Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
John513

Lifting XLR29HFS

Anyone think about or have lifted there TT? Two reasons I am considering for one the underbelly stuff that covers the underneath, forgot what you call it, but rubs the front axle and I am afraid over time it will wear a hole in it. The other reason is I like to go camp in areas where you have to go off-road alittle. Not rough terrain, just there may be some dips or difference in grade where if not careful you might drag somewhere and tear a line off or something else. I was looking at mine and looks like it wouldn't be difficult and better yet not cost anything. leaf springs go under axle so if you put axle under leafs then I could gain a few inches. Just wondering what you all think about this.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRiordan View Post
Anyone think about or have lifted there TT? Two reasons I am considering for one the underbelly stuff that covers the underneath, forgot what you call it, but rubs the front axle and I am afraid over time it will wear a hole in it. The other reason is I like to go camp in areas where you have to go off-road alittle. Not rough terrain, just there may be some dips or difference in grade where if not careful you might drag somewhere and tear a line off or something else. I was looking at mine and looks like it wouldn't be difficult and better yet not cost anything. leaf springs go under axle so if you put axle under leafs then I could gain a few inches. Just wondering what you all think about this.
I agree the underbelly covering does hang on the front axle [i covered it with a heavy duty tape for wear protection]. putting the springs above the axles is a bit more then doing it . there needs to be the spring mounts welded to the axles , then your looking at close to 5 or 6 inches of rise . not sure how it will effect towing or stability of unit . i would if doing this up-grade to heavier axles 5200 lbs or greater and better springs . then your also looking at an additional step . let me know if you do it and how it all works out . not feeling like being the guinea pig on this one .
The unit could use a bit more clearance
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

I wonder if they make a better spring that could add 2 or 3 "
Old 05-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

go cards
Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #5

in your picture you look to be sagging in the rear a bit
Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

That's just age and gravity. Oh, you meant the trailer.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
I wonder if they make a better spring that could add 2 or 3 "
If you remove your spring packs, you can take them to a local spring shop. They can add leafs to the packs, make them stiffer or thicker, increase the load handling, add lift/arch, and be less prone to negative arching. The local guys are usually the best at that kind of stuff. Well worth a few bucks if you're going to spring-over. I went through several packs of stock springs on my Jeep before I smartened up...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
John513

I thought about the axle leaf mount. Since its just a trailer axle I figured I just rotate the axle. I also thought about shackles to lift it alittle higher to.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.etrailer.com/question-36526.html

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
John513

Thanks TURBS, good info there.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks TURBS, good info there.
Your absolutely welcome.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #12

Quote:
I thought about the axle leaf mount. Since its just a trailer axle I figured I just rotate the axle. I also thought about shackles to lift it alittle higher to.

Don't think you can flip axle . they are made to set a certain way
Old 05-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #13

The axle stays as is; the springs are moved (or flipped) from below to above the axle; with new spring perches added to the top. The lift is quite a lot; around 6".

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
John513

Forgot about that part on axles being where they need to be. Its just a thought I had and when and if I get serious I will have to decide on how much lift I want. TV is lifted 6 inches already and if I go that route I will have to think about the steps and back door. I won't be loading anything that sits low to ground, just ATVs. For now I have a few repairs on my list to do first since local dealers can't get in to shop for a couple months to do warranty work.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 AM   #15

Mine was "flipped" with the 4400# axles then "unflipped" when swapped to 5200#. Flipped, was an issue loading the bike; even now level on level ground its too tall. I have to raise the tongue some. ATVs no problem

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #16

WW. by flipped i meant turning the axle over so the bend in the axle is down not up . these units do need a few more inches of clearance . they are toy haulers after all and people want to take them where they will be riding their toys , like the dunes or mountains . getting to some campgrounds and boondocking takes you on some less then desirable roads . putting the springs on top of the axle and maybe better springs is the best way to go to get the clearance . haven't come up with anything better yet . I see many TT & TH's that are much higher then ours
Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
WW. by flipped i meant turning the axle over so the bend in the axle is down not up . these units do need a few more inches of clearance . they are toy haulers after all and people want to take them where they will be riding their toys , like the dunes or mountains . getting to some campgrounds and boondocking takes you on some less then desirable roads . putting the springs on top of the axle and maybe better springs is the best way to go to get the clearance . haven't come up with anything better yet . I see many TT & TH's that are much higher then ours
I'm no engineer, but I would think the bend is a type or preload and can't see how turning or swapping axlels end to end would do much for raising the body, if the springs stayed above the axles.

I wonder if there is a way to use 4 air shocks; UP for ground clearance and DOWN for loading or for less wind resistence? Besides, shocks are a good way to smooth the ride.

I suppose the type of enthusiasts that need the TH jacked up, would probably not be concerned with the steep ramp angle they would then have. Probably wouldn't be hauling a cruiser.

Not only THs but I just saw a 5er jacked up to get it level... pulling with a Ram 2500, which some say bed height is taller than Fords or Chevys. The 5er was in the trees! (I wonder if it is under 13'6").

With the 5200# axles, I really could use a 3 tread entrance step. I have a pair of wooden ones that work well... 6-1/2" rise / 11-1/2 tread; plus they are wider than the metal steps.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #18

WW i have no problems loading my bike . not all of us were lucky enough to get a free 5200# axle upgrade . I would love to raise my unit 4" to even 6 " and moving the springs on top of the axle seems to be the only real solution. Not sure air shocks will do what's needed . though it will give a better ride for the TH
Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #19
John513

Well I can be the Guinea pig on this one. Don't have time to do it now, but will be done in next couple months and I will post some pics when its lifted. I have a few other repairs to do first then I will lifter up.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #20

keep us posted , very interested in how you go about it , what you use , and how it looks and most importantly handles when done

Tags
xlr