Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #21
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
You are in the home of the most rv dealerships per capita and you went to Camping World? Is it still the policy of Camping World to not accept trades? Here's why. They prey on rookies. Rookies don't have trades. Stay away. There are over 100 dealers within 200 miles of you.
I went to Camping World because that's where I bought my 2016 XLR Thunderbolt and they have my service contract. They do take trade-ins, had a few there for sale, but to get a trade in quote, it has to be linked to an offer. I'm not a rookie. I was just doing a casual walk through to get an idea of new design features. I'm not buying at the moment, just shopping. I've learned a lot from this thread and do plan on visiting other dealers. Including one who carries the DRV Full house. Which I had never heard of prior to this post. Being from California, it is amazing at the amount of RV dealers here in Texas.
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #22
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I try not to check out new models as my 2015 5'ver and 2015 Chevy 2500HD are both paid off in full and I plan on keeping it (them) for a long long time.

Or selling it (5'ver - will keep the truck no matter what) if and when I decide that I no longer want a camper in my life, which may not be that far off in the future!

This way I can keep temptation at bay!

It has been a couple of weeks more than one year since my life took an unexpected and dramatic turn, so RV'ing has been slowly fading as a major part of my life.

Time will tell if it stays...or goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerUtahOverlook-P1020106.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	911.1 KB
ID:	193438   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	883.6 KB
ID:	193439   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerUtahKOA-P1020457.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	193440   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerBlueMesaView-PA111414.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	628.1 KB
ID:	193441   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerInSedonaAZ.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	193442  

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:25 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I own a Heartland Bighorn that is Full Time rated and Warranted for such. They extended the warranty to 3 years for FT living on the Bighorn and Landmark. My FR option was Riverstone for FT use and no stocking dealer anywhere in Ontario.

I gave up on forest river after seeing quality deteriorate on lessor non FT models we were looking at at. In fact one FR model we looked at was brand new (just arrived) and still on the dealers lot 3 years later remaining unsold.

The salesman has a job. Misinformation on internet forums should not be taken as authoritative. Check the manufacturer or dealers.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnolasco View Post
I've learned a lot from this thread and do plan on visiting other dealers. Including one who carries the DRV Full house. Which I had never heard of prior to this post. Being from California, it is amazing at the amount of RV dealers here in Texas.
The link below is one of the most recommended DRV Dealers out there and I have heard only good things about them, you might want to start there if you look at a Full House.

Rolling Retreats RV Sales- "Suites are all we do!"
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #25

Quote:
I went to Camping World because that's where I bought my 2016 XLR Thunderbolt and they have my service contract. They do take trade-ins, had a few there for sale, but to get a trade in quote, it has to be linked to an offer. I'm not a rookie. I was just doing a casual walk through to get an idea of new design features. I'm not buying at the moment, just shopping. I've learned a lot from this thread and do plan on visiting other dealers. Including one who carries the DRV Full house. Which I had never heard of prior to this post. Being from California, it is amazing at the amount of RV dealers here in Texas.
Just an FYI on the trade in “stipulation”. Want to know why you can’t get a trade in quote without a sales contract?

Because they don’t want you to know how bad they are ripping you off. I have close personal friends in the business and this is an old tactic.

If they tell you up front what your trade is worth, they might give you a price around 35% of current real value. Maybe. They would rather wait, see what coach you pick, and then decide how much extra money they can add to that price to inflate you trade in value.

Let’s say you have a 2016 XLR 375AMP (pretty desirable floorplan btw). They will list it after you leave around 59k. They will truly give you about 22k trade in. Of course they could not tell you that straight to you face as you would walk away mad at that insult. So instead they wait. Wait for you to pick out a coach that MSRPs around 105k, but they can really sell OTD for around 65k. They also see how many up charges and fees they can unload on you. Once they have that new coach priced OTD around 95k they tell you they will give you 35k on trade.

They have now sold you a coach they could sell for 65k for 60k after trade. And they also have a used coach to list around 59k they basically just paid 5k for.

Any honest sales lot can tell you UP FRONT what your trade is worth, and then work up a good deal on a new coach separately.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Very few 5th wheels are officially rated for full timing.
What distinguishes a coach that is rated for full-timing from one that isn't?
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
Primarily, the manufacturer's warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #28
Full-time 5'er

size, length, and square footage of living area. Comfort is a key issue. You'll need more room than a part time vacationer. Room to cook, relax, guests, visitors, dining, sleep, and do paperwork.
Storage space. You'll be carrying more supplies than a part time vacationer. You'll need room for tools, all season clothing, recreational gear, skis, hiking gear, office supplies, cleaning supplies, etc.
Quality of appliances. Residential fridge with ice maker, convection oven, 3 burner cook top, electric heater, furnace, roof vents with fans, at least one AC.
Fit & finish by manufacturer. You'll want solid wood cabinetry assembled with screws. Not particle board with simulated grain assembled with brads and stables.
Stay away from plumbing and wiring that's assembled with wire ties, hose clamps, and duct tape.
Quote:
size, length, and square footage of living area. Comfort is a key issue. You'll need more room than a part time vacationer. Room to cook, relax, guests, visitors, dining, sleep, and do paperwork.
Storage space. You'll be carrying more supplies than a part time vacationer. You'll need room for tools, all season clothing, recreational gear, skis, hiking gear, office supplies, cleaning supplies, etc.
Quality of appliances. Residential fridge with ice maker, convection oven, 3 burner cook top, electric heater, furnace, roof vents with fans, at least one AC.
Fit & finish by manufacturer. You'll want solid wood cabinetry assembled with screws. Not particle board with simulated grain assembled with brads and stables.
Stay away from plumbing and wiring that's assembled with wire ties, hose clamps, and duct tape.
LAST
A good warranty and roadside service contract.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Primarily, the manufacturer's warranty.
This.

Unfortunately, I can point out “fulltime warranted rigs” that run contrary to every point by mnolasco.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #30

I keep looking at one, but not ready to buy another yet. I talked to a couple FT 3 years and another 2 years in the Montana TH. One said it was the only model that would fit his oversize golf cart.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #31

Quote:
I just spent an hour with a salesman at the Camping World in Katy, Texas. He told me that the only 5th wheel toy hauler made for full-timers is the Heartland Cyclone. They just happened to have two in stock on sale. Any comments on this? I've spent two years in my 2016 XLR 375 AMP so far. It's been OK for my first rig.Attachment 193380

Mike & Linda

What ever decision you make, I hope it makes you happy. None of the rest of us have to be happy about it.

Having said that, my experience with Camping World RV Salesmen is that they all acted as they were selling used cars last week.

Enjoy your new RV, what ever it is

Newt

PS, that experience was in Katy
Newtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 PM   #32
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtm View Post
Mike & Linda

What ever decision you make, I hope it makes you happy. None of the rest of us have to be happy about it.

Having said that, my experience with Camping World RV Salesmen is that they all acted as they were selling used cars last week.

Enjoy your new RV, what ever it is

Newt

PS, that experience was in Katy
No decisions necessary. I was only looking at new models, not shopping. I'm already quite content with my current 5th wheel toy hauler. I don't know who "the rest of us" is, and my post was not intended to address anyone else's happiness. I simply find the discussion on what is the best 5th wheel RV interesting.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:54 AM   #33

Salesman Recomendation??

Best full timer would always be based on your needs and your budget. I think you will find there is no actual best that everyone will agree on but there will be an excellent selection of really nice choices. Do you need a toy hauler or would you rather have something without a garage. Insulation is important along with a good generator. Solar panels are a nice option. Wood or aluminum frame? Self leveling or manual? How about slide outs? It all adds up.

I have a 2018 Grey Wolf 26RR tow behind and while it works for us right now I highly doubt we would be happy with it as full timers and had no intention of attempting it. I bought it so we could get out there and find out what the best is from the people living in them. I've seen setups that made my jaw drop and others that just seem very comfortable and would be very acceptable. Do your research and buy what's best for you. Save the salesman for entertaining story's and your best deal.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #34

Montana 5th wheels are rated full time, according to them!

They're all junk, some just more expensive than others!
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #35

Quote:
They (full-time RV's) are built more robustly to handle the extended wear...have much better insulation in the walls, ceilings and most especially the underbelly, plus will have heaters on the water and sewer tanks and some of the plumbing that may be more prone to freezing, better carpet, more clothes closets and food storage capacities, washer and dryer hookups, residential refrigerators (or at least larger fridges) and more.

They also tend to be a lot more expensive as well!
Old 12-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #36

Love my Windjammer to death, but when Momma and myself retire it will be a Montana 5th wheel.

You should really look at them, best selling 5th wheels for upteen years in a row, and they are all rated for full time and cold etc. Nice floor plans too...

Good Luck Folks, Stay out of Camping World !
Old 12-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #37

I don't think that every Montana 5'ver model is rated or built for full time living...
Old 12-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Very few 5th wheels are officially rated for full timing.
There are ratings as to if a RV is good for full timing?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSmitty View Post
There are ratings as to if a RV is good for full timing?
Of course there is...just like tow ratings on a vehicle!

Some are made to handle it (full time living)...most aren't.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #40
Bob & Donna

Haven't seen this mentioned in the 4 pages of replies.
Toy Haulers
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote