Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #1

Just added a cool new XLR exclusive option to my build!

I was poking on the XLR site and looking at standards and options as I wait for the 8-10 weeks that will NEVER pass to go by. At the bottom of options were two new options. One I knew about from my dealer, the residential fridge. The second was Tuson Sway Control. I quickly did a Google search and came up with this article. Forest River XLR toy hauler to offer Tuson sway control | RV Daily Report | Breaking RV Industry News and Campground Information I also saw it mentioned on XLR's Facebook page. So I went to Direct Link's website and found a great amount of detail on the product and a video. Sway Control - DirecLink.com Well, one email to my dealer and it was added to my build for small money. Should help out us SRW guys with big haulers and I bet it will be all over the RV market in a few years. Just thought I'd pass it along as it can easily be added to any towable RV aftermarket.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Sunseeker 2500TS

Wow I wonder if that can be added to an existing 29?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocrider50 View Post
Wow I wonder if that can be added to an existing 29?
You bet. It's sold at a few online retailers and is a very simple install. Just splice into to the existing electric brake wires on your RV. Here's a place that sells them online: http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...c-sway-control

Nothing else to setup. Pretty much plug and play. Well... splice and play...
Old 12-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Sunseeker 2500TS

Anyone tried one?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Site Team

This is the same technology used in RC model aircraft ( helis & multi rotors) I would anticipate multiple sources in the near future and lower pricing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocrider50 View Post
Anyone tried one?

Give me 8-10 weeks and I'll report back... It's cheaper when ordered from the factory too...
Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

I could see that useful on a TT, but on a 5er I have never experienced much in the the way of sway even with side winds gusting. I have a Sanibel 3600 with a SRW.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrostek View Post
I could see that useful on a TT, but on a 5er I have never experienced much in the the way of sway even with side winds gusting. I have a Sanibel 3600 with a SRW.
X2!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
You're towing a standard 5er. Put 2500# in the garage of a toyhauler, lighten your pin by 6-800 by doing so, and you'll sing a completely different tune... 5ers and 5er toyhaulers are completely different animals...

I never got any sway when towing empty so I can understand your thought process but when I added that much weight behind the rear wheels to my last hauler it felt like a different trailer. Perhaps my new 395 will be different but as the old saying goes, Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...
Old 12-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #10

Have it on my F150. Factory option. Only activated one time in 4 years. We were coming out of a mountain pass and a strong cross wind hit. The light in the dash came on and trailer/pickup brakes automatically applied. It was a good thing. It was over with before I knew it. Pretty impressive.
Before this I had only read about it. Definitely will have it on future vehicles if it's not standard.
After watching the video, there system looks to be better. It controls the trailer brakes independently.
Steve38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #11

I have never towed a TH, but I have looked at many and they are so pin heavy to start with I figured pulling 800# off of them would make them pretty close to the same pin as a conventional. But hey, if they are a little more sway prone and this helps that is great. Just surprised to hear it was something you wanted on a 5th wheel.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #12

Quote:
I have never towed a TH, but I have looked at many and they are so pin heavy to start with I figured pulling 800# off of them would make them pretty close to the same pin as a conventional. But hey, if they are a little more sway prone and this helps that is great. Just surprised to hear it was something you wanted on a 5th wheel.
This is true with some haulers but not all of them. I chose my new 395 in part because it was much lighter than the competition in the pin department. For the same floorplan, it's about 1k lighter to start with on the pin than most of it's competitors. This helps with my little SRW truck. My last hauler, a RW 30C, was a double axle and it was a very noticeable difference when the garage was empty vs. full. Empty, I could run with the 18 wheelers at 75-80 with ZERO sway in any situation. With about 1k back there you got a slight amount of sway in heavy winds or when passing/being passed but nothing to worry about. With 2k in the garage you had to back down to 65 at the absolute max and cross winds or passing big rigs were very noticeable. Bottom line, the more you load the garage, the more sway you encounter with these big haulers. I was surprised to but when i first experienced it, I started researching and found I wasn't alone. It's just the nature of the beast albeit more with some rigs than others...
Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #13

To the OP...how much did they charge to add it?
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTD View Post
To the OP...how much did they charge to add it?
$445.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve38 View Post
Have it on my F150. Factory option. Only activated one time in 4 years. We were coming out of a mountain pass and a strong cross wind hit. The light in the dash came on and trailer/pickup brakes automatically applied. It was a good thing. It was over with before I knew it. Pretty impressive.
Before this I had only read about it. Definitely will have it on future vehicles if it's not standard.
After watching the video, there system looks to be better. It controls the trailer brakes independently.
STEVE, I have the same truck with built in sway control. Are you sure it controls the trailer axles also? I dont think it can. It would need individual control over the right and left brakes and the last time i wired a hitch there is only on live wire for brake voltage. Am i wrong on this because i am ordering a trailer and want to order the tuscon unless my truck already handles it.
Red900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My sway control with integrated controller did put the trailer brakes on the 2703ss I used to have. It just brakes the trailer applying more to the trailer to keep it straight.

From Ford:

Standard Trailer Sway Control
Single-rear-wheel (SRW) models – Trailer Sway Control works with
AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control) using a yaw motion
sensor to monitor the motions of the truck to detect trailer sway. When sway is detected, the system works to apply selected brakes and/or
reduce engine power to help the driver regain control(8)

Back in the 70's Holiday Rambler had sway control system as well. This works the brakes the same way based upon trailer movement. My Uncle had it on his Trailer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
$445.
Your probably going to need this with SWR.
Leroy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy2u View Post
Your probably going to need this with SWR.

I'm sure it can't hurt. Although, my last rig was only a couple feet shorter and was only a dual axle and pulled straight as an arrow. Only got a little bit of sway when garage was at 2k capacity which unloaded the pin by 600# or so. This one should just sit there no matter what with the extra axle and now sway control!

Tags
xlr