Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #1

Can I adjust my awning?

I have a 2019 XLR Hyperlite 29 HFS. We’ve only used the trailer twice, and I don’t remember this during the walk thru, but my awning won’t close all the way. I made a warranty appointment, for October, ugh. But can I adjust this myself? The arms seem to have shifted to the right about 3/4” and they won’t close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99181498-F3FC-4A1A-884A-1E9646D68580.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	211032  
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #2

After a period of time my awning rolled up slightly cocked. I put the awning all of the way out, stood on a picnic table, and pulled it straight. After about ten extensions it did the same thing. I finally decided the awning probably wasn't square and just live with it not parking all of the way. I'm about 1/4 inch out from coming in completely but it has never caused me an issue.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
Commercial Member

iammoco,

Thank you for being a part of the XLR family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new XLR Hyperlite. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Brent Stevens in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...99875369327447.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Awning fabric shift and the ultimate result of the arms not closing has been an issue with awnings for many years. More so with the advent of electric awnings as these awnings get put in/out more regularly than the old manual awnings, simply by the ease of pushing a button.

Once you have your awning fabric centered and the arms work normally, place a pop rivet in the fabric and the tube to keep it from shifting again.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Yep, what 5picker said and suggested

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
iammoco,

Thank you for being a part of the XLR family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new XLR Hyperlite. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Brent Stevens in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...99875369327447.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
Thank you, I appreciate it. I expect a few bumps with a new trailer, and my dealer has been more than helpful, just a back log with service. It seems mechanically ok, just wondering if it’s something I could do myself without having to wait for the warranty work.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #7

Please tell us how you address this once you do. I'll try 5Picker's suggestion when I get back to my camper. I have the same problem. Mine already has screws, but maybe they need to be adjusted. I've been climbing on the roof to align it before travelling, but this causes it to bind so much that it wont open automatically. Not recommended!
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Please tell us how you address this once you do. I'll try 5Picker's suggestion when I get back to my camper. I have the same problem. Mine already has screws, but maybe they need to be adjusted. I've been climbing on the roof to align it before travelling, but this causes it to bind so much that it wont open automatically. Not recommended!
'Most' all awnings have a screw(s) where the awning attaches into the channel on the side of the R/V but few have the pop rivet on the tube end.

You can only adjust the tube end of the fabric with the awning rolled out 'almost' fully. I say almost since you went a little slack in the fabric to allow you to pull and adjust the fabric centered with where it attaches to the R/V.

Sometimes a two person job (depending on awning length) with one person on a step-ladder pulling the fabric and another at the other end on a ladder pushing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammoco View Post
I have a 2019 XLR Hyperlite 29 HFS. We’ve only used the trailer twice, and I don’t remember this during the walk thru, but my awning won’t close all the way. I made a warranty appointment, for October, ugh. But can I adjust this myself? The arms seem to have shifted to the right about 3/4” and they won’t close.

Hello, can you post how this is corrected in your case? I have a 2017 Heritage Glen 282 RK and I have the exact same issue. The fabric seems to roll up straight. I have been thinking it was the arm somehow got bent. I try not to ever leave it out in the wind or when gone. I just figured I made a mistake and the wind somehow got ahold of it. Sometimes that arm will chatter when I rolling it in also. Not sure if you are experiencing that.
Bigred44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred44 View Post
Hello, can you post how this is corrected in your case? I have a 2017 Heritage Glen 282 RK and I have the exact same issue. The fabric seems to roll up straight. I have been thinking it was the arm somehow got bent. I try not to ever leave it out in the wind or when gone. I just figured I made a mistake and the wind somehow got ahold of it. Sometimes that arm will chatter when I rolling it in also. Not sure if you are experiencing that.
My 282 RK does the same thing. I’ve not had a chance to put a river or screw as suggested. On mine the arms end up too far to the right when facing the camper. I lower the right arm to the lowest point grab the awning and pull while pushing the arm away. It slides pretty easily. I’ve marked a spot with a sharpie as to where the end of the awning should be. Then extend arm fully out and roll it in. In our walk through they said arms didn’t need to be fully extended to roll up the awning, but we found if you don’t have them both in the same position the problem is worse. And yes, that arm does chatter as well. So maybe someone knows of another issue we have.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #11

What brand of awning is that?
Huntnfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #12

Awning Arm Noise/Chatter

lewisra, just spray some lube on the piston shafts on the awning arms. Mine chatter on occasion and the lube takes care of the noise/problem.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #13

Can I adjust my awning?

X2 on the chatter. I used the same lube I use for the metal in the slides when I hear the piston chatter. Usually only needed once or twice a season.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnfishn View Post
What brand of awning is that?
It’s a Solera Power awning. I believe that’s what comes on the Hyperlite models.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:08 AM   #15

Thanks all for the comments. I’ve received input from Forrest River and they’re saying it is as simple as pulling the fabric, on the tube end, in the opposite direction as the arms are offset. I’ll post again once I try this.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammoco View Post
Thanks all for the comments. I’ve received input from Forrest River and they’re saying it is as simple as pulling the fabric, on the tube end, in the opposite direction as the arms are offset. I’ll post again once I try this.
Did you ask about securing it so it doesn’t slide on the tube? Just wondering if they would or would not recommend it.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Did you ask about securing it so it doesn’t slide on the tube? Just wondering if they would or would not recommend it.
I didn’t ask, but will when I contact them again.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #18

For those that are interested, I was able to adjust the awning as suggested by Forest River. While the awning was open, I tugged on it in the opposite direction of how the bars were hitting the frame, and it seems to have worked, it closed how I would consider correctly.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #19

My awning has a self tapping screw to hold the fabric in place. I needed to adjust mine as well and had to re-seat the screw once I was happy with the awning alignment.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning