Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #21

well i hope this isn't real common and only effecting a few . i just purchased a 15 29hfs . would hate to have to have it in the shop , or start a suit against forest river . one yr bumper to bumper . i won't try to repair cabinets doors that strip out i will want whole new door. guess i will see pick my unit in in april when i head out east . need to make a call to the dealer and make sure all is good , because when it's delivered it better be perfect without any damage or signs of leaks etc or i won't sign for it and make them take it back
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #22
XLR Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieburnett2 View Post
Hello all! My wife and I have had ours for about 6 months now and we use it a good bit! When we picked it up we found some issues,
screws coming out of bedroom door hanger
shower door handles fell off (both sides)
light switches controlling the wrong lights
Thermostat in garage out of range
Awning on the back leaking between camper and awning
Cabinet handle making marks in the refrigerator doors when slide is in
LCI remote not setup correctly, awnings working in reverse
Outside bottom panels has stains that will not wash off
Front awning badly wrinkled and out of alignment (will not retract fully without help)
Will not except fuel in both tanks
Bedroom slide has fault code about motor, (will not work unless you do a override)

This is what we have seen so far! LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR! WE LOVE OUR XLR 415amp!

I really want to tell people that are looking to buy one that everything has been "Top Quality" but I have not been totally convinced yet. I would love to tell folks that if you have a problem that the dealers will take care of you but I can't yet and here why, I have taken my unit to the dealer, and pointed out all of the issues. They have taken care of most of the items except for a few issues like smudges on the bottom portion that will not come off. Awning anchor screw left out and now awning is stretched. He said that FR denied the claim!

My wife is MAD and I have a empty wallet, and I don't know who to call.

I see that someone said to look on the FR site for phone numbers so I will try this.

Donnie
Go to the forest river website and pull up the XLR section. On there you will find the warranty and service department phone number. Give them a call.
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #23

Don't like reading about all these issues on new units and then to hear forest river is denying what seems like most of it . it is time all this get documented and sent off to forest river ,can any body say class action suit , Haven't even gotten my unit and now wondering if a made a good choice with forest river unit . i will go through mine with a fine tooth comb if it's not perfect I'm not accepting delivery until it's made right and they can pay to ship it both ways
Old 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #24

Bad news travels fast and lasts forever on the net. You don't hear from all the satisfied customers (the majority of buyers....) They are too busy enjoying their unit. Don't sweat it until you get it. It will most likely be just fine...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #25

My 2014 300x12 has traveled over 2800 miles on 5 trips with no issues except what I created.
So far so good !😊

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #26

taken: you're correct . i'm sure there are way more satisfied customers then not . I would like to hear some stories from then and how well forest river preformed to solve there issues or how it was all trouble free . one dealer i had talked to before my purchase said forest river was difficult to deal with on warranty work . and then read a few issues here makes you wonder . hope it all goes well
Old 02-12-2015, 12:57 AM   #27

I had a few issues with my '15 XLR. Needed a new fridge, replaced by dealer under warranty. Small leak in roof around AC. Fixed by dealer under warranty. Awning LEDs separating from the body, as well as part of the awning track, fixed by dealer under warranty. Paneling over sink sagged in the middle (apparently they didn't put enough and/or properly spaced nails/brads in at the factory,) also fixed by dealer under warranty. Other than the fact that I ordered the camper with a gray exterior and it came through with a white one, I think FR has done well by me so far. Plus I suspect that the exterior color screw-up may have been my salesman's fault and not FR's!

So, to quote Aaron Rodgers here: RELAX. Check it out when you get it. There will be minor stuff wrong, but don't panic. Keep an open mind and open lines of communication with your dealer, and you'll be a happy camper before you know it...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:02 AM   #28

Unlike cars there built by people and we all know no one is perfect. I opened a can on that one
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #29

I may have jumped to gun a bit with the dealer stating the clam of denial.

This is what I did, good people on here gave good info and I took them up on calling the FR folks. Great move on my part. They have records to prove they don't just deny claims. It turns out that the dealer when to the manufacture of the canopy and they denied the clam, said the screw was not installed from factory. That makes sense because that is exactly what happened.

In other words if you have problems check with Forest River not just your dealer.

I realize that they will be bugs here in there and things will break and things will have to be covered in warranty. But all in all my experience with this XLR has been great we love it.

Donnie Burnett
Donnieburnett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I had a few issues with my '15 XLR. Needed a new fridge, replaced by dealer under warranty. Small leak in roof around AC. Fixed by dealer under warranty. Awning LEDs separating from the body, as well as part of the awning track, fixed by dealer under warranty. Paneling over sink sagged in the middle (apparently they didn't put enough and/or properly spaced nails/brads in at the factory,) also fixed by dealer under warranty. Other than the fact that I ordered the camper with a gray exterior and it came through with a white one, I think FR has done well by me so far. Plus I suspect that the exterior color screw-up may have been my salesman's fault and not FR's!

So, to quote Aaron Rodgers here: RELAX. Check it out when you get it. There will be minor stuff wrong, but don't panic. Keep an open mind and open lines of communication with your dealer, and you'll be a happy camper before you know it...

They may have been small but how many times back to the dealer , and how much time spent dealing with things that just weren't right . seems there's no excuse for a lot of this stuff , not like i have a forest river dealer around the corner . i hope mine is not as bad . lots of what you listed may be small but no reason for this in the first place . they are put together by professional or not . i could not and would not let work out like that . should have done more research .
I Live in Colorado bought this through a dealer in Ohio have it shipped to mo where i pick it up and then back to Co . I'ts not so easy to just take it to the dealer
Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
They may have been small but how many times back to the dealer , and how much time spent dealing with things that just weren't right . seems there's no excuse for a lot of this stuff , not like i have a forest river dealer around the corner . i hope mine is not as bad . lots of what you listed may be small but no reason for this in the first place . they are put together by professional or not . i could not and would not let work out like that . should have done more research .
I Live in Colorado bought this through a dealer in Ohio have it shipped to mo where i pick it up and then back to Co . I'ts not so easy to just take it to the dealer
Please don't think that you will keep it in the shop, there is a lot of options for you. The one BIG one is the super hero Diane @ Forest River warranty division for XLR. She has great news for you "if" you have problems.
Donnieburnett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieburnett2 View Post
Please don't think that you will keep it in the shop, there is a lot of options for you. The one BIG one is the super hero Diane @ Forest River warranty division for XLR. She has great news for you "if" you have problems.

Well just what might that news be . Don't mean to be sounding negative , haven't picked to unit up yet and now really wondering if i made the right choice with forest river . I know someone who owned to and he loved them so maybe i'm letting the reports of things falling off ,roof leaks and poor build get to me before i see my unit . all ready have issues with the axle ratings and waiting for a dealer response . i under stand the axles are 4400 lbs which puts you over there max load , with just the dry weight and then the cargo weight by 800 lbs
Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #33

You'll be fine. FR is a great brand. We've had three.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
You'll be fine. FR is a great brand. We've had three.

I'm sure it will ,It's not everyday i spend 25,000 on a unit site unseen . talked with a forest river dealer rep about load and axles , how i would use the unit and that I'm not your avg weekender , I carry water and fuel with me . that's why i want water tanks and a fuel tank , spoke with the dealer about really going through the unit before they ship it to me ETC . it's not an easy thing to read some comments about a unit you are paying for but have not even seen . Heck my first payment will be a month before i get the unit . I just want it all right and since the dealer is not local it kind of make ya nervous
Old 02-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #35

Not that I'm anywhere as nervous as you but just to be sure, I did opt to pick up my rig myself. I'm going to camp at the dealer a night or two and put all systems through their paces and if anything is wrong, they can fix before I depart. I too am buying from OH which is about a 12 hour trek for me, but I'm making a trip out of it and will enjoy the experience. My dealer, Jeff Couch's RV Nation, told me lots of people do this and they would happily fill my water tank and let me plug in to their electric while I'm there.

