Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #1

Blue ox sway pro?

Think I'm getting a blue ox sway pro to go with my new 29hfs. Just wondering what bars to get the 1000 or the 1500?. I have a 2014 Chevy 2500 gasser. Probably every trip will have a electric golf cart in the back.
forrest46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

Blue ox sway pro?

You trailer tongue and total weight will determine what bars to get. Our trailer is pretty nose heavy so I ended up with 2,000 bars. Our gas golf cart sits right over the trailers wheels so our load doesn't effect the tongue very much.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

*cough*look at the Equalizer*cough*

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #4

I loved my Blue Ox Sway Pro before we got the 5th wheel. It was such an easy hitch to use and it was quiet. The Equalizer is a great hitch too, but it was too noisy for me. You know when an Equalizer coming through the campground. Lol. Toyhaulers are pretty tongue heavy, I'd get at least the 1500 bars with the Blue Ox.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #5

I have a 29HFS as well with a Sierra 2500 gasser. In theory you'd need the 1500 bars, but with toys in the garage (even with a full fresh water tank) it still didn't ride right so I ended up getting a 1000 pound set as well. They seem to ride better.

I would guess with no toys the extra tongue weight may need the 1500s but haven't tried that yet.
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

I get all the WDH I need with or without toys with the Andersen 3380 ... and the entire system weighs less than 60 lbs.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

Hensley Hitch

Check into a Hensley Hitch. Pricey, but no sway, especially when you travel as many miles as we do. It also can be traded back in when you quit using it. Lot of Suburbans pulling Airstreams use it. I have no sway with 40 mph crosswinds. They do sell reconditioned ones with full factory warranty.
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #8

Blue Ox is a great hitch, really like ours. Which bars you need, depends on tongue weight... call Blue Ox, they are great to work with.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
Check into a Hensley Hitch. Pricey, but no sway, especially when you travel as many miles as we do. It also can be traded back in when you quit using it. Lot of Suburbans pulling Airstreams use it. I have no sway with 40 mph crosswinds. They do sell reconditioned ones with full factory warranty.
If you have interest in a Hensley, also check the ProPride. Same basic design, different install. A guy on the Airstream forum compared the two - he owned both. His pictures indicate that at the time, PP did better machining and build.

There is a LOT of info on both hitches on that forum.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #10

Propride vs Hensley

I cannot afford the luxury of owning both, so I went by my buddies recommendations and purchased the Hensley. I do not know if he was ever aware of Pro Pride. All I know safety is worth every penny. It is dangerous with sway. I had a little Aliner pulling with a Grand Marquis from Florida to Gettysburg and I was all over the road. I will never do that again. Size and Tow Vehicle combo is most important and can create a really dangerous situation that could kill a person.
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
All I know safety is worth every penny. It is dangerous with sway.
X2. After the research I did, I won't pull a TT without either a Hensley or a ProPride.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, sway