Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

Getting ready to purchase 29HFS

I have been looking for a TH for the past year and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I have been reading this forum for the past week or so (thank you all for you postings...) and would like to run a few things by this group.

I'm buying locally (in MN) and my dealer is pretty close to Jeff Couch's price. I know I could drive to Jeff's and save ~$1,000 but for having a dealer within 30 minutes and saving myself 2 days off of work is worth the extra cost. (but thank you for posting about Jeff's.....it did save me $$$).

My TH will have the Kick Start, Adrenaline and Extreme Weather packages (we do go early & late in the camping season...). We will be getting the recliners instead of the dinette and will be getting the pass thru dinette in the garage instead of the full bed. It will basically be my DW and myself in the camper. The kids or friends may join on a trip or two during the year but not often.

We are passing on the fuel station as we will be hauling cruisers and not 4-wheelers. Also, passing on the generator or setup as we have a Honda 3000 generator already. Finally, we are passing on the TV as we can pick one up at Target much cheaper.

I have confirmed the camper will have the 5,200 axles but I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to confirm before ordering. Is there anything this group would suggest I confirm with the dealer before I sign the dotted line?

I appreciate all the feedback/suggestions this group has. I'm looking forward to make quite a few of the mod's people have made (drink holders, drain extensions, under bed drawers, strengthening the tie downs, etc...). Now if someone can fast forward the calendar ~10 weeks...

Happy camping...
stevejd235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

We have one on order, fair price and best listener hands down was Kimberly Kroubetz at Kroubetz rv in southern mn, if you haven't called her I would highly recommend it, I called everywhere in and out of state.
Gbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #3

You should call National RV in Michigan. They don't beat everyone's prices they blow them away. I'd be surprised if they didn't beat your current dealer by $4,000. I drove up there from Indianapolis and well worth the trip.
STLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #4

I'm in Seattle and can't believe the price difference in OH, Detriot, IN compared to the west coast dealers on the XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf dealers out here are 12K to 20K higher it's crazy - so can you say road trip I pick up in OH March 23rd
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #5

My opinion was there is value in a good dealer. Price isn't everything. Last thing I want is to have a 50k camper sitting at a dealer who could care less to work on it because I bought it off the internet, question I had to answer is what was my family's vacation time worth to me.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #6

Getting ready to purchase 29HFS

I knew some one would say that ------ there is no XLR dealers within 2 hours of me but there is every other forest River Brand - and I mean every model 5 minutes from me and I have checked with them for no problem warranty Work

Cost is not every thing yes but 12k difference is a ripoff!

And as for vacation time - I'm going to a Can Am riders event the next state over on my way home -

NOT ALL dealers are created equal - I offered to pay the difference in shipping about 3k more but west coast dealers in OR and 1 in WA that has very bad customer service - where not interested in my business!

I don't know anybody that saving 12k doesn't put a smile on your face......

Know the whole story - get out an play Harder
Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

Not trying to fight about it. In my case there was a 3500 difference on a 50k rig, to me I chose to pay a little more.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
I have been looking for a TH for the past year and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I have been reading this forum for the past week or so (thank you all for you postings...) and would like to run a few things by this group.

I'm buying locally (in MN) and my dealer is pretty close to Jeff Couch's price. I know I could drive to Jeff's and save ~$1,000 but for having a dealer within 30 minutes and saving myself 2 days off of work is worth the extra cost. (but thank you for posting about Jeff's.....it did save me $$$).

My TH will have the Kick Start, Adrenaline and Extreme Weather packages (we do go early & late in the camping season...). We will be getting the recliners instead of the dinette and will be getting the pass thru dinette in the garage instead of the full bed. It will basically be my DW and myself in the camper. The kids or friends may join on a trip or two during the year but not often.

We are passing on the fuel station as we will be hauling cruisers and not 4-wheelers. Also, passing on the generator or setup as we have a Honda 3000 generator already. Finally, we are passing on the TV as we can pick one up at Target much cheaper.

I have confirmed the camper will have the 5,200 axles but I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to confirm before ordering. Is there anything this group would suggest I confirm with the dealer before I sign the dotted line?

I appreciate all the feedback/suggestions this group has. I'm looking forward to make quite a few of the mod's people have made (drink holders, drain extensions, under bed drawers, strengthening the tie downs, etc...). Now if someone can fast forward the calendar ~10 weeks...

