Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

modifying/removing loft above garage in 29DK5

Hi everyone, we just picked up our new Nitro 29DK5. The one thing we disliked about the layout when we chose this unit was the loft area located above the garage. We have no use or need for another sleeping area up there so we'd like to make it more accessible as storage area.

The challenge to using it as a storage area is accessing it. From the living area side, you need the included ladder or a pretty tall step stool to just access the small area that is open, you'd have to crawl up there to utilize all the area tucked back behind the wall to the left. Not a good plan.

My first thought was to cut openings through the paneling on the garage side and mount cupboard doors on the garage side. I figure with a step stool we can open those doors and store helmets, clothing, supplies up there with access from the garage side. This shouldn't be too difficult....

The BIG idea.... would be to completely remove the loft area. I would then need to close off the opening to the living area with a matching panel for the interior, and then i'd have a much higher ceiling in that part of the garage and could mount cabinets or shelves up there for garage storage. I'd love this, but i'm a little unsure about removing that whole loft and what i'm going to encounter and be left with once it's gone.

does anyone have experience with a modification like this? Advice? Would I be able to purchase some matching interior panel material from Forest River?

thanks
Minnesotajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

Just got off a call with XLR. I contacted their service department, a guy named Don went and got one of the technicians to join the call. they were great to talk to. I expected to hear "Don't change anything, you will void your warranty, etc". Instead, the technician said "sure, you could remove it completely, but you will be dealing with repairing the walls and ceiling... instead i would recommend installing cabinets right into the loft structure".

he said they've done it at the factory on special orders. He told me to remove the rear facing panel in the garage from the loft structure to expose the framing and work from there. I still would prefer to open up the headroom/ceiling height, but i think i will try this first.
Minnesotajeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loft