Old 04-08-2020, 05:08 AM   #1

Hyperlite 29hfs owners

Any 29hfs owners out there? I just bought a 2019 new last summer and have only used it 3 times. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems or things to watch out for. We had a 2018 jayco jay flight slx 264bh before that so it was a big step up for us. So far we love it and it seems to be pretty well built.

Smitty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #2

We have a 2018 29HFS, it's our second toy hauler after a Grey Wolf 22rr, so a big upgrade for us as well. We bought ours new in 2019 as a model year left over. It had been out on the dealership's back storage lot for a while so we expected some TLC issues but we couldn't argue with the price we got it for. We have had a few minor manufacturing issues (bent suction hose to the water pump) and the front door was out of alignment enough that you could close it from the inside. Another big issue was water damage at the bottom of the rear ramp...but all were taken care of (ramp is being fixed this week) under warranty. Though it has taken time, the dealership (Camper's Inn in Fredericksburg VA) has been easy to work with and very supportive. We use our XLR for racing motorcycles all over Virginia where we are camping in fields and pastures. Overall we're quite happy with it

TTRUDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #3

Our front door doesnít close good at all and it drives me nuts. Thatís the only thing I can complain about though. Glad you like yours. Hoping this covid19 goes away soon so we can get some use out of it.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #4

Agreed, this year's racing season is on hold..missed 4 races already but got plenty of time for bike maintenance... Make sure you note the door with the dealer as a warranty issue. Due to needing the trailer for racing, we didn't take it in for some of the warranty repairs for a couple months. The door had gotten worse by then. Upper left corner of the door was so tight it was scraping the paint and metal of the frame.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #5

What kind of racing do you do? I raced mx for 9 or 10 years growing up and we traveled all over. Good times. Mine seem to be more of a strike plate alignment issue but could be caused by it not being hung right I suppose.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #6

Hare Scrambles -over 200 racers in about 14 classes on a 9-15 mile single track loop for about an hour and a half.
Striker plate should be a fairly easy adjustment. WD-40 or some other lubricant in the latch mechanism will help as well.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #7

2019 owner here too. We had a 2007 Dutchmen Victory Lane fiver toy hauler. It was a good trailer but 12 years was long enough and we wanted to down size. We really like the happy jack beds in the garage in the 29HFS. . We used it 5 times last summer and only had a few minor issues that our dealer fixed in one visit under warranty. The garage screen was mounted backwards, one of the bedroom pocket doors fell out of the track, a spot on the awning was leaking and it shifted on the roll up beam and wouldn’t completely close, and I found some screws trying to poke through the roof. My front door is also tight, but I tapped on the striker plate to bend it back a bit and it helped. The only thing I’m displeased with is the U-shaped dinette cushions, they don’t make a bed very well, you need a second big center cushion to make it right without either a gap or the cushions hanging off the side. Overall, we love it and can’t wait to take it out again.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #8

Smitty244,
I have a 2015 29hfs and just love it. I live in MN but have hauled it out to Yellowstone and all the way out to Maine (different trips...). We mainly use it as a regular camper with friends or adult kids sleeping in the garage. A few times a year we are able to haul our touring motorcycle (Indian Roadmaster...) and the 29hfs is perfect for that.

As for any issues, nothing major in these past ~5 years. The front door did need a bit of adjustment on the striker plate. Replaced the sliding door rollers but nothing else notable. I have done many modifications - hardwired surge protector, TV mounted in the living area on a swing arm. Added shelves in the large cabinet in the living area. Command Hooks for tons of hanging items. Triangle water/splash guards for the shower. Added stabilizers for the crank downs. Sewer hose storage under the camper. And don't forget all the extras that needs to be purchased - water filter, pressure regulator, hoses (fresh & black water), sewer drain hoses & connectors, oh the list goes on...

One word of advice, maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Preventative maintenance will keep the "issues" down greatly. I repack the bearings every year (did find a nut on the suspension that had come loose...). Just replaced the brakes last year (but could have waited till this year...). I wash and wax the camper many times from late April to early October. Besides making the camper clean, it gives me time to be up and close to it and can find any caulking or other issues. Same goes for the inside of the camper, all the cleaning has found loose modeling before anything fell off (for example...). Checking water connections to ensure nothing is leaking (in the spring when sanitizing the water lines and in the fall when installing the anti-freeze...).

Sorry rambling now... I think every camper can have issues but I don't think the 29hfs model has any more or less issues than any other line.

Happy camping...

Tags
lite