Don't get crazy about the forum gripes. People often only join forums to complain when something goes wrong. It's the same everywhere. I'm on a forum(s) for every interest I have. ATV's, RV's, snowmobiles, trucks, cars, motorcycles, PWC's, tractors, A/V, Wine, and firearms. Every one has people airing complaints about this brand or that. Heck, it's even been me in the past. If I listened to every one I'd never be able to buy anything ever again because every brand I own has been bashed here and there.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #36

Taken

I too am buying from couches , i live in Colorado and am driving to mo to pick it up when i go visit my parents , was going to have them ship it to mo . save me 700 mile round trip from mo to couches . at 637 i thought it would be worth it but am now considering going all the ay myself and doing just what you are . Couches as been awesome they are very accommodating, i could could save a few hundred by going myself
I just wish i had a 350 with a 6.7 instead of my 2500hd 4x4 6.0 gas .the duramax 3500 will come in a yr or 2 and the 2500hd will do the job without complaining

What WD are you going to use ? I'm leaning toward the andersen hitch
Old 02-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #37

Jeff Couch help us with everything when we pick up our 5th wheel.
You guys are in good hands, his staff will go out of there way to help you.

We stayed at a campground a few miles away and tested everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Taken

I too am buying from couches , i live in Colorado and am driving to mo to pick it up when i go visit my parents , was going to have them ship it to mo . save me 700 mile round trip from mo to couches . at 637 i thought it would be worth it but am now considering going all the ay myself and doing just what you are . Couches as been awesome they are very accommodating, i could could save a few hundred by going myself
I just wish i had a 350 with a 6.7 instead of my 2500hd 4x4 6.0 gas .the duramax 3500 will come in a yr or 2 and the 2500hd will do the job without complaining

What WD are you going to use ? I'm leaning toward the andersen hitch

Mine is a 5ver so no WD, but I would highly recommend the Equalizer setup. We had it on a past TT and it was outstanding. Easy to setup and even easier to use. I'm betting your truck will do better than you are thinking it will. My last one was a 250 with a gasser V10 and towed like a champ. I would consider going the trip yourself. Make it an adventure. For me, I like to drive and tow. RVing for me is as much about the trip as the stay so I am actually looking forward to the trip to get the new rig...
Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 PM   #39

Quote:
My dealer is 45 miles from my home. The XLR has been back there twice to fix the warranty items I listed. And you're just not thinking clearly on the subject if you think that every RV rolls off the line with zero problems. They all have kinks that need to be worked out when new--that's just how the industry is, Forest River or elsewhere. Part of being an RV owner is having a good dealer--at least sort of closeby--that you can trust to do the work when you can't do it yourself. I get that you probably saved a bunch of money by buying it at Couch several hundred miles away. But part of that "savings" is what you are discovering now--that sometimes that initial price savings isn't worth the headache of not having a local dealer you trust. Did I pay a little more for my unit buying it from my local dealer? Probably. But I have a good working relationship with a dealer that has a good reputation for service, and I've now bought two campers from them. They know me and my RV, and I'm at the top of the list when it comes to having work done.

You get what you pay for.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #40

That theory doesn't always play. My closest XLR dealer still wasn't local and was almost 2 hours away. They also wouldn't come within almost 10k of Couch's price. For almost 10k I can take the stress of a few things needing to be ironed out on my own. I also wouldn't bring my rig in for anything but the largest of complaints. It's just not worth it to hook up and drag it two hours because a drawer isn't closing correctly or a molding is loose. I'd fix these issues myself. Also, all the major appliances have a manufacturer warranty that can be honored and any local RV dealer of any brand. So, unless a slide was broken or something huge, I'd never need a "local XLR" dealer. A small leak around a vent or the AC is me and a $5 tube of Dicor lap sealant. Not me hauling 14,000 lbs of RV a hundred miles to my closest XLR dealer on principal because it's their responsibility. Hell, even if I had to pay the local RV fixit guy who comes to your house to fix something I couldn't, I'm still so far ahead on savings it's not even funny.

Tags
quality