Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #1

Hyperlite 29HFS

I am just ordering our 29HFS, and it is rather loaded with Extreme Weather package, generator, etc. I read in other threads that they went to 4400# axles from 5200# recently. If you do the math that is not a lot of margin. I asked my sales rep about upgrading to 5200# axles and was told "Don't worry about it, you don't need it."

I'm an engineer...that is not a good answer!

Does anyone know if the factory will do upgrades such as that? That is an option I would gladly pay for upfront.

Thanks!
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

I'm not an engineer (couldnt spell it now i are one!), the lighter axles reduce GVWR by appx 1300# down to 2700# of stuff. Is the garage still rated at 2000#, I can't see how. Plus yours has the generator and the extreme package that mine didn't. I wouldn't have a 29HFS without the 5200# axles... axles hit the frame on mine with one 750# bike and not heavy load... no water, etc. before the safety recall and the heavier axles were installed. It didn't cost me anything BTW. My gut tells me if the dealer checks; yours will come with the 5200# units... Get everything in writing... Whatever they tell you or promise you.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the response and great info!
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Sunseeker 2500TS

Call forest river I believe the new axles are 4700 the build with 4200 is over? The dealer is an idiot that couldn't calculate GVW. Mine were upgraded to 5200 because the brochure at the time had the GVW too high to work with 4200 axles. I believe that the brochure for 2015 has changed. My 2014 would have had a problem achieving 2000 in garage without the change. I believe my GVW was listed at 11500?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

How did you get axles changed. thru dealer or call warranty first. My paperwork says 4400 axles and I'm sure that not enough if I put 2k in garage
lonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

Lonb, Dealer first. They should be the ones to contact FR warranty. But, in my case, I had to get involved and push. By my estimation, the lighter axles will allow a little over 2700# of cargo equally distributed, not with 75% in the garage. For every 2 to 3 pounds in the garage (I figure 2.5) it takes 1 pound off the tongue. My issue was the axles bottomed out against the frame with maybe 2000# total of cargo, including 900# in the garage.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 01-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Wolfwhistle. My dry weight says 7240 another almost 500 in water and I still need to put clothes and toys in it. I'm going to load it in the spring weight it at a truckstop. But I'm betting I'm over 10000 I was thinking 5500 lb axles is what should be under there
lonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonb View Post
Wolfwhistle. My dry weight says 7240 another almost 500 in water and I still need to put clothes and toys in it. I'm going to load it in the spring weight it at a truckstop. But I'm betting I'm over 10000 I was thinking 5500 lb axles is what should be under there
Good morning Lonb, You should add a signature so we can see what you have. I can only assume its a 29HFS and by the weight I can assume you have the Extreme Pk and the generator. What does your sticker say is the GVWR? What is your rated cargo capacity?

Many forget that besides the trailer's axles, it is important that 10% to 15% be carried by the truck as tongue weight; that said, your 4400# axles can, in theory do the job, but I am also sure two 5200# axles would be enough; any higher is unnecessary and might not be compatible. I will explain. No matter the capacity of the axles, you can not exceed the GVWR. My sticker says 10,985#. I would think your's is less??

Lets add it up using the weights you mentioned: with garage at max (2000#), plus 500# in water, plus 500# in other stuff (clothes, food, pots and pans) you will be around 10,400#. Keep in mind you cannot exceed the GVWR. Water in the tank offsets some of the toy weight which is a good thing for maintaining a higher percentage of tongue weight and maybe half of that is on the tongue. 52 gallons of fresh weighs about 448#, BTW. I will assume you don't haul black or grey water around for any distance.

Based on that total of 10,740# the minimum of 1040# should be on the tongue, which leaves 9700# on the axles or 4850# each (exceeding their 4400# rating, but well under 5200#). If you could somehow load it so you have 1500# of tongue weight that would leave 8740# will be on the axles or 4370# each, slightly under the ratings of your axles.

We cannot know without weighing what each axle is really carrying and it would be better to know for sure how much each wheel is carrying. Not saying it is an issue without weighing, but each wheel on the trailer will be carrying a different weight.

Frankly, I would feel better with E-rated tires and wheels. But by the math, it isn't necessary.

