Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #1

Federal Certification label incorrectly states

manufacturer: Forest River, Inc.
SUMMARY:
Forest River, Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain model year 2014 XLR XLT29HSF fifth wheel recreational travel trailers manufactured October 10, 2013, through April 16, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the Federal Certification label incorrectly states that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 11,135 pounds instead of the correct GVWR of 9,774 pounds as well as incorrectly stating the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) as 5,080 pounds instead of the correct GAWR of 4,400 pounds. As such, the vehicles do not conform to Part 567, "Certification."
CONSEQUENCE:
If the trailer is loaded to the specifications listed on the label, tire failure may result, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Forest River will notify owners and will supply a corrected certification label, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in June 2014. Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-800-353-7383.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
DDC

Where does that leave someone who purchased this for the max GVWR of 11135? And now can't use it. Seems FR has taken the easy way out here instead of putting axles and tires to carry the weight it sold the trailers to carry, wonder how many there are it screams class action from where I sit, glad I don't have one but it makes one think when they see a company shirking their responsibility to the customer. They may be able to fillfil the intent of the law by replacing a label but they sure screw the customer. Just my two cents.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Where does that leave someone who purchased this for the max GVWR of 11135? And now can't use it. Seems FR has taken the easy way out here instead of putting axles and tires to carry the weight it sold the trailers to carry, wonder how many there are it screams class action from where I sit, glad I don't have one but it makes one think when they see a company shirking their responsibility to the customer. They may be able to fillfil the intent of the law by replacing a label but they sure screw the customer. Just my two cents.
But people don't buy based on the sticker, they buy based what is on the printed spec sheet and other printed material. So is it just the sticker that is wrong or is all the printed specs associated with this trailer wrong.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #4

Actually the sticker is already lower than the spec sheet and now they are trying to lower it more.
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Always Learning

egladden, it's common/expected for the yellow sticker to be lower than the advertised "Dry weight". The dry weights don't include any options (often mandatory) and is a fictitious number.

That said, my curiosity got me looking into it.

The website seems to currently reflect GVWR of 9,774 lbs (actually it has - 6968 (dry weight) + 2700 (cargo capacity) = 9668 lbs).

However, using the Wayback Machine, it looks like as recently as April 26, 2014 it had different numbers:
Internet Archive for XLR Specs page from April 26, 2014

It shows the same dry weight, but a cargo carrying capacity of 4,017 lbs.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #6

I don't have that little popcorn eating picture but this one will get interesting. Just a question but does anyone have a real and by real I mean that you did a real weight of your empty RV? This will always be part of the test drive I do before I ever buy any type of RV.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #7

The new sticker is Dry Weight 7088 and Cargo 2627 lbs. and the current sticker on my TT is Dry Weight 7088 and cargo capacity 3987. And when I got the spec sheet from a dealer it stated the 6968 Dry Weight and 4017 cargo.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #8

I would go very slow with this. In no way would I just except this without looking at the issue from every angle and getting good advice from RV people that know what they are talking about.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I don't have that little popcorn eating picture but this one will get interesting. Just a question but does anyone have a real and by real I mean that you did a real weight of your empty RV? This will always be part of the test drive I do before I ever buy any type of RV.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Attached Images

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

That is my intent. I just had an issue with a power jack that was installed by Forest River that was to small and quit working after the third time. It was an Atwood 2500lb model and if you read the manual from Atwood in the third paragraph under the word CAUTION it states that if using a WD hitch you must use a 3500lb jack so I called the dealer and he had the rep from Forest River call me to inform me that is the jack they always used with no problems and he basically said that I was on my own. I had the phone number to Forest River parts department that the dealer had given me because it had taken over a month to get some warranty parts for my TT that I needed a day after picking it up so I called and spoke with the parts rep and ask if I wanted to put a power jack on my unit what size should I get and she said min 3500 lb. I called back the factory rep with all of my findings and he told me that 4 days prior to that day they had switched to 3500 lb jacks on all units with power jacks.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #11

Thanks Turbs!

Old 06-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Thanks Turbs!
😉

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"