Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #21
John513

I believe in the new units they put the furnace in the same spot under the fridge and they put the breaker box in the bathroom where the bottom cabinet wood be.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #22

Patience my kite boarding buddy! Good things come to him that waits!
And waits
And waits
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
BT good to know - can you send pics of where they put the furnace - and what furnace they are installing now they are trying to install a 30nt or a SFQ 35 both furnaces are sitting in toyhauler waiting for installation instructions or approval for a couple plus weeks now -

I'm not a good waiting person!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR
I would if I could. It's 1,360 miles away from me right now.

And when they did the walk-through, the kid may as well have been speaking Mandarin -- I had no basis of understanding. It was all new to me. None of it stuck except, "Sign here, please"
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #24

BT

Wondering if they put a slider door in bathroom like bedroom doors? My other top list thing to do as soon as heater is done
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
I would if I could. It's 1,360 miles away from me right now.

And when they did the walk-through, the kid may as well have been speaking Mandarin -- I had no basis of understanding. It was all new to me. None of it stuck except, "Sign here, please"
I'm pretty sure he was speaking Latin. Did you actually hear, "signum hic placet"; if so that was Latin. If spoken quickly it sounds much like a sneeze, which can explain alot. Thought you would like to know. Best wishes with the new camper!
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 12-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
BT

Wondering if they put a slider door in bathroom like bedroom doors? My other top list thing to do as soon as heater is done
Swinging doors.

Those magnets are expensive. I bet they're at least 99 cents each
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #27

BT

Just wait till you use it and you will understand especially the one to the garage 😄
Old 12-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #28

Calling on Bullet Bob -

I'm not feeling the love on my furnace modifications and getting frustrated- that's about all I wish to say here!! Might want to view emails sent to Tim and Diane

Thanks for any assistance

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:44 AM   #29

Heat vent garage in XLR Hyperlight

FYi all HyperLight 29hfs with serial # ending in Vin # 161050 and later --now come with the SFQ-35 furnace that's a 35BTU furnace - yes I will take credit for that...........

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #30

And for us earlier buyers....brrrrr
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #31

Change is good... and see, being vocal really does make a difference. I still cannot understand who thought 19K BTU (not really 20K) could heat these models? Or, was it really about saving a few buck? Or what? As we who didn't really think about furnaces (living in the south (that's my excuse)), kept buying them, were we sending a message that 19K was enough? I mean if they were selling... why wouldn't they keep building them this way. I get more philosophical the more coffee I drink... you would like me better before coffee... quiet!

PH, get that furnace stuffed in there. Cold weather is on the way!
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 12-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #32

We up here in the North kinda think about furnaces a lot! And with all of my research when looking for a TH it never dawned on me to research whether something as basic as HVAC was sized correctly...never mind the not-so-extreme Extreme Weather package deficiencies (i.e., no insulation for the garage which, with a bed in it, you could logically assume is a sleeping area and would be adequately heated).

The thing is, we really love our 29HFS. So we are struggling with whether it is our long-term TH and I do a lot of insulation and heating upgrades so it is usable here in Wisconsin or do we plan on moving on to something else.

I should add that we loaded it up with damn near every option including a built in generator, 15K AC, convection microwave, etc., not to mention adding a 2000 W inverter, EMS, and other goodies myself, so don't really want to abandon all of that and take the subsequent financial beating.

Ours to ponder while we bundle up!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #33

I'm in a similar boat as Dennis. Did a ton of reaearch. Have done some modifying and just love my 29hfs. I never thought about the hvac being under powered but I'm just using more blankets and electric heaters when needed. (And I'm in MN were camping in the 30's is always an option...).
Thanks to everyone for making future XLR even better...;-)
Old 12-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #34

i would think with the 35,000btu model finding new ways to duct the extra needed flow of air was tough . all the ducts are on the kitchen side . they'll have to find room the the ceiling or floor for extra ducting , or just keeping using cheap dryer venting with lots of leaks
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #35

Our problem (geez, I have lots of problems!), Steve, is we do a lot of camping in WI parks and many times we can't get electric AND gen use is prohibited so electric heaters are out of the question. We also bought this to take our grandkids but can't do that when they are freezing in the back. So basically if it's cold we either freeze or stay home. Unfortunately it's been more of the latter. Has certainly quelled the excitement we once had for what should be a great TH.

So either I'm going to insulate and figure out how to install a correctly sized furnace, which based on the size differences is no easy task, or throw in the towel on this unit and move on. So I am actively watching this thread to see what PH comes up with, with his larger furnace install.

I'm very handy so I didn't mind fixing all the little things that have come up, but this furnace undersizing is so fundamental that the word "disappointment" doesn't begin to explain my feelings on this.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #36

I'm waiting myself to find out - lol
Old 12-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #37

A 12x12 heater into a 9x9 hole might just take a large hammer, PH. WW can advise.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #38

Dennis, your 100% right. Not having campground power or limited generator hours, will prevent some of the cold weather camping.
Sorry you are already having to look for something different. Maybe PH will pull a rabbit out the hat...:thumbup:
Old 12-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #39

Heat vent garage in XLR Hyperlight

Dennis

yes the NT 30 (12x12) will fit but you got to move exhaust / intake up a couple inches and put a backing plate behind original intake / exhaust plate - all of the trim is screwed in with square drive screws - remove converter/ breaker panel 6 screws - remove center post - 4 screws -remove furnace 2 front cover screws - Dx duct work - remove 2 screws inside on bottom in front - turn propane off - Dx gas line -screw on - Dx electrical I think 3 wires - furnace will slide right out - remove bottom platform- not screwed down - remove bottom inside trim - 4 screws remove bottom outside trim 6 screws - slide NT 40 with card board cut out attached to back - slide against Intake/exhaust tubes - with a marker from outside draw circle on cardboard thru intake /exhaust tubes - remove NT30 -remove intake/exhaust plate take template you just made - trace it out on outside - cut out new exhaust wholes ( just moving wholes up 2-3 inches ) make a longer backing plate for intake/exhaust - install in reverse

Now this is what I thought would be the solution but the install place is worried about some electrical wires being too close to furnace even though those wires currently run right in front of the current furnace - and it also makes the duct work very tight against electrical panel --- so now we are trying to put the sfq 35 (7 1/2h by 17w by 20d) in which requires relocation of the whole electrical panel and totally reworking the cabinets --- as an engineer it's driving me crazy lol

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 12-17-2015, 06:52 AM   #40

PH, I'm an engineer as well and I been eyeballing all of this in mine. Sounds like the NT is the correct retrofit solution vs the SF for a new installation.

And thanks for the detailed instructions!

Tags
light, vent, xlr