Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTD View Post
I'm camping. Sitting by the fire with a Bourbon in my hand. Life is good.
LOL yeah... we should all turn off the electronics now and then...

I mean this was my first I phone...

Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #22

I've tried to wean myself of of tv but DW and camping buddies bed out around 10, leaving me with 3-4 hours of quit time. I hate drinking alone.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
I've tried to wean myself of of tv but DW and camping buddies bed out around 10, leaving me with 3-4 hours of quit time. I hate drinking alone.

Well then you just need to practice by drinking more when nobody is around [emoji23]

You will learn to like it more and more!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ZCM View Post
According to Verizon website... if you go to their Unlimited plan, they block the phone from doing Hotspot, BUT if they do allow it, they will cut off your data at 15 gigs, not slow it down but STOP it!
This will also happen if you have the MiFi/Hotspot device, once you hit 15 gigs they stop all data to the device instead of so-called slowing it down!
This isn't exactly how it works. I have 4 verizon phones. In a week my wife kids and I went through 130GB of data streaming and using the internet. They will slow you down at 15GB but they won't stop you using it for a hotspot. Since we all have the unlimited plan I just switch phones. I also use a cell phone booster so I always have several bars of signal.
fclark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
I can switch to the ultimate unlimited plan, so data use shouldn't be a problem.
Oops. I didn't see the other posts on this.

Read the fine print. I have the unlimited plan, but after 15 gigs, they will throttle you back to 600 kb or less. You'll feel like you are on a dial up account. BTW, that's 15 gigs per device. Since I have 2 Iphones and a hot spot, I can get 45 gigs total before I'm crawling.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #26

glad I only stream music with my beverage
Old 10-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fclark00 View Post
This isn't exactly how it works. I have 4 verizon phones. In a week my wife kids and I went through 130GB of data streaming and using the internet. They will slow you down at 15GB but they won't stop you using it for a hotspot. Since we all have the unlimited plan I just switch phones. I also use a cell phone booster so I always have several bars of signal.
So I wonder.... if you say use your phone and run up to the so called 22 gigs... now they MAY slow it down if you are on a busy tower, but then you switch to Hotspot mode.... Do you get the 15 gigs or do they say you have exceeded it since you used 22 gigs?

This would be a OH crap moment for me, if my wife could not play her games and such!!!!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #28

Quote:
So I wonder.... if you say use your phone and run up to the so called 22 gigs... now they MAY slow it down if you are on a busy tower, but then you switch to Hotspot mode.... Do you get the 15 gigs or do they say you have exceeded it since you used 22 gigs?

This would be a OH crap moment for me, if my wife could not play her games and such!!!!
Data is data. Your bill will show total data used and it includes regular data used by the phone and hotspot data used by other devices. Verizon starts throttling at 10/15 gig of hotspot use. My AT&T plan is 25 gig of data. After that I have to pay for more. Fortunately I have month to month rollover data so there’s usually 30-40 gig available. Throttling only occurs on my Mobley unlimited data device which is on a separate account.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Data is data. Your bill will show total data used and it includes regular data used by the phone and hotspot data used by other devices. Verizon starts throttling at 10/15 gig of hotspot use. My AT&T plan is 25 gig of data. After that I have to pay for more. Fortunately I have month to month rollover data so there’s usually 30-40 gig available. Throttling only occurs on my Mobley unlimited data device which is on a separate account.
Yep Data ts Data... We are talking about Verizon Unlimited Plans not ATT.
Now are you talking about the Hotspot App on your phone or are you saying a Hotspot Device? (i.e. Jetpack, USB Device, Mifi)
Others have stated you should not get throttling till you hit 15 gig, why would they start throttling at 10 gig?

Still asking if you hit the so called 22 gig on the phone and then you turn on the Hotspot App, can you still get your 15 gig with out being throttled down to 600kbs?
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #30

I was planning using the hot spot on my phone. A separate hot spot from Verison is $20 a month for two years. Not sure on data usage on that. I'm starting to think that come late night I'm just going to have to curl up with a good book and an adult beverage.
Thanks to everyone.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #31

I have Verizon and a WiFi jet pack. We run the jet pack to 15 gigs, they slow it down but do not stop it. The phones are the same. If we run out of H Speed on the Jet pack, we switch to the phone hot spot and can still stream.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Yep Data ts Data... We are talking about Verizon Unlimited Plans not ATT.
Now are you talking about the Hotspot App on your phone or are you saying a Hotspot Device? (i.e. Jetpack, USB Device, Mifi)
Others have stated you should not get throttling till you hit 15 gig, why would they start throttling at 10 gig?

Still asking if you hit the so called 22 gig on the phone and then you turn on the Hotspot App, can you still get your 15 gig with out being throttled down to 600kbs?
I called my neighbor who has Verizon and uses a lot of data. He said the PHONE hotspot used to shut off completely at 10 gig. On his unlimited (yeah, right) plan it goes to 15 gig then “may” throttle back to less than one meg speed, depending on cell congestion. The regular data being used by the phone goes to 22 gig (including the hopspot data used) before being throttled, again depending on tower congestion.

I rarely use my hotspot feature because the Mobley device (comparable to Verizon Jetpack) is on a plan completely separate from the phones. Same as Verizon it has unlimited data subject to throttling but even using over 50 gig in a month I’ve never noticed throttling.

I will use the phone hotspot for Direct TV Now service because it allows true unlimited use with no charge against the phone data package. The Apple TV set has the Direct TV app so I switch the Apple system off Mobley to the phone hotspot and never get a data charge.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #33

I have Verizon unlimited and a MiFi hotspot device. Works great. I don't do a lot of streaming since I have a 3 TB WD WiFi Wireless hard drive that I put all my movies on. The wireless drive acts as a router which all the devices can connect to. Works great.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #34

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/res...data-carriers/

Forgot to mention this earlier but lotsa good info here:
Old 10-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #35

Heads up, y’all. AT&T is making some changes to their unlimited data plans. It’s very confusing but the bottom line is after October 28 they will no longer offer unlimited hotspot data add-ons to their Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice plans. However, anyone having this service active on or before October 28 will be grandfathered.

Mobley devices on the $20 a month unlimited plan are not affected. That plan has had on again off again availability for the past month or so but based on everything AT&T has done in the past that plan will also be grandfathered if it changes or becomes permanently unavailable.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKirkham View Post
I've done it and it works great. One thing you can do to help with bandwidth is to go into Netflix settings and set it to low resolution. The picture still looks OK and it uses less data (0.3 GB/hr). HD is 3 GB/hr and UHD is 7.
x2

Also looking into Weboost... really helps is there is any signal at all.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:55 AM   #37

We used the hot spot on my Verizon phone to send a wifi signal to our Apple TV to watch shows, news and Netflix with no issues.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #38

We only stream data when satellite signals are blocked. VZ slows us down after 15 gigs on each device. We use the MIFI hotspot first and if needed, switch to the phones.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote