Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #21

Decided to overhaul my TV for s happy Towing year

Tw - no different than maintaining a manual - just different method ---and harder to do it yourself to rebuild --I can't imagine using a manual for towing - nowadays - -- too much work - I'm lazy now ----😮😮.

if you service your automatic trans very regularly as stated in manual change fluid at correct intervals - in my experience and others this means manually drain fluid change filter - this method can leave some old fluid in system but if you drain at trans and coolers - you'll get most - but key is to do it before it's do - before signs of burnt fluid - this is not a fast procedure and requires extra fluid.

also if towing you need the biggest transmission cooler you can fit in your rig also oversized pan - And trans temp Gauge - run synthetic trans fluid - HEAt is your enemy fluid breaks down and normally that's what burns up your Tranny ---- Don't have some minimum wage oil change place Backflush /power flush your tranny - If something is wrong - you just Backflush a whole bunch of bad material back through Tranny - -

If your out warranty on your tranny - there are a few things that are a must do to beef it up - because the stock GM ones will fail about 100k - I used to Race a long time ago - quite a bit - so it's been 20 years since I used to do a lot of engine building and some tranny rebuilds - it's been a flash back and I forgot how many pieces there is in a auto trans lol - fun stuff though.

I'm not a member of the Denali forum - Love quadrasteer - it's a pretty straight forward system and independent - has is own computer and sensors - totally independent of TV computer. - It's A Dana 60 1 ton axle so it's beefy - I think peeps overlook changing their rear end fluid as spec too causing failure - the quadrasteer take a special lube sea 80W-90 part # 89021671 expensive stuff but after looking at the rear end parts - that's some great stuff almost 300k and everything is to spec and looks great - it is a pain to get rear end cover off to inspec - cover is built in to steering mechanism.

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #22

I should put out a disclaimer --- 👀 I am no expert but do have a lot of experience in blowing stuff up and fixing it 😮😮😮😮😁😛

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #23
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Biggest problem with today tranny's is lack of converter drain plug.. so after a home service job, you'll still have 4/5 qts of what you've drained out. Also, the valve body and servos retain some, so you'd be lucky to drain 1/2 of whats there. In the old days, you could loosen a cooler line at the radiator and at idle, let the trans pump pump the old out.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #24

I like being able to downshift and hit the exhaust brake, I can roll off an interstate ramp without having to touch my brakes. But the stick is a huge pain in traffic, the clutch heats up with a lot of stop and go. I'm about done, especially since the new autos have 6 gears (or more) and have tow/haul modes to help with downshifting/braking.

So it sounds like what you all are saying is: get a bigger oil pan with a drain plug, drain the fluid (in the pan) probably more often than you should, and don't worry about "flushing" all the rest of the fluid out...even if there's some "old" fluid left in there, you're still changing most of it out for new. Plus run a big cooler and temp gauge. Does that sound right?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #25
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I like being able to downshift and hit the exhaust brake, I can roll off an interstate ramp without having to touch my brakes. But the stick is a huge pain in traffic, the clutch heats up with a lot of stop and go. I'm about done, especially since the new autos have 6 gears (or more) and have tow/haul modes to help with downshifting/braking.

So it sounds like what you all are saying is: get a bigger oil pan with a drain plug, drain the fluid (in the pan) probably more often than you should, and don't worry about "flushing" all the rest of the fluid out...even if there's some "old" fluid left in there, you're still changing most of it out for new. Plus run a big cooler and temp gauge. Does that sound right?
Alot depends on the area you drive, hills or mountains, how much your pulling, if the tv has been chipped.....heat is the biggest concern. The converter holds approx 4/5 qts, depending on trans type, so if bone dry, like after rebuild, alot of trans take 10/11qts. All trans have a drain back check valve in their design to keep conv. from draining back into trans when parked.When the auto co. decided to use quick couplers on the cooler lines, they screwed up the easy flush system. Exhaust brake effect...just downshift.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #26

Sounds like bob does more of theses than I do - the issue I have is the oil changers that use a Backflush system - I do use about double what I need - drain fill / drain fill - then remove pan and change filter -

Something that Diesel owners know about and are constantly watching is tranny temp and exhaust temps - for some reason Gas owners haven't been educated in the same way - if you overheat your tranny - you will be buying a new one -

Deep pan, large cooler or 2 and a temperature gauge keeps you in the know. Yes other failures can happen but you can avoid this one with a couple extra bucks

The new six speeds are amazing - my dads Ford F-150 Eco w max tow rated to 12500lb towing crazy for a 1/2 ton (I don't recommend a1/2 ton if I was buying a new vehicle) but any way the 6 speed was crazy smooth and had power no matter what you where trying to do w 8k hooked up -

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder

Tags
towing