning is the size of a main sail from a 400' Schooner. I have NEVER felt comfortable with it extended in the slightest breeze.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I have more confidence in the shocks that are supposed to "save it" from tearing apart? Do I need to adjust it? It seems to stick almost horizontal, which seems to allow wind to get under it and lift it all the time.

Drives me crazy not being able to comfortably use it. Gonna be in the Keys for a week then in the Mountains for a week...both very soon. Any suggestions?
I'm the same way OC. What I do is using doggie anchors screwed into the ground (have tied off to a substantial picnic table) and tie off each end of the "mainsail", in such a way that I can quickly untie it. I am not comfortable using poles, since it is my contention that they will not allow dumping should it need to do that. But, I think it will stop some lift, or at least makes me feel better. I have had it out in 20 - 25 mph winds but if it gets breezy I bring it in. I never leave it out overnight or when gone.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
llr

I use mine if we are close by outside and it is not jumping too bad, other wise I bring it in. I don't like the poles since we generally only spend a couple of days at a time and it is more to setup/take down every time. If I stayed a week or more at a time I would get some, i am not worried about dumping, just set the rear lower so water drains.

Personally I like the older manual awnings as they seem much more stable and I would leave it out all the time except in bad storms.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I use mine if we are close by outside and it is not jumping too bad, other wise I bring it in. I don't like the poles since we generally only spend a couple of days at a time and it is more to setup/take down every time. If I stayed a week or more at a time I would get some, i am not worried about dumping, just set the rear lower so water drains.

Personally I like the older manual awnings as they seem much more stable and I would leave it out all the time except in bad storms.
We used to bring ours in, then we bought the poles.
Poles are awesome, takes about 5 minutes to set up and we haven't had strong enough wind to bother taking it down yet.
It's pretty nice when a small rain shower comes through, you can sit outside and enjoy the shower under the awning. Also keeps the grass/rug dry underneath.
brfriend0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

And I still have plenty of bracket kits left.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #7

Hi from down under, (NZ) my wife and I took possession of a windjammer 2 months ago. It has a 6m (18') awning, we have the same fears as you. So I bought 2 adjustable tent poles, screwed 2 rubber coated bike holder brackets into the base of poles. Inverted them to spike into ground, extended to just take the weight off the awning, then secured the awning directly to the ground with a strap tie down using a large spring for shock. Works a treat. I still bring it in though when the wind gets up.
buzzliteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

I bought some dog tie-outs and some good carabeners. I have plenty of good ratchet straps. I'll post an update....or a new thread about "How to make an Insurance Claim for damaged Awning" after our Keys trip this next week.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:

I can tell when Members Have NOT camped beside a Member with POLES! Your awning is not over 21' and Lots of Members have this size awning! Poles keep your awning "UP and Down" and allow you to "Set/Adjust" for Water/Rain to run off! Do your research and ask Someone who Has Poles! 99.9% will give Flavorful Marks! Youroo!!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
I bought some dog tie-outs and some good carabeners. I have plenty of good ratchet straps. I'll post an update....or a new thread about "How to make an Insurance Claim for damaged Awning" after our Keys trip this next week.
What you have listed will be fine for a Dog,but your not in tune about the POLES! Youroo!!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

And ratchet straps are not the best to use either.

You should be using LASHING straps.
If ever you need to retract the awning in a hurry, ratchet straps are inconvenient to loosen quickly. A lashing strap can be loosened in a second.

The nice thing about the brackets and poles... should you ever need to retract in a hurry, push the release lever on the lashing strap, pull the hook from the ground anchor and retract the awning. The strap, the bracket, and the pole will all fold up against the awning brace and your awning will be retraced in seconds not minutes.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
And ratchet straps are not the best to use either...
My ratchet straps are quick release also. I leave them in the quick release mode just in case. All I have to do is hit the handle and they're loose.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My ratchet straps are quick release also. I leave them in the quick release mode just in case. All I have to do is hit the handle and they're loose.
Yep, some are like that... some are not... and you sir, are smart enough to know the difference.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
What you have listed will be fine for a Dog,but your not in tune about the POLES! Youroo!!
LOL...No dogs on this trip.

I have these crazy Dometic 9200 awnings that "they say" you shouldn't pole/strap them, because they are designed to move with the wind. Shocks in the arms; self dumping, etc. Dealer literally told me "don't strap them down. Let them move". Well, they move a lot with a 5 mph breeze. Stupid scary. (I road race motorcycles on closed course....broken bones, the whole deal...I don't frighten easy).

But hey, that is why I asked for advice. I think you kindly for the kind advice.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
And ratchet straps are not the best to use either.

You should be using LASHING straps.
If ever you need to retract the awning in a hurry, ratchet straps are inconvenient to loosen quickly. A lashing strap can be loosened in a second.

The nice thing about the brackets and poles... should you ever need to retract in a hurry, push the release lever on the lashing strap, pull the hook from the ground anchor and retract the awning. The strap, the bracket, and the pole will all fold up against the awning brace and your awning will be retraced in seconds not minutes.

Thanks for the advice. I've never been a huge fan of Cam Straps....but I'm generally holding down large items, like motorcycles and tool boxes. I have a couple laying around somewhere. But, I am pretty skilled with a ratchet strap. I get frustrated watching someone fumble with it.... "Just move and let me get in there...your making it tighter, not loosing it! Ugh!"
Old 06-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #16

I have the poles and straps. I use the wratchet straps with a quick release and just leave them accessible. I put them to the test the other week when camping. We had left the site and I left my awning out strapped down at an angle. Saw clouds while we were out and headed for the car but too late. Got a wind gust and a large amount of rain. Neighbors tried to pull it in but we had locked the door so they watched it and said it did really well. I had strapped to the water hook up in back and the trailer jack in the front because it was all paved. I also have the dog spikes but I have had them pull up once in very dry climate so nothing to grip to. Poles and straps solve my problem. Happy camper.

dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, light