Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #1

Joined the club

So after a few months of searching for the perfect trailer (for me) and a couple more waiting for it to be built i have finally joined the XLR family...or an XLR has joined mine. I ended up with a 2012 factory order 23FBV from Jeff Couch's in Hamilton Ohio. The hardest part was that i'm located in Alberta Canada and he is near Cincinnati Ohio about 3200kms away.
I took 2 days to drive down ad met the the dealer on Monday morning last week. I didnt leave myself nearly enough time to fully go through the trailer before leaving with it but the setup guys over there did a pretty good job with what time i gave them. They also did a great job of having all of the necessary paperwork for my border crossing there for me.
We tested all of the lights the fridge, AC and the furnace only to find that the furnace vent knock-out wasn't removed so that had to be removed and fixed on site. I had to stop in Saint Louis on my way back to pick up a bike so i hauled it there that evening. I spent the night in the bike dealers parking lot and found myself wishing i brought my Gen to run the AC as it was stink hot and muggy. Instead i spent my first night in the trailer trouble shooting the wiring under the trailer...the battery cable was connected on an unbridged breaker so there wasnt any power in the trailer unless i hooked my truck up =(

After 2 1/2 days driving to get home i did an extensive check on all of the trailers systems and only found a few deficiencies that i ended up fixing myself.

- water heater cold inlet fitting wasn't crimped and was leaking.
-water heater 110/AC cord wasn't plugged in
-video RCA cable from DVD player was loose and not working.
-window valences were coming loose and required longer screws

all in all im very pleased with the build quality and fit and finish of the unit. XLR changed the spec on the Half-time oven and i ended up with a microwave instead. They also took out the switch for inside/outside speakers so i have to fade the stereo to switch between the two. They did however build the bed lift with the rigging for a second bed of couch so to add one later will be an easy job.

I towed the trailer with a 2007 Chev 1500 with a 5.3 and 3.73 4spd. I purchased an E2 1000/10,000 hitch that was easy to setup and did a marvelous job keeping the sway in check ( had some crazy winds ). The trailer stated it weighs 5800lbs and i added an 850lb bike and another 2-300lbs of gear for the journey. I averaged 10mpg over the 3900km trip home and left it in 3rd gear the whole way (5.3's love to rev).

Hope this wasnt too hard to read but i had a couple requests on this forum for a log of how things went.

popik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #2

Congrats on the new camper!!

Enjoy!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #3

Congratulations on your new trailer! The XLR 23FBV was the first model that we saw last year at a BMW motorcycle rally that interested in the XLRs. The trailer looks great in the pictures.

It sounds like you did a great job checking over the unit and correcting problems before they become big issues.

We hope to pick up our XLR 29MBV in early June from RVW. We plan to be in it at the BMW MOA international rally in PA this July.

Safe journerys and enjoy!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #4

Hi Popik. I also just purchased a 23fbv, bought in Alberta. It is a 2009, but still new and under warranty from a dealership. I am curious why you made the decision to go 3200 km to get yours? Was is that much cheaper than getting locally?

We are looking forward to getting to use ours. I still have to try everything out. We did have a run through at the pick up but it was quick and until you use it all it gets forgotten. As we were just about to drive away we realized there was no ladder so they went and grabbed it, but when I arrived home and tried it I determined it was the wrong one. Unfortunate when we are 200 km away from the dealer!

I also pulled it home during severe winds, with no weight distribution/stabilizing bars and had no troubles.
bvoogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #5

I could guess between two dealerships you probably bought your trailer from. My main reason was price...but the underlying was wanting a NEW trailer and not wanting a local dealership hanging their so called service and warranty banter on me anymore. A few years back i purchased a 2month old pop up from a family that had made a mistake buying it...i helped them out and the dealer left me cold when i had issues. All in i got a brand new unit (actually came off the assembly line on my B-day) that hasn't had parts robbed or the plumbing hacked and still a few thousand dollars cheaper than what the local dealers wanted for a unit that had been sitting around for 4 years.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as i am mine. We took it out this weekend for a shakedown trip to Muriel lake near Bonnyville and had a blast. Hauled out a KX-450 and blasted all the trails out there all weekend. Next week we load 3 sportbikes and are heading down south to SLC Utah for the WSBK races and a track day to follow.

Best trailer i've owned so far...not to everyone's tastes but suits my imagination perfectly.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #6

Congrats on the trailer. Very happy with our XLR.
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #7

So has anyone had problems with leaks from their windows...the window above the kitchen sink in my trailer has a weep that puddles on the counter top. I havent looked deep enought to find the source but i also found my battery floating the box right below as well. I guess i have a little more messing around before its `gone through` fully.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #8

Have you figured out that leak? I have had the same on occasion. I think I narrowed it down to the window itself and the rubber seal being pinched inwards, however ours is pre-frameless window model. I manipulated it and it seems to have worked. Above that window was a joint in the rain gutter that also contributed to more water coming down the wall there. A little silicone stopped that.
I also had water build up in the battery tray. Bent the cover to seal better and simply check it regularly, especially after travelling in the rain as that seems to be the time it gets in.
bvoogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #9

ya it ended up being the hole for the window needed to be enlarged by a sloppy saw operator...ended up moving it up in the hole a bit and added some silicone to fill a bit of a gap that was still there. No leaks since but not overly impressed. I'll have to try your trick with the battery box, havent had an issue since i fixed the window but have the same issue with the raingutter to deal with

07 Chev 1500 LTZ 5.3
Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #10

HI. I hope you enjoy your new unit. I just joined here yesterday for info because I'm looking at a XLR 27HFS.

Your experience upon pickup and problems located with the unit make me more than hesitant to make a purchase from a deal along ways away. There is a local dealer but they are always full list on most everything & their service is questionable at time as are their service personnel....unless it's changed in the past several years.

For a hitch, was considering the Blue OX as they seem to have a good reputation although a bit spendy.

Never had a travel trailer nor a toy hauler so any info gleened from this forum or offered will be appreciated.

Best
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #11

Dakota,
I got a very good deal close to home. You must do the time looking. I had a good idea of what we needed. I found the dealer at an RV show and he had the unit at his lot (not at the show). Mine is a little longer, but we love the TH for sure. Keep the faith.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote