Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #21

Hmmmm, do you mean in the pit area as opposed to the camping area?
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpence1 View Post
Hmmmm, do you mean in the pit area as opposed to the camping area?
Anywhere. Folks are not there for the camping...they're there for the race. Even with no generators the noise level in the campgrounds is pretty high.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #23

that old saying you get what you pay for is not really true . as the hondas and yamahas are over priced so you get less then what you pay for . the champions are giving both a run for their money . the inverters are very quite and run great .being an old honda owner i never thought i would buy something else but after using the champions i see no good reason to throw away good hard earned money when the champions are work horses are quite and last . you can get two 2000 with the parallel kit with a 30 amp receptacle for less then one honda/yamaha 2000 . not only that you have a company that stands behind their product .
see no good reason to ever buy another honda now that champion has proven it's self .
after all with champion you get way more then you pay for
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #24

Has anyone come up with an extended run kit for the champions?

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post

and what do you mean by an extended run kit ????? run mine all day every day no issues so not sure what you mean maybe it's an extended remote gas tank? you can use the same boat style as they do with the other generators . 10 or 15 yrs ago honda / yamaha had no competition now they do and they can't keep up . sooner or later they will have to reduce their price to compete
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
and what do you mean by an extended run kit ????? run mine all day every day no issues so not sure what you mean maybe it's an extended remote gas tank? you can use the same boat style as they do with the other generators . 10 or 15 yrs ago honda / yamaha had no competition now they do and they can't keep up . sooner or later they will have to reduce their price to compete
Extended run means an external fuel tank feeding the generator. Also makes it much safer to refuel because you're not pouring gas into a tank sitting on top of a hot generator.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #27

Please get an inverter generator, you don't want to be that guy with a construction style generator. I have a Yamaha 3000iseb but my son bought a Champion 3100 inverter and it was less than half the price of a Yamaha or Honda. He loves it and it has a remote starter
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #28

If it's true the sound levels are nearly the same I wouldn't buy a Honda generator either.... way too expensive and the carburetors, with their micro-jets, eventually need replaced anyway.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Extended run means an external fuel tank feeding the generator. Also makes it much safer to refuel because you're not pouring gas into a tank sitting on top of a hot generator.
Yes you can see i mentioned that in my post [extended run can mean lots of things ]. as far as it being safer would be up for great debate when on my motorcycle i pull in for gas and fill up right over a hot engine and exhaust as do millions of others and no issues .
it will work on a champion as it does on others . i see no need for one as i don't run the generator 24/7 like some people that run theirs all night . during the day is enough and the run time is sufficient on the champions . gets the batteries charged the coffee made and the microwave items cooked . as i mentioned before i don't run the ac as i camp where the weather is nice and cool at night . when in Florida i'm hooked up
Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Yes you can see i mentioned that in my post [extended run can mean lots of things ]. as far as it being safer would be up for great debate when on my motorcycle i pull in for gas and fill up right over a hot engine and exhaust as do millions of others and no issues .
it will work on a champion as it does on others . i see no need for one as i don't run the generator 24/7 like some people that run theirs all night . during the day is enough and the run time is sufficient on the champions . gets the batteries charged the coffee made and the microwave items cooked . as i mentioned before i don't run the ac as i camp where the weather is nice and cool at night . when in Florida i'm hooked up
Never had a problem with filling the Harley either, but it has been known to be a problem. Lots of videos on YouTube showing that. It's safer filling the MC because you have pretty precise control over the flow from the nozzle. Not so filling the generator (unless you're at a gas station).

Just a couple of weeks ago at the Bristol Nascar campground a camper about 10 spots away from me was seriously burned when the plastic gas can he was using to fill the generator exploded. I didn't see it happen but was told that as he was pulling the can away from the generator tank opening fuel spilled out and was ignited by the generator. I was told it was not running but I find that a little hard to believe. The guy was helicoptered to a burn center with serious problems. Quite a bit of damage to the TT also.

I use the extended tank to fill and never have to open the generator gas caps. Even though the extended tank is 3-4 feet away from the generators I still shut them down during refueling (which I only have to do every third or fourth day).

I have a pair of the 2K Hondas for the toy hauler but just got a 3100 Champion to use with the horse trailer. It will probably get about 80-90 hours a month of use so I guess I'll find out pretty soon how reliable it is. Noise level seems to be just about the same as the Hondas running parallel. IPI industries is supposedly coming out with an extended tank system shortly (per GenXDirect).
Old 05-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #31

I just bought this propane powered one using my amazon prime. It got down to $211 shipped and I pulled the trigger. It came with a 30 amp RV outlet, despite the pictures and description.

It works great and powers my camper well including the 15k btu A/C.

I wouldn't run it at a full hookup campsite (neighbors too close). More for boondocking or home outages. But its not too loud and its nice not having to deal with carrying/filling with Gasoline.

Amazon.com: Sportsman GEN4000LP, 3250 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Propane Powered Portable Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #32

The Honda's have a fuel pump so it pulls from my 5 gallon cans just fine for running in the infield in hotter weather. I don't know if the champion has a similar set up and supergenproducts have yet to return my E-mails. I want to recommend these champion inverter to others as lots of people seem happy with them just want to make sure when being compared to Honda's and yamahas that I have the correct info.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #33

Quote:

Yes. I ran mine all weekend last year during 100 degree weather.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Yes. I ran mine all weekend last year during 100 degree weather.
Where did you get the kit?
Old 05-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #35

Quote:
The Honda's have a fuel pump so it pulls from my 5 gallon cans just fine for running in the infield in hotter weather. I don't know if the champion has a similar set up and supergenproducts have yet to return my E-mails. I want to recommend these champion inverter to others as lots of people seem happy with them just want to make sure when being compared to Honda's and yamahas that I have the correct info.

My honda did not have a fuel pump . if it's an air tight fill it will draw the fuel in . as far as i know the honda 2000 do not have fuel pumps but are gravity but i could be wrong . been putting the new champion 2000 inverter through it's paces the last 3 days . only off at night been running all day hooked up to my TH and a friends TT to keep refer and batteries charged . the 2000 did them both and ran the furnaces at the same time . Have used just 3.5 gallons of gas for all three days . now they are gone and just using it for my unit . snowy and cold now have my electric heater plugged in running at the 900 watt level with genny off econ mode and th plugged in all good so far . i will turn the heater down to the 600 watt mode and put it back in econ once test is done as the 900 watt mode is warming it up to much
Old 05-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Never had a problem with filling the Harley either, but it has been known to be a problem. Lots of videos on YouTube showing that. It's safer filling the MC because you have pretty precise control over the flow from the nozzle. Not so filling the generator (unless you're at a gas station).

Just a couple of weeks ago at the Bristol Nascar campground a camper about 10 spots away from me was seriously burned when the plastic gas can he was using to fill the generator exploded. I didn't see it happen but was told that as he was pulling the can away from the generator tank opening fuel spilled out and was ignited by the generator. I was told it was not running but I find that a little hard to believe. The guy was helicoptered to a burn center with serious problems. Quite a bit of damage to the TT also.

I use the extended tank to fill and never have to open the generator gas caps. Even though the extended tank is 3-4 feet away from the generators I still shut them down during refueling (which I only have to do every third or fourth day).

I have a pair of the 2K Hondas for the toy hauler but just got a 3100 Champion to use with the horse trailer. It will probably get about 80-90 hours a month of use so I guess I'll find out pretty soon how reliable it is. Noise level seems to be just about the same as the Hondas running parallel. IPI industries is supposedly coming out with an extended tank system shortly (per GenXDirect).
He most likely filled them when they were running . fumes found there way to some spark . i've had fuel spill out when filling the genny and never any issues nothing hot around where the tank fill is on the champion 2000 . I've also had the blunder or two when filling the motorcycle and had it run down the gas tank and drip on hot exhaust still no issues . stuff happens when people do stupid stuff . units should be off before filling . as far as filling once a day i have no issues with that and the champion seems to be right at the once a day fill . i would never run it all night unless it was an emergency the batteries can easily handle a few nights with out charge .
Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #37

Save your money for a quiet one!
jb4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #38
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:

Pinellas has a youtube video on how to convert a Champion inverter to use a marine tank for extended run. The kit is $200 or you can just order the parts from Amazon for $55. Tank runs about $70 for a 6 gallon.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #39

Every time Ive tried to cheap out its costed me more money after I finally purchased the item I should have purchased in the first place. As mentioned above save your money and buy Honda.
2005 Nissan Frontier
2007 Mustang GT
lkj831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkj831 View Post
Every time Ive tried to cheap out its costed me more money after I finally purchased the item I should have purchased in the first place. As mentioned above save your money and buy Honda.
I bought a 4500watt from Lowes for the house and got one season before it quit on me. I can't get the part I need to get it going. A year latter bought a Honda EU3000i and it purrs like a kitten. Hasn't failed me yet. Am now looking at the Honda EU3000 I watt or the Yamaha 2400 watt for the trailer.

I should have got the Honda for the house to start with. it is a much better made generator.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator