Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Led Light Covers Falling on top of Slides

While towing, we have had three round plastic LED light covers fall off, a couple times they have been the lights over top slides when they are retracted. You dont know they fell off until you extend the slides and now the light cover is outside sitting on top of the slide or wedged in the weather seal around the slide.

Has anyone ever glued, siliconed, or somehow attached these disc to their LED lights to keep them from falling off enroute to campgrounds??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469549012270.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	115330  
jb4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

I only have one of these on my one slide and it has never came off. if I was looking for something to keep them on; it would need to be such that you can take it off if needed not something as permanent as silicon. What about a gasket if some kind? ... made out if thick paper? DIY
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

I have one light that does this. Some double sides tape has worked for me. Just a small piece is all that is needed.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

I hadn't thought of double sided taped due to the twist lock but that might just Work! Thanks
Old 07-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #5

I have several all throughout my trailer that do this. If you notice the plastic cover is a little loose so gently bend the small metal tabs on the light up. I think there are 4 of them. If you bend them too far the cover will not fit back on. It takes a while to adjust properly but then they will stay put.
STLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #6

So, these are plastic...mine are screw on and made of glass. There are so many differences in our units that it is hard to keep up
ww

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

Do yours have the glow in the dark on/off button in the middle of them?

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #8

Ours did this also when we first got it( in fact they ordered replacements because they couldn't be found. I found that most of them were not turned all the way until they clicked but did have to bend some of the metal taps to tighten them up.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #9

No on off switch, they are 9 feet above the floor in living room area.

I will try bending tabs as it has happened to me three times on one light now
Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #10

ive had the same problems, but it seems like they just werent put on correctly at the factory or something...

ive hardly ever had the same cover fall off more than once, and after putting it back on the second time it stayed put. basically after the first few moves, i had to put almost every one of them back on, and after that they have all been good. gotta pay attention to the tabs on the base and the slots on the lense as it seems that they only fit real good in one spot (i believe their are 3 tabs/slots). with mine, it seemed like they would go on fairly snug, but if i pulled it off and rotated it to another tab it would fit even better

short of gluing them down or something, if your having issues, i would try bending the little metal tabs on the light base that hold the lense on, upwards to tighten it up.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #11

Same problem. You can try and adjust the little metal tab on light or a little dab of silicone will do the trick right where it would seat on the lens.
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #12

Its a nuisance putting them back up, our biggest problem is the one's that have fallen off recently have been while traveling and above a slide out so by the time you realize it fell, it is now outside on the top of the slide out requiring us to find someone willing to climb up the ladder and retrieve the plastic lenses. We tried pulling the slides in but they got wedged between the camper and slide, not worth damage to either roof or light cover.
Going to dab some clear silicone and bend the tabs slightly to prevent this reoccurring problem, will see how it goes!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #13
Just A Member

I had this problem also and if your LED lights are like mine they do not have a metal tab to bend. The lens have a slot and they do turn but the metal housing only has a dimple in them to hold lens on. I have had mine outside on top of slide also and it is a pain to retrieve with the slide toppers on. What I have done is use a clay like substance you can buy at Michael's or craft stores for art work. It holds picture frames straight on walls. I put a little ball of this in each slot on lens and they have not come back off yet in about 3000 miles of towing. You could try plumbers putty it's about the same thing.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, led, light, slide, slide out