Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

Can I run HDMI cables?

Hello everyone I'm just trying to get opinions or recommendations on how I can run HDMI cable's.
I have a 29HFS and they come wired with coax. Does anyone have experience pulling HDMI cable's or is it even possible?
The reason I want to do this is I have a tailgater satellite dish and single receiver. I want to run split the signal through all TVs. I understand The same channel will display on all TVs but that's okay. Just looking for opinions.
STLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

Yep. Just figure out the length you need and order that size. HDMI comes in 25', 50', etc. length.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

If you're wanting to replace the coax with HDMI, you can probably tape one end of the HDMI to one end of the coax and pull the coax from the other end and pull the HDMI in where the coax was. That assumes, of course, that they didn't staple the coax to anything inside where you can't get at it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

That's exactly my concern. I'm afraid they stapled the cables or used ties in the walls or ceiling. My greatest fear is I get one pulled halfway and it gets stuck.
My goal is to run HDMI and coax at the same time using the existing coax to pull them so that I can have dual outlets and switch between inputs such as satellite dish or antenna.
Hopefully bulletBob sees this post and comments.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

Unfortunately I do not think anyone is going to be able to tell you that some installer along the production line decided to put a staple over the coax to hold it out of the way of something.

Keep in mind that the plug end of an HDMI cable is larger than Coax. You most likely would not be able to simply pull the wire as previously discussed. You would need to pre-drill appropriate sized holes and then run the wire.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 04-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #6

That's the reason I said I hope bullet Bob read and replied. He is the plant manager and knows how these are put together from top to bottom. Also if you remove the plates most of the holes are very large.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #7

Can I run HDMI cables?

If you can get an HDMI cable to pull to the garage from living room - you better go buy a lottery ticket 😃😃😃. I used to do a lot of wall fishing data wire ect ---

you can get a flex bit at Home Depot and if your good drill down wall in garage to underside run cable under then up to entertainment center - of course you will have to remove belly cover. - this method is a little difficult do to the location of current Jack.

A much easier method would be put a access plate/ hole (4x4 blank plate w wall insert) - under sink cabinet bathroom wall - that way it's hidden under sink cabinet, put access hole close to floor, drill down inside hole, inside wall down through floor -- run cable back to entertainment center for one end and drop a sting with a weight on it from garage outlet down wall to new access point to pull other end of HDMI cable up to new location. Living room could done the Same way cutting a access hole under bed in storage area....

Or even an easier way is to get direct TV with a wireless HDMI receiver

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #8

If HDMI cabling won't fit where you want it to go you can get HDMI over cat5 convertors and pull the cat 5 instead. They're about $50 for a pair but nice when you need them. There is also a wall plate that will get it done with 2 cat5's.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
Go Pack Go!!

I agree with Play....

Drilling down and running them on the underside of the RV is usually the only way to make it work. I measured out the lengths of HDMI cable I will need for the new RV we have on order two weeks ago, ordered lengths from Monoprice.com, and I already received them. They have the most variety at the best prices.

Not scheduled to get our RV until around Memorial Day, but also just picked up two Vizio E-series TV's (on closeout) for the inside of the new RV and a sound bar from Sam's Club after getting everything measured out. We have a third flat screen for the deck outside the entryway, and have a two room DirecTV HD-DVR setup. HDMI is the only way to go. This is what camping is all about.

Another note, the coax cables they run usually come off of a roll without the connectors on, so the holes as described earlier are likely too small for a HDMI to go through. They typically crimp the coax connectors on after the cable is run.
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #10

LOL Play Harder I haven't laughed like that at a post in a long time. That was awesome

Point taken on the difficulty pulling wire. And I may look into your suggestions. I'll be sure to share with you what I do.
Thanks for the input
Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #11

You could also go HDMI wireless. Ya, cost more but you don't have to tear up your trailer to get it working. Expect to pay around 190. for this. If you go this route don't go too cheap cause that is what you will get, a cheap not so solid system.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:45 AM   #12
XLR Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLfan View Post
Hello everyone I'm just trying to get opinions or recommendations on how I can run HDMI cable's.
I have a 29HFS and they come wired with coax. Does anyone have experience pulling HDMI cable's or is it even possible?
The reason I want to do this is I have a tailgater satellite dish and single receiver. I want to run split the signal through all TVs. I understand The same channel will display on all TVs but that's okay. Just looking for opinions.

Can you run it through the A/C ducts. I know I would if it was my coach.
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #13

I bought a long HDMI from Amazon and wired it under my trailer in 1/2" pvc conduit and drilled up through the floor where needed. This was cheap and easy. Just strap the conduit well.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #14

oops. It might have been 3/4 pvc but no difference. I acutually ran coax and hdmi in the conduit so I could have both signals to a newly installed outdoor tv.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
If HDMI cabling won't fit where you want it to go you can get HDMI over cat5 convertors and pull the cat 5 instead. They're about $50 for a pair but nice when you need them. There is also a wall plate that will get it done with 2 cat5's.
I did not know those existed! Very cool if they enable the same quality.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 04-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #16

Re: HDMI Wiring

Hi all. I do AV systems for a University. The newer HDMI deep Color now has a limit of 30 feet and using pro cable made of 22gauge conductors. This cable is about the same size as a 16/3 power cord ! HDMI connectivity was never intended for long runs !
I agree that routing in PVC conduct under the trailer would be best !
We use a converter to 8G cable, which is a shielded cat.6. That's good for 330 feet. I'm sure reg cat. 5 or 5A will work for runs in your trailer. There is a converter at the TV then that gives you HDMI .
Klaatu
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #17

What PH said X2. You will not pull HD cables using the coax. Even with out ends off; ain't happening... staples or not. I would use bed storage and bath sink cabinet to reduce visibility with use plates to hide holes; cables run on the bottom / under floor. Good time to insulated pipes, tanks and floor!! Watch the tanks and water lines as well as, gas and electrics. Or, go the wireless method. Havent tried wireless but if you can do it for a couple hundie and it works, its a no brainer. Even with CAT you're still running wire. HD over CAT is for when you already have CAT in place, IMO. You might get an HD cable from living room ceiling to front bedroom ceiling. I don't know for sure how similar our 29s are.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #18

I have done this in my mh, I split the hdmi signal to three tv locations. I finished with hdmi wall plates for an oem look. It will take you a while to find a route to run the cables, you should be able to get behind cabinets, fridge, microwave. do not pull the coax, it will already be split, you still need the coax for your satellite signal.
Leprechauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #19

I used wireless HDMI works great. IOGEAR has one I got mine at Amazon.
Tiger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
What PH said X2. You will not pull HD cables using the coax. Even with out ends off; ain't happening... staples or not. I would use bed storage and bath sink cabinet to reduce visibility with use plates to hide holes; cables run on the bottom / under floor. Good time to insulated pipes, tanks and floor!! Watch the tanks and water lines as well as, gas and electrics. Or, go the wireless method. Havent tried wireless but if you can do it for a couple hundie and it works, its a no brainer. Even with CAT you're still running wire. HD over CAT is for when you already have CAT in place, IMO. You might get an HD cable from living room ceiling to front bedroom ceiling. I don't know for sure how similar our 29s are.
i have not found an outside hook up for cable or sat . is there one if so where ?
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote