Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
Can I adjust my awning?

I have a 2019 XLR Hyperlite 29 HFS. We’ve only used the trailer twice, and I don’t remember this during the walk thru, but my awning won’t close all the way. I made a warranty appointment, for October, ugh. But can I adjust this myself? The arms seem to have shifted to the right about 3/4” and they won’t close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99181498-F3FC-4A1A-884A-1E9646D68580.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	211032  
__________________

iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Zoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 204
After a period of time my awning rolled up slightly cocked. I put the awning all of the way out, stood on a picnic table, and pulled it straight. After about ten extensions it did the same thing. I finally decided the awning probably wasn't square and just live with it not parking all of the way. I'm about 1/4 inch out from coming in completely but it has never caused me an issue.
__________________

__________________
2015 XLR 29HFS Toy Hauler
2016 Ford F250 Lariat Crew Cab FX4 Power Stroke
2007 Harley Softail Deluxe
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
Commercial Member
 
ES_FR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 287
iammoco,

Thank you for being a part of the XLR family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new XLR Hyperlite. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Brent Stevens in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...99875369327447.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,631
Awning fabric shift and the ultimate result of the arms not closing has been an issue with awnings for many years. More so with the advent of electric awnings as these awnings get put in/out more regularly than the old manual awnings, simply by the ease of pushing a button.

Once you have your awning fabric centered and the arms work normally, place a pop rivet in the fabric and the tube to keep it from shifting again.

__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Thurman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 1,229
Yep, what 5picker said and suggested
__________________
2015 FR Freedom Express 310BHDS pushing a 2014 GMC Sierra CC
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
iammoco,

Thank you for being a part of the XLR family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new XLR Hyperlite. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Brent Stevens in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...99875369327447.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
Thank you, I appreciate it. I expect a few bumps with a new trailer, and my dealer has been more than helpful, just a back log with service. It seems mechanically ok, just wondering if it’s something I could do myself without having to wait for the warranty work.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 547
Please tell us how you address this once you do. I'll try 5Picker's suggestion when I get back to my camper. I have the same problem. Mine already has screws, but maybe they need to be adjusted. I've been climbing on the roof to align it before travelling, but this causes it to bind so much that it wont open automatically. Not recommended!
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Please tell us how you address this once you do. I'll try 5Picker's suggestion when I get back to my camper. I have the same problem. Mine already has screws, but maybe they need to be adjusted. I've been climbing on the roof to align it before travelling, but this causes it to bind so much that it wont open automatically. Not recommended!
'Most' all awnings have a screw(s) where the awning attaches into the channel on the side of the R/V but few have the pop rivet on the tube end.

You can only adjust the tube end of the fabric with the awning rolled out 'almost' fully. I say almost since you went a little slack in the fabric to allow you to pull and adjust the fabric centered with where it attaches to the R/V.

Sometimes a two person job (depending on awning length) with one person on a step-ladder pulling the fabric and another at the other end on a ladder pushing.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Bigred44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammoco View Post
I have a 2019 XLR Hyperlite 29 HFS. We’ve only used the trailer twice, and I don’t remember this during the walk thru, but my awning won’t close all the way. I made a warranty appointment, for October, ugh. But can I adjust this myself? The arms seem to have shifted to the right about 3/4” and they won’t close.

Hello, can you post how this is corrected in your case? I have a 2017 Heritage Glen 282 RK and I have the exact same issue. The fabric seems to roll up straight. I have been thinking it was the arm somehow got bent. I try not to ever leave it out in the wind or when gone. I just figured I made a mistake and the wind somehow got ahold of it. Sometimes that arm will chatter when I rolling it in also. Not sure if you are experiencing that.
Bigred44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred44 View Post
Hello, can you post how this is corrected in your case? I have a 2017 Heritage Glen 282 RK and I have the exact same issue. The fabric seems to roll up straight. I have been thinking it was the arm somehow got bent. I try not to ever leave it out in the wind or when gone. I just figured I made a mistake and the wind somehow got ahold of it. Sometimes that arm will chatter when I rolling it in also. Not sure if you are experiencing that.
My 282 RK does the same thing. I’ve not had a chance to put a river or screw as suggested. On mine the arms end up too far to the right when facing the camper. I lower the right arm to the lowest point grab the awning and pull while pushing the arm away. It slides pretty easily. I’ve marked a spot with a sharpie as to where the end of the awning should be. Then extend arm fully out and roll it in. In our walk through they said arms didn’t need to be fully extended to roll up the awning, but we found if you don’t have them both in the same position the problem is worse. And yes, that arm does chatter as well. So maybe someone knows of another issue we have.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 8
What brand of awning is that?
Huntnfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ohio North Coast
Posts: 502
Awning Arm Noise/Chatter

lewisra, just spray some lube on the piston shafts on the awning arms. Mine chatter on occasion and the lube takes care of the noise/problem.


Bob
__________________
2013 Ford F250 SD 6.7L
2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
Certified Rumble Strip Tester
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Gumpster808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 967
Can I adjust my awning?

X2 on the chatter. I used the same lube I use for the metal in the slides when I hear the piston chatter. Usually only needed once or twice a season.
__________________
Lynn & Dennis
Nights Camped 2017 - 35 / 2018 - 15
2014 3051S - First RV for us
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Toad
2015 Harley CVO (retirement bike )
2015 Challenger ( Wife's Toy)
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnfishn View Post
What brand of awning is that?
It’s a Solera Power awning. I believe that’s what comes on the Hyperlite models.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:08 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks all for the comments. I’ve received input from Forrest River and they’re saying it is as simple as pulling the fabric, on the tube end, in the opposite direction as the arms are offset. I’ll post again once I try this.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammoco View Post
Thanks all for the comments. I’ve received input from Forrest River and they’re saying it is as simple as pulling the fabric, on the tube end, in the opposite direction as the arms are offset. I’ll post again once I try this.
Did you ask about securing it so it doesn’t slide on the tube? Just wondering if they would or would not recommend it.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Did you ask about securing it so it doesn’t slide on the tube? Just wondering if they would or would not recommend it.
I didn’t ask, but will when I contact them again.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
For those that are interested, I was able to adjust the awning as suggested by Forest River. While the awning was open, I tugged on it in the opposite direction of how the bars were hitting the frame, and it seems to have worked, it closed how I would consider correctly.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 166
My awning has a self tapping screw to hold the fabric in place. I needed to adjust mine as well and had to re-seat the screw once I was happy with the awning alignment.
__________________

__________________
Old- 2002 21 Roo
New- 2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS
TV- 2010 Nissan Titan CC
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


×