Also, the axle, tire, wheel ratings take into account reasonable driving hazards, such as bumps, dips and dives.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #9

I get two different specs on the 2015 29hfs . the dealers site specs shoe tw at 974 dry weight at 6968 and cargo at 2700 . the forest river site show 1032 tw dry weight at 6759 and cargo at 3014 . big difference between the two . which should i believe forest river or the dealer ? i'll be towing mine with a 03 chevy 2500hd 4x4 6.0 gas for now . and leaning toward the andersen hitch
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
I get two different specs on the 2015 29hfs . the dealers site specs shoe tw at 974 dry weight at 6968 and cargo at 2700 . the forest river site show 1032 tw dry weight at 6759 and cargo at 3014 . big difference between the two . which should i believe forest river or the dealer ? i'll be towing mine with a 03 chevy 2500hd 4x4 6.0 gas for now . and leaning toward the andersen hitch
My WAG is the difference (dealer to factory) is specific options. Adding up the factory numbers shows me the GVWR should be 10,805 lbs. I would guess that nothing is going to change that; anything that is added, options or whatever, reduce the cargo weight and change the tongue weight depending on the balance. According to the dealers numbers you gave, the GVWR would be 10,642 lbs, a difference of only 163 lbs. Can't see this is much of an issue. Keep in mind the unit is actually weighed before leaving the factory and this will be the "gospel" so to speak. The 2014 brochure (early version) showed 974# TW, 6968# dry and 4017# cargo, while late 2014 showed 974#, 6968# and 2700# now that is a big difference! Enough that I complained and FR paid for the upgrade. BTW, I like my Drawtite dual-cam, now that I know how to set it up, but it was a PITA.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #11

Can't imagine what they added to give a 310 lbs difference , no gen , it does have the fuel station , the rear bed , but most seems to be pretty standard , I know i can pick up a generator for half as much as the dealer wanted , it is all wired for it with the inside controls and wiring and fuel lines to the gen compartment .guess I'll shoot them of an email . i've been needing to get some specs off of it anyways . like the thickness of the a-frame for hitch , height of the coupler , etc so i can be partly ready when i go pick it up .
Old 02-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #12

This seems to be the latest info from FR. First I've seen of the other models.

XLR Hyperlite Toy Haulers by Forest River RV

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #13

That link shows the specs for the to 30hds . i have the 29hfs xlr which i posted the specs for , it's just different from the dealer and can't see anything the dealer added to change weight . not liter tongue and less load . makes no since
Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
That link shows the specs for the to 30hds . i have the 29hfs xlr which i posted the specs for , it's just different from the dealer and can't see anything the dealer added to change weight . not liter tongue and less load . makes no since
Right you are, I posted the wrong link. Like I mentioned previously, late 2014 specs on FR brochures... which stayed same for early 2015 units showed what said your dealer now shows. The current spec from FR says just what you wrote. I would think the people building it would know the "estimated" weight; like I said the actual scale weights are what is important. There is a FR employee on this forum, that might be willing to shed some light on this.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Right you are, I posted the wrong link. Like I mentioned previously, late 2014 specs on FR brochures... which stayed same for early 2015 units showed what said your dealer now shows. The current spec from FR says just what you wrote. I would think the people building it would know the "estimated" weight; like I said the actual scale weights are what is important. There is a FR employee on this forum, that might be willing to shed some light on this.

I am just wondering . don't want a unit tat has cheaper axles , just do they save a buck and cost me down the road . the totals of both sites add up relatively the same . so my unit must have 300 more lbs then what left the factory or ??
Old 02-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:
I am just wondering . don't want a unit tat has cheaper axles , just do they save a buck and cost me down the road . the totals of both sites add up relatively the same . so my unit must have 300 more lbs then what left the factory or ??
Northstar, have you taken delivery of the unit you ordered? If so, what does the sticker show? (tongue, dry, GVWR)

Dry weight claims or estimates from Forst River (brochures or on-line) are just that. The dry weight includes tongue weight and we should not add tongue weight to get GVWR (my mistake, as well). The posted weights and capacities are for a bare-bone unit without options, whatever those options are. FR states that they can change without notice, and they do.

Dry weight plus cargo (and options) equals GVWR. A unit leaving the factory is weighed; that is actual and the "gospel" for each unit built. Those weights including options as well as GVWR, and will be printed on the yellow sticker.

It would seem that FR has lightened the unit from 6968# to 6759# somehow, possibly by leaving off something that was previouslyy standard, but now is an option.