Happy camping...
We will be placing out\r order very soon exactly the same as yours. One thing though, Just based on conversations I had, they will not build one with more that 4400lb axles. The frame is not build for the GVWR that 5200 lbs axles would imply. 4400lbs is plenty for their build and that is what you will get.
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #9

I agree that there is value in cultivating a good relationship with a local dealer that will do your warranty work. If its the difference of $1000, I'd say go with the dealer, and make sure the dealership owner KNOWS that you could have purchased from Couch for $1k less but you chose to buy from them because of the STELLAR service you know you'll be getting from them in the future. As RVers, we like to work on and mod our campers, but there's some things we just can't DIY, and having a good dealer that's willing to wrench on your stuff if you can't is invaluable. Well worth the extra $1k.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #10

Tv suggestion - I would get one at Costco - their warranty is 100 percent for 2years - have had to use warranty a few times over 10years in my RV and Costco just exchange Tv for same or current model - no hassles --- RV can be hard on electronics

Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavidHughes View Post
We will be placing out\r order very soon exactly the same as yours. One thing though, Just based on conversations I had, they will not build one with more that 4400lb axles. The frame is not build for the GVWR that 5200 lbs axles would imply. 4400lbs is plenty for their build and that is what you will get.
GDH,
I was pretty specific with my dealer on this topic. He indicated that FR is only supplying the 5200 axles on the 27 & 29 models. But like has been indicated on this forum multiple times, I will bring this up AGAIN and ensure which ones will be delivered. Can never be sure until I see it with my own eyes. I appreciate your comments/experience you have had with your dealer...
Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #12

Just call XLR Hyperlite
John A. Miller
Phone (574) 642-0439
Fax (574) 642-0449
Email: jamiller@forestriverinc.com

I hope I'm wrong but, if I am, it means all the weight specified on their web site are wrong.
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavidHughes View Post
Just call XLR Hyperlite
John A. Miller
Phone (574) 642-0439
Fax (574) 642-0449
Email: jamiller@forestriverinc.com

I hope I'm wrong but, if I am, it means all the weight specified on their web site are wrong.
GDH,
Appreciate the contact info...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #14

Quote:
GDH,
I was pretty specific with my dealer on this topic. He indicated that FR is only supplying the 5200 axles on the 27 & 29 models. But like has been indicated on this forum multiple times, I will bring this up AGAIN and ensure which ones will be delivered. Can never be sure until I see it with my own eyes. I appreciate your comments/experience you have had with your dealer...
from my experience with dealers lately . they don't know much about what their selling . i've been around on the 4400 and 5200 carousal . it's 4400 .
seems some have had warranty and given 5200 lbs axles , but it does not seem to be the norm , it is a hyperlite after all
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
GDH,
Appreciate the contact info...

Let us know what you come up with on the axle rates ?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #16

Sorry for the delays in responding, too many things going on with the family.

From the different calls with the Dealer and Forest River, #4400 is what the 29 will come with. Not sure how WW got the #5200's but everything that has been explained to me is that the #4400's is all you need when you subtract the TW. I'm afraid I will have to take the builders word.

On the majority of the trips, I will only be loading a single bike in back (~800lbs). From time to time, I will be bringing the brother-in-laws bike as well (another ~600 lbs). But I don't see us attempting to max out the full cargo limit. (I will keep track of the all the "stuff" I will be adding via the customizations...)

Now I just need to sit and wait the ~10 weeks for the build. May can't come soon enough. But reading all the comments on this forum will pass my time.

Happy Camping...
Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #17

I was told 8 weeks on my XLR build last year--ordered it on 3/14/14, and it didn't show up until 7/20/14, so it was more like 17 weeks. Don't make any plans until it's at the dealer...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 PM   #18

Steve . I've had concerns on the 4400 axles also but guess it is what it is . I see no good reason to build to max but we'll deal . i know my cargo is 2700 . take away bikes and garage gear i'm down to about 1150 for everything else . it's be tight for sure but only plan on having this unit for a yr or 2 at the most
Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I was told 8 weeks on my XLR build last year--ordered it on 3/14/14, and it didn't show up until 7/20/14, so it was more like 17 weeks. Don't make any plans until it's at the dealer...
I hope my order is not that long. But honestly can only HOPE.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Steve . I've had concerns on the 4400 axles also but guess it is what it is . I see no good reason to build to max but we'll deal . i know my cargo is 2700 . take away bikes and garage gear i'm down to about 1150 for everything else . it's be tight for sure but only plan on having this unit for a yr or 2 at the most
I hope to keep my trailer longer but not till I'm ready for a life change. (Kids are out if college...)