Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #21

Thanks guys. Great info! We are on the hunt for a 27HFS and this forum is a great source of info.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #22

melk-man could you comment on the following?

It seems goofy to me that the XLR 27HFS has the gen controls on the wall near the floor. The battery disconnect is also in the same location. I'm 6Ft and from the pictures I would have to stand on my head to read generator hours. It does kinda make sense that they have the tank level meter in the bathroom. Not sure where you would find out how much fuel the generator has left unless it is outside at the fuel pumping station.

Does anyone that owns a XLR27HFS have comments on the above?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
melk-man could you comment on the following?

It seems goofy to me that the XLR 27HFS has the gen controls on the wall near the floor. The battery disconnect is also in the same location. I'm 6Ft and from the pictures I would have to stand on my head to read generator hours. It does kinda make sense that they have the tank level meter in the bathroom. Not sure where you would find out how much fuel the generator has left unless it is outside at the fuel pumping station.

Does anyone that owns a XLR27HFS have comments on the above?
no idea why the controls/hour meter are where they are, but yes.. you have to read the fuel gauge at the fuel station outside. You have to hit the switch inside by the stove to power the fuel station first though. Then hit the switch outside at the fuel station. you will hear the pump prime, then the gauge will show the fuel level. Don't forget to shut the switch OFF inside, or i have read the fuel pump can burn up/fail.
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #24

Thanks again Melk-man. Still trying to do my homework. I saw the Keystone Raptor 27FS and the layout is the same except for some minor stuff, like coach controls. Keystone has the fuel level, gen start, tank levels etc. all on one control panel.

Did you look at the Keystone model?

I'm trying to get that warm fuzzy before the sickening feeling of emptying my bank account on a large purchase
Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #25

Another question for you. Does the fueling station come as part of the generator prep package? The reason I ask is I am thinking of installing the generator myself after taking delivery. So I will be ordering with the gen prep package. If the fuel level meter is only a part of the fueling station that might be a problem.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Another question for you. Does the fueling station come as part of the generator prep package? The reason I ask is I am thinking of installing the generator myself after taking delivery. So I will be ordering with the gen prep package. If the fuel level meter is only a part of the fueling station that might be a problem.
You can order the gen prep without the fuel pump station.
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #27

Thanks. If I order the trailer without the fuel station, how will I determine how much fuel the generator has left?

Do you think it is possible for the factory to mount the gen control/hour meter higher on the wall where it is currently located?

Thanks all
Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks. If I order the trailer without the fuel station, how will I determine how much fuel the generator has left?

Do you think it is possible for the factory to mount the gen control/hour meter higher on the wall where it is currently located?

Thanks all
There will be a tank gauge to show you how much fuel is left. Thanks for the feedback on the hour meter. We'd have to check with our production team on this before to see if it could be done
Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #29

trailertrash---With the send unit having to be 1" off the bottom of the tank, there can be 0-6 gals. left when empty is indicated. Wish there was a little sump area for a longer gauge that could read closer to actual empty. At what level is the gen. fuel pickup? Is it about to run out at indicated 'empty' or at some other level? Also, the fuel tank needs to be mounted a little lower. The fill hose is so level it is difficult to fill without a lot of back flow onto the ground. Try to put a gas treatment in there; even with a funnel, you need to use a long tube to get it well down the throat of the fill hose or it runs out, too. I lowered my tank about 1 1/2 inches to get some down slope into the tank. While I'm offering my opinion... my trailer came with 3500# axles that FR and RVW graciously replaced with 4400#. That has allowed me to use the full potential of the load capacity of the trailer but I still have some tire rub on the inner fender wells. I think it must be from the twisting of the wheels on sharp turns on pavement. There is room for a bit wider axle that would seem to be a good idea. Would there be a problem putting a small wheel spacer on the hub for some extra width? Thanks
Rotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
trailertrash---With the send unit having to be 1" off the bottom of the tank, there can be 0-6 gals. left when empty is indicated. Wish there was a little sump area for a longer gauge that could read closer to actual empty. At what level is the gen. fuel pickup? Is it about to run out at indicated 'empty' or at some other level? Also, the fuel tank needs to be mounted a little lower. The fill hose is so level it is difficult to fill without a lot of back flow onto the ground. Try to put a gas treatment in there; even with a funnel, you need to use a long tube to get it well down the throat of the fill hose or it runs out, too. I lowered my tank about 1 1/2 inches to get some down slope into the tank. While I'm offering my opinion... my trailer came with 3500# axles that FR and RVW graciously replaced with 4400#. That has allowed me to use the full potential of the load capacity of the trailer but I still have some tire rub on the inner fender wells. I think it must be from the twisting of the wheels on sharp turns on pavement. There is room for a bit wider axle that would seem to be a good idea. Would there be a problem putting a small wheel spacer on the hub for some extra width? Thanks
Rotech - let me send your questions to our production/engineering team and see what I can find out for you
Old 10-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #31

I just bought a 2014 27HFS last month and my two biggest complaints are the AC and fuel station. The 13.5 AC does not have enough power to cool the camper when it is over 90 degrees. You're lucky if it stays in the low 80's inside the camper even though the thermostat is set at 78. Secondly, the gas tank and fill is absolutely terrible. You never know how much gas is in the tank because the gauge doesn't read accurately and it's almost impossible to fill. You can't take it to the gas station to fill it up because it will spill all over the ground. The only way I have found to fill it up is by putting a rubber hose deep into the tank and trickling gas very slowly down. It is very time consuming, doesn't fill the tank all the way up and in my opinion is purely dangerous if you try to fill at a gas station.
SAW409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #32

I haven't had trouble with the AC but agree completely with the fuel station. The level gauge used in the fuel tank stops about 1 inch above the bottom. It's inductive and can't be allowed to touch the steel. When it shows empty, there could be 0 to 5 gals in the tank. It would be nice if it had a little sump area for a longer sender to sit lower and get down to the last gallon at least.

The fill hose is too level. While filling, I had to hold the fuel hose upside down to prevent gas from spitting back out on the ground and pump slowly. I mounted some perforated 1 1/2 square steel tubing between the tank and the frame to lower it. Then I strapped the tank down to prevent it bouncing. There is now some downward slope into the tank from the filler. I haven't filled it from a pump yet but it should be better. It was virtually impossible to add any gas treatment or empty a can back into the tank without it running out before but now that is not a problem. I don't see a problem with ground clearance with the tank lowered. It maybe could be mounted a bit lower yet if need be.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #33

I have found the same problems with the fuel station. I have to hold the nozzle up side down to get fuel in the tank and not all over the ground and my shoes. I have read other posts regarding lowering the tank, but have not attempted it yet. I think Forrest River should step-up and find a fix. I also think that I could Pee more and harder that the nozzle flows. We only use the nozzle to fill the lawn equipment, so I was not that upset.

I did notice the 13.5 a/c does have a hard time cooling when the outside temp is in the high 90's and up. We use a small fan to help.

Our warranty is up this month so I have made a list and a local dealer is contacting Forrest River to get the work completed. We will see. I called about the second year warranty after reading a post on this forum and was told that it was to late. I only had 10 days from date of purchase. To bad the selling dealer did not mention it. and there was nothing in the paper work I read. I did purchase a extended warranty from the dealer. Gee, I wonder why he did not mention the factory second year.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #34

I have not tried the fuel station but I did get the 15 upgraded ac in my 24 and it is downright chilly. Definitely a good upgrade for people considering a purchase.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #35
RFK

I had the same problem with the fuel station on my 2013 27 hfs. This is a warranty issue with forest river. Once I made them aware of my concern they emailed the design change to my local dealer and all is we'll with the system. If they would have sent me the plans I could have done it in my driveway in about an hour. The cage surrounding the tank is in two halves. Supporting the tank with a floor jack. Undo the bolts holding the two halves together and discard. Using sections of 1/2 steel pipe placed between the to halves and 3 inch long bolts to bolt everything back together will accomplish a drop in the fuel tank and resolve the filling problem. Inca get pictures uploaded tomorrow in the daylight. I was frustrated at first but Diane at Forest River was awesome !
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
:iwo
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #36

RFK, I have a local repair shop that has contacted forest river about warranty some of my warranty issues. I will try to add the fuel tank. Thanks

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote