Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Question Generator Install Help Needed

We recently purchased a 26HFS with fuel station and generator prep. I then ordered a new Onan 4000 to install in the generator compartment.

Sunday I attempted to complete the install. I removed the compartment floor, lined the whole compartment with Dynamat Extreme for some sound deadening and then attempted to install the generator.

None of the mounting holes line up with the bolt locations on the generator, it appears like the cross braces are not properly installed in the camper.

Also, I expected the generator to fit down completely in the cut out and rest on the trailer frame, it does not. It actually sets on the edge of the plywood around the opening. Is this normal?

Any advice or guidance from previous install experience would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170212_114136.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	129886  
stevebarnett71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #2

I wonder if there's an install kit.. do you have a template of the mount?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #3

I don't believe there is an install kit. I spoke with someone at the "factory" and they say from inside the front cover of the generator they just shoot one lag screw into the plywood flooring and that is how it is secured....

I will find a better way.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarnett71 View Post
I don't believe there is an install kit. I spoke with someone at the "factory" and they say from inside the front cover of the generator they just shoot one lag screw into the plywood flooring and that is how it is secured....

I will find a better way.

That is how mine was done from the factory.
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTD View Post
That is how mine was done from the factory.
Seems pretty shady to me. I just can't install mine that way. I will post some pics of what I come up with.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #6

stevebarnet71, If you don't mine me asking, where did you get your Gen from?
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
stevebarnet71, If you don't mine me asking, where did you get your Gen from?
Bought it from my local Cummins Onan dealer. I did some internet searches first for the best price and they matched the best deal I could find.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

I'm not sure one lag would be muy bien, but a few more into 3/4 ply should actually hold. Its holding the walls on, after all. I'm surprised the factory didn't use staples. 1000 of those suckers would hold California onto the rest of the 48... but I don't know why you would want to
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I'm surprised the factory didn't use staples. 1000 of those suckers would hold California onto the rest of the 48... but I don't know why you would want to
WW
LOL
Warning minor political comment:
I'm supporting the California push to secede from the lower 48.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #10

Complete the generator install today. Used a sheet of aluminum to fabricate a proper mounting plate which I bolt into the compartment then attached the generator to the plate using the proper mounting locations on the bottom of the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170218_092020.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	130160   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170218_120421.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	130161  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #11

Unistrut

When I installed my onan 4k I used uni strut from lowes. It's in the electrical section. I bolted it to frame of trailer then used the brackets they sell and bolted it down. Worked great because the brackets can be offset. When I had my Genny serviced at onan the mechanic said if the trailer ever rolled the mount and genny would be the only thing to survive. "I build for stout, not looks!"
EHeki81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #12

Steve.. looks nice and the Hush mat should help with the racket.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 07-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #13

I like what you did Steve. I am just about to do the very same thing to mine this weekend (maybe) (need to find aluminium.)

I am told there is a transfer switch in behind the back wall of the generator compartment, in a space hidden from view from storage compartment on the opposite side, under the bed. Measurements tell me there is a 8" space in there and the cables don't come out opposite where they go in.

Is this true, did you tie in your power cables there?
XLR29HFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR29HFS View Post
I like what you did Steve. I am just about to do the very same thing to mine this weekend (maybe) (need to find aluminium.)

I am told there is a transfer switch in behind the back wall of the generator compartment, in a space hidden from view from storage compartment on the opposite side, under the bed. Measurements tell me there is a 8" space in there and the cables don't come out opposite where they go in.

Is this true, did you tie in your power cables there?
Hey X, yes that is where the transfer switch is; 8 inches is about right. Hard to get to and hard to work. But, there is a 4x4 box already there and wired to the WFCO T-switch for you to tie the generator's 60Hz into... mounted to the floor and more towards the front in that space... so not all that bad. 60Hz wise... a #10 from shore runs there as well as (of course) one from generator; then to the Dist Panel main. If it was me, I would get that thing (T-switch) out of there. Very difficult to work and I think using large wire-nuts is a poor way to tie into the T-switch, especially for something that will be bouncing down the road. I found and installed a decent terminal block and rewired the switch. I should have moved it first time I saw it. But, not everyone has installed 30A EMS then upgraded to 50A and not everyone is like me and can't make up their mind

One more point about sound insulation. I would add hush mat to the back side of the box while I had it open.

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #15

WolfWhistle described the location of the transfer switch and connection very well. Mine had the generator prep so I already had the wires running into the generator compartment from the transfer switch. The hush mat really did help with noise.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #16

Excellent. Thank you Wolf and Steve, you guys are making this so easy for me that I won't be able to take any credit.(but that's okay).
Why did you upgrade to 50A when the gen won't put that out?
I wanted the 5.5Kw EFI gen but it was too big for the compartment, thought of putting it on the tongue but the fuel system wouldn't support EFI. (more mods, need to save some for later). Got to track down some Hush stuff...
Old 07-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Excellent. Thank you Wolf and Steve, you guys are making this so easy for me that I won't be able to take any credit.(but that's okay).
Why did you upgrade to 50A when the gen won't put that out?
I wanted the 5.5Kw EFI gen but it was too big for the compartment, thought of putting it on the tongue but the fuel system wouldn't support EFI. (more mods, need to save some for later). Got to track down some Hush stuff...
X, thanks for asking... I never had any intention of powering the large AC unit with a genset. My thought was to provide a way to hook my small Honda was so in a pinch I could sleep in the back and run a small portable AC (Haier 8K)... enjoying it now (but on 50A service). Since the Magnum can power and all the GFCIs, the MW, and a few other outlets. The Honda 2000 main role was to be: to charge 460 Ah of FLA via the Magnum 100 amp charger, when the sun is not cooperative. I have never had to run it, yet.

My reasoning for going 50 amp service is so when at my property in SC on Lake Hartwell, I can power whatever is needed without so much a thought about tripping a breaker. Its been up here for several months problem free. Knock wood.

To be honest, what I built it to do, has been put on hold twice now and I just bought a truck camper to travel the country. I see no need to haul 35 feet of TH with it beating the heck out of me, when it is just me. The hassles (and there are many) outweighs my desire to bring a motorcycle with me when I travel.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #18

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the background story and viewpoints.
I am somewhat puzzled why I bought my toy hauler or the toys for that matter, but that is the path I am on now.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for sharing the background story and viewpoints.
I am somewhat puzzled why I bought my toy hauler or the toys for that matter, but that is the path I am on now.
I stay puzzled lately! Yes Sir, we are all on a path. The best advice I have heard is when you come to a fork in the road, take it... LOL. I would stick with the TH and toys for family and good times, but with just me... I'm kind'a over it. I have given serious thoughts to selling everything and disappearing into the sunset... or just give it away and go away.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #20

Great info, when I install mine I am going to try and jave the ability to pull it out (like a tray) do the have enough slack to accomodte my plan?
wkboardr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator