Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #1

Hydraulic cylinder leak on slide out XLR 375AMP

Question, I have a thunderbolt 375amp and the refrigerator slide hydraulic cylinder is leaking. I bought it in july of 2017 took it on a long trip to montana and back to texas. Went on a couple of short trips to local areas. Then it sat at home throughout the fall of this last year. I returned from a trip to Montana without it. Looked over trailer after putting out the slides and noticed a wet spot on the ground under the trailer. Traced it back to the slide hydraulic cylinder. Long story short, I did not purchase the extended warranty either. Was going to pick one this year before taking it on another long trip. Was wondering if anyone else came across the same problem of a leaking cylinder? Does lippert warranty the cylinders for more than a year?

thanks
Thunderbolt 375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #2

You can always call Lippert and talk to a tech. Sometimes they will send you a free part, sometimes not. I have had two hydraulic cylinders replaced, but both under warranty.

If you have to foot the bill, you might want to take the cylinder down to a hydraulic shop to see if they can reseal it. Would be lots cheaper.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt 375 View Post
Question, I have a thunderbolt 375amp and the refrigerator slide hydraulic cylinder is leaking. I bought it in july of 2017 took it on a long trip to montana and back to texas. Went on a couple of short trips to local areas. Then it sat at home throughout the fall of this last year. I returned from a trip to Montana without it. Looked over trailer after putting out the slides and noticed a wet spot on the ground under the trailer. Traced it back to the slide hydraulic cylinder. Long story short, I did not purchase the extended warranty either. Was going to pick one this year before taking it on another long trip. Was wondering if anyone else came across the same problem of a leaking cylinder? Does lippert warranty the cylinders for more than a year?

thanks
I had same problem. I traced the leak back to the drain plug on top of the actuator. I cleaned up the fluid around the plug and loosened it slightly. I then retightenen the plug. Torquing it down. This will reseat the plug and clear any debris. No more leak.
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #4

Thanks, I will call Lippert today and see what they say. thanks again
Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #5

thanks Mike, I did trace it to the cylinder and it is leaking out of the ram seal. I wish it was the coupler or hose connection. Just sad that it hasn't even been used much. Not sure now if I should leave it at the house with slides out anymore. bummer
Old 02-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #6

If at all possible hydraulic cylinders should never be stored extended (with the shaft out). Even thought the shaft feels smooth it is not when seen under a microscope. those imperfections hold a micro thin coating of oil that acts as lube for the o-ring seals. When extended the environment removes this film and or replaces it with dust or minute particles of sand. The o-rings expand when hydraulic pressure is applied to complete the seal while the shaft moving. A dry dirty shaft acts like an abrasive on that first stroke causing premature wear on the seals. Another thing that can happen is that the chrome plating on the the cylinder shaft may have imperfections that allow moisture to get under the plating causing rust that lifts and chips the plating. When this happens replacing the cylinder is the only option. When the shafts have to be left extended as in a slide out if accessible you should take a rag with wd-40 or the like and wipe the shaft down to lube and clean it before the first operation.
I know someone will bring up construction equipment cylinders- they are designed to work in that dirty environment. Special seals and tripple chrome on the shaft. Seal kits for them can cost over a thousand dollars and the cylinders themselves ten thousand and more
John Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #7

Anyone have an idea on how to remove this cylinder?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #8

We have a 2014 XLR and had a seal to go bad on ours too. Just removed the cylinder and took it to a local shop for a new seal to be installed. While they had it apart they found a bad nick in the shaft which caused the seal to fail. A little sanding and buffing fixed the problem and of course a new seal.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt 375 View Post
Anyone have an idea on how to remove this cylinder?

I had to have two of mine replaced under warranty. It required dropping the colorplast underbelly to access the hydraulic lines and remove the nut securing the ram to the frame and from the slide. Take pictures and note how the nuts are placed on the ram. The ones on my slide aren’t snugged tight and there is a gap so the ram has some play when opening or closing.

One of the rams was just in front of the axles so taking the colorplast down was a bit of work. It seems like Lippert had a bad run of seals as you’re probably the 3rd person I’ve heard about with the same issue.

I also had a lot of fluid sitting on top of the colorplast and when pulling it down I had a mess to clean up.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

Thanks guys. I'm taking it to the dealership were I purchased my RV. After looking at it again. It looks like it is the same cylinder as they already replaced.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #11

Leaking Cylinder

I had the leaking cylinder on my 2016 XLR Thunderbolt 340 AMP on the couch slider. Warranty had to replace cylinder. But yes I did have a problem.

Tim Coltrain in NC
Tim Coltrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #12

John Maryland is correct in most of what he posted. The preferred lube to use to wipe down the cylinder rods is ATF. Most slide cylinders use the least expensive seals made. I’ve been in the hydraulic field for over 41 years and go thru this every day. I will upgrade to better seals on every job if available. Also, please don’t try to buff out imperfections in a chrome shaft, it can cause low spots. We can repair some of those spots by tig welding stainless in those small areas and then we polish with a crank polisher.
Msgtret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #13

I just had my couch slide Ram replaced from a leaking seal. I have a 2018 375AMP. One of my front jacks was leaking also but I am hoping it was just a loose fitting I found and tightened. Time will tell.
Riddler6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, leak, slide, slide out, xlr