Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
XLR Hyperlite FHS 19

Draining water tanks

I am the owner of a brand new XLR Hyperlite FHS 19. The trailer came with water in the potable water tank. I want to drain this water. There is no mention of how to do this in any of the dozens of manuals I've received.

I have looked under the trailer, and near the water tank and hot water heater are two tubes that point down. One has a blue cap on it, and the other has a red cap on it. Using logic, I figured the blue cap was the drain for the water tank, and the red cap was the drain for the hot water heater.

I removed the blue cap, and hot water began pouring out. I removed the red cap, and cold water began pouring out. This does not make sense. Did my drain hoses simply come with the colored caps switched? Are these in fact the drains for the hot and cold water tanks?

Any advice or assistance would be welcome!
Doug Vavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #2

The Blue and the Red are considered "Low Point Drains." They're for draining the water lines before winterizing. Most tanks have a a single line coming down with a cap or valve at the end.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
XLR Hyperlite FHS 19

They were the only things I could find under the trailer that drain water. I guess I'll have to do some more crawling around under the trailer to see if I can find additional drains.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #4

Agree with above. The blue and red should be pow point drains for hot and cold sides and would not drain the tank. the 3 FR products I have experience with, have another drain for the tank that is likely located right beneth the tank. my experience is it is white and located near/below the fresh tank fill. Cap screws off .... some may have valve to open.

Shouldnt have to do this but another way to empty would be turn on pump... open a sink faucet.... run the water into grey tank and dump. Probably wont get it all. Ther is a drain there somewhere.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
XLR Hyperlite FHS 19

Update

Spent more time under the trailer, and I found two tank drains between the axles. It seems they both drain the same tank, and are just at opposite ends/sides of the tank in the event the trailer isn't level when the tank is drained.

Now we all know where the tank and low point drains are on a 2019 HFS 19!
Old 07-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Did your dealer not show you these very important R/V 101 items on your brand new unit during your PDI/Customer Orientation?

Shame on them if they didn't and if they didn't, you likely have many more things you'll need to know about.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
XLR Hyperlite FHS 19

We spent over two hours at delivery walking around the outside, and then going through the inside to learn everything possible about the trailer.

I think this was the only item overlooked, as we received a detailed introduction to every other component.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Vavrick View Post
We spent over two hours at delivery walking around the outside, and then going through the inside to learn everything possible about the trailer.

I think this was the only item overlooked, as we received a detailed introduction to every other component.
I'm glad to hear they spent some time with you but that doesn't excuse the fact that knowledge of tank drains, low point drains and their operations are important in everyday use of your R/V. Not only for filling/draining but for winterizing, dewinterizing, tank sanitation, water heater bypassing, anode rod inspection, etc. They did you a disservice if they overlooked it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #9

On my Boost it is almost above an axle. It is very hard to see. Spend some time under there if you can.
2018 XLR Boost 27QRB
dustym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #10

Draining water tanks and checking tanks and plumbing

As an avid crawler under my toy hauler (), has anyone removed the covers under the camper that cover the undercarriage to protect from debris? They should also uncover the tanks and piping so I can see where everything is going.
witchbiker
witchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #11

To the O.P: Regard to the two tubes that you found- One is likely a drain, and the other is likely a vent. The vent should be open when you’re using the water from your tank so the air can get in as the water is pumped out. Otherwise you could potentially collapse your tank. I would put both caps on, fill the tank halfway, and then pull a cap off one at a time. The one that the water pours out of is the drain, and the other one is the vent.👍
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank, water, water tank