Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #1

Installing a generator

Was wondering if anyone has went back and got a generator installed in there XLR after buying it. Mine is generator ready or prep for it. What is the cost and is it wort it?
FunTimes27XLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #2

I bought a Champion 3500/4000 watt portable generator and strap, and lock it on the tongue. Runs everything, and was a lot cheaper! Plus I can use it at home in the winter.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #3

Any pics of how you hook it to the tongue?
BriBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBoy01 View Post
Any pics of how you hook it to the tongue?
Not at the moment, the generator is on my back porch for another week or two, until I bring the camper to the house to get it ready for the season. My XLR 27 HFS has a rack behind the propane tanks for a generator. I left the wheels and handle on the generator so it could be poratable, which made it a little wide for the rack, so I got a peice of angle iron form work, and cut it to the corect length to lay accrross the frame behind the propane tanks, for the one wheel to sit on. Then I painted it black, and screwed it to the frame. Now I just set the generator on, with the one wheel and front foot in the basket, and the second wheel on the angle iron guide, and then strap it down with ratchet straps, and lock it to the frame with a cable lock.

This is the generator I bought, it has the 30 amp RV receptical, and it also has electric start, with a remote start feature. Seems to work nicely the few times we tried it out last year. It was shipped free, and I recieved it in two days, delivered to my door by UPS.

Champion Power Equipment 3,500/ 4,000-Watt Gasoline Powered RV Ready Remote Start Portable Generator Not CARB (46565)-46565 at The Home Depot

We are on a seasonal site, with electricity, but with the storms last year, we had several power failures, and I wanted to have something as a back up. Plus we plan to use the trailer this year to do some traveling, so it will be a nice addition. Once I get the generator put back on the trailer, I will post a pic for you to see.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #5

I did have to replace the propane tank cover with a soft cover, which I like better anyway, but the hard cover would not go over the tanks properly with the wheel from the generator where it is. And keep in mind, there are a couple of different generator racks for the front of the XLR 27 HFS, mine is the flat one, that sits level with the top of the frame.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #6

for the money spent on a new camper, i suggest getting as quiet a generator as you can. Yes, you can save money on the cheaper ones.. but you get cheap, or you get quiet. You don't get both Considering it's something you use many many hours a day, it might be worth it to just pony up the $$ on a nice one from the start if you can swing it. The honda eu6500 i have is amazing that i use for my dirt bike/roadracing trailer with AC. At $3600 it ain't cheap, but it will run your house if the power is out.

i am likely getting the xlr27 HL. I AM curious how those that have the onboard Onan4000 like it right under the bedroom ? Is it a low rpm generator and not bother you, or does it drive you nuts ? I live in FL and would need to run it a lot at night as most months are unbearable without AC.
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

I am about to order my XLR from LazyDays near Tampa. I already have a Honda EU300is but don't know if it will fit on the generator tongue location. It is quieter than the Onan by far from the specs I see on the Onan generator. Is the Onan noisy inside. Why did they put it directly under the head of the bed? Trying to decide if I am getting that option by end of week.
bertburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertburch View Post
I am about to order my XLR from LazyDays near Tampa. I already have a Honda EU300is but don't know if it will fit on the generator tongue location. It is quieter than the Onan by far from the specs I see on the Onan generator. Is the Onan noisy inside. Why did they put it directly under the head of the bed? Trying to decide if I am getting that option by end of week.
the eu3000 will run the ac, but not the micro wave and ac so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind having to add fuel to a stand alone gen vs. an onboard onan that will suck from a 30gal tank. I would consider the 15k ac option for florida. I have talked to a few people that have said in the dead of summer, a 13.5k ac will not keep it cool on many rv's, not just an xlr27. Then again, i have a friend with a 27xlr hfs with the 13.5k ac and he hasn't had issues, but they don't camp much in the dead of summer. (mine has the 15k but i JUST got my xlr hfs 27)

if you decide to not order the onan gen, i suggest to have the generator prep done. You get the gas tank, and all the wiring will be done for it and switches. This way if you decide to add the gen later, it will be possible. I suspect it would be very costly to add all the stuff for an onboard onan gen after the fact, if it's even possible.

you do hear some noise inside for sure when the onan is running, but i may just sleep on the full size queen in the cargo area away from the generator. If you want a 2nd bunk for the rear electric beds, i have one i am taking out (i have 2 but dont' need both).
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #9

I did not know about the fuel tank. I will order the XLR with the generator for sure now. I am an amateur astronomer and will be building a lab in the back for controlling telescopes. I was not in a big need of a bed back but appreciate the offer. I wont have the electric slides to mount the bed.

The only other thing I have struggled with as the extreme weather package. It is dang hot here in Florida and not sure if the extra weight of the package is worth it. I have a new RAM 1500 but only the 4.7L engine.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #10

you don't have to get the generator to get "generator prep".. but the gen prep will have the 30gal tank , and all lines and wires and switches ready to just pop a generator in the box on the left side.

my xlr27 came with the ex package. i can't imagine some extra insulation will add that much extra weight. And again, i have not camped in it but from what i understand from Randy, the xlr Southeast rep, he will not even allow xlr27's to be sent down here without 15k ac units. So i would ask about that for SURE, but seriously consider the ex pkg if you plan to do lots of summer camping. I have talked to more friends of mine that can't get the temp as low as they want in teh summer, and open a door.. especially the cargo door.. and it's all over. I am thinking "quiet" too, hoping the extra insulation and double pane windows will keep it a tad quieter inside. For sure the generator makes some noise in the front bedroom. i hope to add a bunch of foam padding in the storage area around the generator box (not around the generator , but just in the storage area inside).

And FYI. I talked a lot with Toby W and Steve Thannert at Lazy days. Great guys. I am actually bringing my unit in on April 21st to have some more modifications added
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

My sales rep is Kieu, she is not very knowledgeable about RV's but I can do my own research. Here are the options I asked her to price for me. I am guessing around $29K will be the price. The specs say the EX package weighs 800lb. The only reason I am leaning to not get it since my truck is only a 4.7L and coil-overs in the rear.

Cargo Entry Door
Generator Prep
Onan 4000 Generator
Retractable Hid-N-Screen
Kick Start
w/15k BTU Ducted A/C not 13.5k
Power Tongue Jack
Aluminum Wheels
Black Tank Flush