Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #1

insulation of front end

Added R-4.9 (claim is 3 more for air space) to front end of trailer. My initial test when sun hitting front indicates it works.... 93 degrees on outside; 69 inside. Substantial reduction in heating of space. Then I added wainscoting and a padded headboard with fabric matching redone valances. I also added, although kind of ghetto, insulation to inside cabinets. I went on to add it to upper cabinet as well.
WW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170221_122628.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	131285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170221_122645.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	131286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170225_170259.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	131287  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #2

WW,
I can't let my wife see the head board work... ;-)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #3

Looks good
y0manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #4

thanks Steve and y0

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #5

Looks great, great information on temperature difference between before and after. [emoji2]
Old 03-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #6

Great job! I was curious about adding insulation to the front while I have mine torn apart. I'm now convinced. Love the headboard.
lytlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #7

You should start a biz re doing interiors. You definitely have good vision and your projects turn out darn nice.
340xlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340xlr View Post
You should start a biz re doing interiors. You definitely have good vision and your projects turn out darn nice.
Thanks 340, and others... that was so darn much work. Just think of the work to sand down and paint 27 door both sides 4 times; throw in repainting 58 hinges and 33 pulls. Its like working in a tiny bathroom but with the cabinets of a normal kitchen.

Forget about adding custom pullout pantry, Weboost cell booster antennas and wiring, make a light fixture, making flip up shelves, or I won't mention adding R-11 foam-board from front to back underneath. Oh, and I insulated the floor on the slide.

If I charged $10 and hour no one could afford to hire me... thinking about that, I WILL work for food and beer! You would be better off paying me.

lytelj asked if insulating head wall was effective. It hasn't been hot enough for a good test, but a few days ago it was 93 on the skin in full sun and a temperature shot on the headboard wainscot revealed 69 degrees. Air temp was rising and it got around 80 that day, but never more than 75 with the doors closed. I soon opened the windows and ran the Maxxair vents and it was very pleasant. I think 3/4" of fiberglass batting that it came with is rated around R-2 (maybe)... I added R - 4.9 plus with an air space on the shinny side, that adds another 3 (maybe). So, I tripled the rating of that one wall to an R-8, but I don't know much about how realistic R values are. Seat of the pants, it will be worth it. The wainscot and headboard was the motivation and the insulation just seemed like a good idea at the time.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Thanks 340, and others... that was so darn much work. Just think of the work to sand down and paint 27 door both sides 4 times; throw in repainting 58 hinges and 33 pulls. Its like working in a tiny bathroom but with the cabinets of a normal kitchen.

Forget about adding custom pullout pantry, Weboost cell booster antennas and wiring, make a light fixture, making flip up shelves, or I won't mention adding R-11 foam-board from front to back underneath. Oh, and I insulated the floor on the slide.

If I charged $10 and hour no one could afford to hire me... thinking about that, I WILL work for food and beer! You would be better off paying me.

lytelj asked if insulating head wall was effective. It hasn't been hot enough for a good test, but a few days ago it was 93 on the skin in full sun and a temperature shot on the headboard wainscot revealed 69 degrees. Air temp was rising and it got around 80 that day, but never more than 75 with the doors closed. I soon opened the windows and ran the Maxxair vents and it was very pleasant. I think 3/4" of fiberglass batting that it came with is rated around R-2 (maybe)... I added R - 4.9 plus with an air space on the shinny side, that adds another 3 (maybe). So, I tripled the rating of that one wall to an R-8, but I don't know much about how realistic R values are. Seat of the pants, it will be worth it. The wainscot and headboard was the motivation and the insulation just seemed like a good idea at the time.
WW
Clint,

Outstanding work as always! Not just your craftsmanship but your creativity. Now, one question...do you ever get to take it out and camp?
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #10

Dennis... I should already be in SC but taking care of Mom reared it's head. As soon as I can get assisted living for her I'm out'a here for most of what's left if the year. Still need that trip to CA, OR, WA etc.

Working on Modesty is still cheaper than a Shrink ... maybe???
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas