Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

keeps poppin' fuses....

First ever trip in our 27 hfs..... go to put out the electric awning...... pop.... goes the fuse. Install another fuse...... pop.... goes the fuse. By this time, i figured i had too much stuff on. I shut off everything and try to extend awning...... pop.... goes the fuse. Am i doing something wrong? Does it manually extend? So far, this has been the only hiccup. Everything else has been a small learning curve but is working as intended.
Martins5547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins5547 View Post
First ever trip in our 27 hfs..... go to put out the electric awning...... pop.... goes the fuse. Install another fuse...... pop.... goes the fuse. By this time, i figured i had too much stuff on. I shut off everything and try to extend awning...... pop.... goes the fuse. Am i doing something wrong? Does it manually extend? So far, this has been the only hiccup. Everything else has been a small learning curve but is working as intended.
Dometic has a recall on its power awnings made this year, You might be on the list! Recall is for defective motors.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins5547 View Post
Call your selling dealer and give them the serial number on your electric awning they can determine if its on the list of recalled awnings.
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
10x

Probably bad motor, they replaced mine on my new unit 2 weeks ago. There is recall on them.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #5

I will be contacting my dealer on tuesday morn. I will follow up with how everything turns out. Thank you for your responses.
Martins5547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #6

I suspect there might be a dead short to ground between the switch and the awning motor. The power wire may have been routed to allow it to rub against something that has penetrated the wire insulation. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I suspect there might be a dead short to ground between the switch and the awning motor. The power wire may have been routed to allow it to rub against something that has penetrated the wire insulation. Just a thought.
Wire would have to touch metal to ground. There is not a lot of metal that leads to ground except in motor. Motor can short to ground.