The new non-optioned unit with its 3014# of cargo and options should have a GVWR of 9773# all things being equal. If the weight is evenly proportioned front to rear, the TWR is at a good 11.8%... and the axles (4400) are under their rating. If you expect or need to load the garage to 2000# (and if it is rated to do so... mine was) , then the ratio drops dangerously low to 6.6% and the axles are exceeded slightly. In order to achieve the minimum 10% TWR, and expect to carry 2000# in the garage, you would need a unit that will carry 4000# (above the advertised 6759#) in cargo and options and the axles would have to be over 4800# each.

So, if 3014# in options and cargo is enough and you balance that weight front to rear, you should be Okay with the 4400# axles... assuming those are what the 29HFS comes with.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #17

Wolfwhistle : well it seems to have changed once again , when i fist looked at the specs for the unit 29hfs xlr the dealer site showed the same as the manufacture , then all of a sudden it changed from the 3014 cargo to 2700 cargo . Now when i see the new 2015 units they are at 69xx . with a cargo of 4000 lbs . real big difference . i am wondering now about getting cheaper lighter axles . I'm bringing this up with the dealer . have not signed the papers yet and may want them to switch units .
there is no reason for these types of discrepancy
Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Northstar, have you taken delivery of the unit you ordered? If so, what does the sticker show? (tongue, dry, GVWR)

Dry weight claims or estimates from Forst River (brochures or on-line) are just that. The dry weight includes tongue weight and we should not add tongue weight to get GVWR (my mistake, as well). The posted weights and capacities are for a bare-bone unit without options, whatever those options are. FR states that they can change without notice, and they do.

Dry weight plus cargo (and options) equals GVWR. A unit leaving the factory is weighed; that is actual and the "gospel" for each unit built. Those weights including options as well as GVWR, and will be printed on the yellow sticker.

It would seem that FR has lightened the unit from 6968# to 6759# somehow, possibly by leaving off something that was previouslyy standard, but now is an option.

The new non-optioned unit with its 3014# of cargo and options should have a GVWR of 9773# all things being equal. If the weight is evenly proportioned front to rear, the TWR is at a good 11.8%... and the axles (4400) are under their rating. If you expect or need to load the garage to 2000# (and if it is rated to do so... mine was) , then the ratio drops dangerously low to 6.6% and the axles are exceeded slightly. In order to achieve the minimum 10% TWR, and expect to carry 2000# in the garage, you would need a unit that will carry 4000# (above the advertised 6759#) in cargo and options and the axles would have to be over 4800# each.

So, if 3014# in options and cargo is enough and you balance that weight front to rear, you should be Okay with the 4400# axles... assuming those are what the 29HFS comes with.

Well now don't you see an issue with them selling a unit where they max out the axle with a standard load ? 4400 axles = 8800. when you start at
over there exceeded rate with sticking to there figures you will be over the axles ratings from the get go . 2700 in cargo once you add 450 lbs water , 1400 to 1500 in atv motorcycles it leaves you with 800 lbs of other cargo . and now they are stating a 6900
++ dry weight with a 4000 lbs axles . I should have dome more research and now will deal with the dealer on why all the differences .
Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #19

either way if you stick to the minimum dry weight and cargo your over the axle max by 800 lbs
Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Well now don't you see an issue with them selling a unit where they max out the axle with a standard load ? 4400 axles = 8800. when you start at
over there exceeded rate with sticking to there figures you will be over the axles ratings from the get go . 2700 in cargo once you add 450 lbs water , 1400 to 1500 in atv motorcycles it leaves you with 800 lbs of other cargo . and now they are stating a 6900
++ dry weight with a 4000 lbs axles . I should have dome more research and now will deal with the dealer on why all the differences .
If the maxiumum total weight (GVWR) is not exceed, and the load is balanced, you will not exceerd the axle ratings, as I figured it. Most people don't carry 450# of water any great distance. Keep in mind a little over half of that water weight is on the tongue, not the axles. The more of the 3014 (or 2700 if that is it) that's on the tongue, meas less that's on the axles. Make sense?? If you need to carry more weight, get it optioned from FR, or buy another trailer... by the way, getting heavier axles installed by your dealer will not increase the factory GVWR... (in my experience) something to think about. Also, what many people don't realize is trailer components (axles, tires, etc.) are often maxed out and they are made to do so, on a good day. But, if it is peace of mind you are seeking, have it built stronger, or find a stronger trailer... swapping axles alone won't do it.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas