Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Best cover for storage?

Hello all! I just purchased a 2017 XLR 29HFS and I’ve noticed other posts about covers didn’t really get much input. Hopefully I’ll get some responses.

I’m looking for the best cover I can buy that won’t wear out or fall apart too quickly. Also, any advice on WHERE to buy the cover to get the best deal?

Any other advice? I guess use pool noodles for the edges of the trailer to protect it and the cover? Maybe beach ball on the roof to protect things like the TV antenna?
scottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #2

I bought a cover from Calmark which is made from Sunbrella material. Whoever you buy your cover from buy one made with Sunbrella, the material lasts for years.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
Hello all! I just purchased a 2017 XLR 29HFS and I’ve noticed other posts about covers didn’t really get much input. Hopefully I’ll get some responses.
That is because this question usually starts another world war...

Quote:
I’m looking for the best cover I can buy that won’t wear out or fall apart too quickly. Also, any advice on WHERE to buy the cover to get the best deal?

Any other advice? I guess use pool noodles for the edges of the trailer to protect it and the cover? Maybe beach ball on the roof to protect things like the TV antenna?
Somehow I doubt any of those methods are going to be good for your RV, not too mention that most of that stuff probably won't fit under the cover and stay...most especially the beach ball!

I would love to find a good cover that won't damage our RV's and last for years on end...

But unfortunately I just don't think one is made...unless you build a garage or other type hard covered structure.

I've seen far too many of those covers not even last one winter until they are ripped to shreds...but I do live out in the wild wild west!

I figure that our RV's are meant to be outside...

After all, how many of us cover our houses with canvas covers when we go out glamping?

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Sun exposure just ruins stuff over time. I'm considering getting a cover for my little trailer too, minimize UV exposure during the winter when it could be parked for months. I'll be monitoring this thread to see who had luck with what.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Sun exposure just ruins stuff over time. I'm considering getting a cover for my little trailer too, minimize UV exposure during the winter when it could be parked for months. I'll be monitoring this thread to see who had luck with what.
You are only going to get good reviews about RV covers here as most posters who don't like RV covers know better than to post their opinions about them here.

Same thing with the 'slide topper' question...

Guess I haven't learned my lesson yet...

Old 10-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Maybe most cost effective in long run to put some kind of car port structure over it then, like one of those pole type things, which I know will end up costing more than I care to pay. Screw it. I'll probably end up getting some covers for the tires so the UV doesn't eat them up and be done with it.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Maybe most cost effective in long run to put some kind of car port structure over it then, like one of those pole type things, which I know will end up costing more than I care to pay. Screw it. I'll probably end up getting some covers for the tires so the UV doesn't eat them up and be done with it.
Here is mine sitting in the storage lot (taken just a couple of days ago) in the Yuma, AZ desert:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181001_105224064.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	188627  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'll give you some of my ice and snow this winter, lol.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
I'll give you some of my ice and snow this winter, lol.
I still have one of my snow shovels just in case...

This will be my first winter down here...

Although the locals call it 'summer'...
Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #10

The only cover that lasts.............. involves a roof of some sort..... Depending on where you live, and climate 2-4 years at best for an RV cover plus possible RV damage from the cover........

As you can tell we do not cover our RV with an RV cover. Tried one once in 35 years it lasted a month............ too windy where I live.

Others will disagree....................................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
The only cover that lasts.............. involves a roof of some sort..... Depending on where you live, and climate 2-4 years at best for an RV cover plus possible RV damage from the cover........

As you can tell we do not cover our RV with an RV cover. Tried one once in 35 years it lasted a month............ too windy where I live.

Others will disagree....................................
In Colorado and down here in the southwestern desert...more like 2-4 months.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #12

The fabric is less important than eliminating all the sharp edges, antennas, rain spouts and corners before putting the cover on.

Sunbrella fabric will probably last beyond the life of the RV and certainly beyond your ownership -- it's commonly used as sail and boat covers and sits out in the sun, rain, and snow 24/7/365 --but if it's ripped at the corners in one season it's no better than a $250 cover. Sunbrella is very expensive but worth it for some applications where tearing and abrasion is not a problem. The stitching is the weak point.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
Navy06RET

Eevelle Goldline at National. I had the Expedition type on last trailer, 3 year warrantee. Had some tears after 2.5 years and National replaced no cost after sending pictures. Now have the Goldline with 5 yr. warrantee on new TT.

https://www.nationalrvcovers.com/s/t...covers/29.html
dascribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #14
Navy06RET

PS: I've had Adco covers in the past. DON'T.
dascribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #15

Well... my Classic Cover lasted less than a year. the middle of the edges both front and back wore through the nylon fabric. The side finally ripped from end to end. The Sunbrella cover from Cal Mark is the way to go. I've had boats with those covers and they last for years and don't fade. I just requested my quote.
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #16

Share your Sunbrella quote, please. I'm curious.

I've used Sunbrella for industrial awnings. sail covers, biminis and cockpit enclosures, and a full cover for my lil C-Dory 16 Cruiser (yep, a 16' cabin cruiser). But it it seems beaucoup expensive and would still require significant padding on my trailer.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #17

I buy a $ 400 dollar cover from camping world lasts 2 years then buy another when you look at a $400 dollar cover that lasts 2 years not a bad deal compared to having my boat wrapped for $300 dollars for 7 months
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
I buy a $ 400 dollar cover from camping world lasts 2 years then buy another when you look at a $400 dollar cover that lasts 2 years not a bad deal compared to having my boat wrapped for $300 dollars for 7 months

That’s what I am thinking. I’m curious what people do to protect against the sharp edges. I heard people put tennis balls on the gutter/downspout jut-outs. Other than that I’m not sure if I should do anything else.
scottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Had to look up what a bimini was. Turns out they are part of the Bahamas. Damn big cover!
Old 10-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

That link DAScribner posted about the Goldline with 5 year warranty was a MUCH better deal. If I went that route, I would rather pay the 500 or so for a 5 year warranty cover. That's a hundred a year vs. 200 a year.

Tags
cover, storage