Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2022, 06:18 PM   #1

Landing Jacks

I have a 2020 XLR Boost 37TSX13 that the landing gear gear housing broke. I had it replaced and it still sounds like it’s struggling. I am having a 2nd gear housing put it in hopes of helping with this issue. 1st off, not feeling good about our near brand new camper breaking the landing gear where I couldn’t get it off my truck… 2nd. Is there a way to replace the 2 front landing gears with hydraulic jacks that won’t cost a fortune? We had a quote for auto level to be added from Camping World and I Believe it was $7k which wasn’t an option for us. Just trying to get some ideas so I don’t have to stress out every time I want to take it out.
Gpf0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:51 PM   #2

paint red stripe 3 inches before topping out leg on retraction .green at extension when putting on truck. you wont strip out gears or shear shaft bolts. usually bends bolts first then shear them .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #3

As noted, the red tape on the legs to prevent over-retracting the landing gear is paramount to it's longevity.

Also, do you ensure your jacks hit the ground at approximately the same time? If you are severely off-level side to side then one jack takes a majority of the weight. I use blocks to get them pretty close to hitting the ground simultaneously.

The gear box and transmission bar operate in unison so its best to balance the weight across both legs.

Finally, I can attest to the cost of the auto levelers. I installed Ground Control 3.0 six point auto level on our rig. The parts were around $3300 and it took me about 25 hours to install. (note, first time install and had to move the spare tire holder from behind the rear axle)
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
As noted, the red tape on the legs to prevent over-retracting the landing gear is paramount to it's longevity.

Also, do you ensure your jacks hit the ground at approximately the same time? If you are severely off-level side to side then one jack takes a majority of the weight. I use blocks to get them pretty close to hitting the ground simultaneously.

The gear box and transmission bar operate in unison so its best to balance the weight across both legs.

Finally, I can attest to the cost of the auto levelers. I installed Ground Control 3.0 six point auto level on our rig. The parts were around $3300 and it took me about 25 hours to install. (note, first time install and had to move the spare tire holder from behind the rear axle)
I haven’t been in a situation where are any of my sites have been unlevel for the most part. I don’t think the legs have had much unevenness to them. I added the Andersen Jack Blocks as a way to shorten how much I had to lower the jacks and how much I had to raise them. Could that be any part of the issue?
Gpf0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks