Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

Moving over from Grand Design....Need advice!

Hello from So. Cal!
I am wanting to trade in my 2014 Grand Design Refelctions for a new 375xlr and have a few questions if you don't mind. We have been very happy with the Grand Design unit but the DW loves the Xlrs.

1. We need every inch of the stated garage length of 12'6". Is this number accurate?

2. How would owners of the Xlrs rate the quality, customer support, satisfaction?

3. The options on the stability of the tow and low pin weight? I have a 2015 F350 cc SRW long bed.

4. Is the full body paint worth it?

5. Has anyone bought from Parris Rv in Murphy, Utah? Opinions?

6. Any opinions on anything I left out?

We are hoping to order one real soon!

Joe
Nguyenbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyenbio View Post
Hello from So. Cal!
I am wanting to trade in my 2014 Grand Design Refelctions for a new 375xlr and have a few questions if you don't mind. We have been very happy with the Grand Design unit but the DW loves the Xlrs.

1. We need every inch of the stated garage length of 12'6". Is this number accurate?

It depends on if you get the ramp door patio and/or the three season doors. They will cost you almost a foot of garage floorspace. This is one reason we went with the 14' garage of the 395.

2. How would owners of the Xlrs rate the quality, customer support, satisfaction?

OUTSTANDING! Best experience after the sale I've experienced and I've bought a few new RV's. Not everyone shares my sentiment on this and as with every brand, there are lots of good and bad stories on the forums. I think a lot has to do with how you approach an issue. Sure, my RV had some problems, but XLR went above and beyond to remedy them.

3. The options on the stability of the tow and low pin weight? I have a 2015 F350 cc SRW long bed.

XLR's listed pin weights are some of the most accurate in the industry. This was a big selling point for us as we too have a SRW Ford. You will be under on your GAWR, GVWR for the truck, and tire ratings. The only thing you will be over is on GCWR.

4. Is the full body paint worth it?

100% YES. This the one option we vacilated on for the longest time and are so happy we went for it. XLR will also do custom colors for you so if you want it to match your truck, they will do that for you. That's what we did...

5. Has anyone bought from Parris Rv in Murphy, Utah? Opinions?

Can't help there. Sorry. Our local dealer was way too far off on price so we ended up at Couch's in OH. Saved us $9500.

6. Any opinions on anything I left out?

Too much to post without narrowing it down but feel free to ask more...

We are hoping to order one real soon!

Good luck on your order Joe. The wait is the hardest part...

Joe
Joe, there is a member here with the handle darvinstone. They have a 375 that they just bought this spring. I'm sure Stan will be along to help you out...
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Joe, there is a member here with the handle darvinstone. They have a 375 that they just bought this spring. I'm sure Stan will be along to help you out...
Karl,

Thanks for all the advice! Our sxs is actually 12.8' long, while the 375xlr is 12.6' long. I was thinking about removing the bed the sxs during trips where we do take it. That will then allow me to drive sxs in and place the bed alongside the sxs in the garage. I figure if I only take our sxs once every five trips, then why get something longer. Plus my wife likes the curbside seating area as opposed to the 395xlr that has the 14' garage but street side seating area. We like to have windows to see our three kids. When the sxs does come along, it will come out and sit out until the trip is over. Is this common sense thinking or just trying to make something work?

How do you feel about the AC configuration. The kids will be sleeping in the garage are of course. Will an air in the main and garage, both ducted, cool the garage also? Do you recommend three air units? This is a concern of mine. I know my two airs in my 33' Grand Design makes it a freezer.

As far as options go, is a residential fridge upgrade worth it? I heard that if one dry camps, like we do sometimes, do not get the upgrade. Just stay with the domestic.

Joe
Old 10-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

I ordered mine with all three ac's. Relatively, it's a small expense. Just FYI, the garage AC is not ducted. The bedroom and main are both plumbed into the same ducts that feed the entire trailer but the garage unit just dumps either straight down our out four side ports. Whichever you choose. The thee ac setup also comes with the load management system which is a sweet setup allowing you to run all three ac's at once. If it senses low current or too high a draw, it will shed one of the ac's to prevent a breaker from popping or ac burnout due to low voltage.

On the SXS deal, remember you won't have 12'6" with the ramp patio or rear three season doors. Both options I would no do without. If you do decide to skip both options just to make the SXS work it will still be VERY close and rubbing is never a good thing. We sold a 10' garage hauler for just this reason. Also, if ever you want a washer in the garage, that takes up space too. A full size grill is nice to take with you as well... Things to consider.

As to the fridge, if you never dry camp then it's a nice setup. It will run off an inverter when your traveling but won't last long on battery without the truck running. We want to take a few longer trips where we stay overnight on the way. So, being on propane overnight is a must for us. If you are never going further than a days drive and always have full hookups then go for the residential. Otherwise the Dometic two way fridge has been plenty big for us.

A couple other options XLR will do but aren't on the list are slide toppers and an LP quick connect for your grill.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
I ordered mine with all three ac's. Relatively, it's a small expense. Just FYI, the garage AC is not ducted. The bedroom and main are both plumbed into the same ducts that feed the entire trailer but the garage unit just dumps either straight down our out four side ports. Whichever you choose. The thee ac setup also comes with the load management system which is a sweet setup allowing you to run all three ac's at once. If it senses low current or too high a draw, it will shed one of the ac's to prevent a breaker from popping or ac burnout due to low voltage.

On the SXS deal, remember you won't have 12'6" with the ramp patio or rear three season doors. Both options I would no do without. If you do decide to skip both options just to make the SXS work it will still be VERY close and rubbing is never a good thing. We sold a 10' garage hauler for just this reason. Also, if ever you want a washer in the garage, that takes up space too. A full size grill is nice to take with you as well... Things to consider.

As to the fridge, if you never dry camp then it's a nice setup. It will run off an inverter when your traveling but won't last long on battery without the truck running. We want to take a few longer trips where we stay overnight on the way. So, being on propane overnight is a must for us. If you are never going further than a days drive and always have full hookups then go for the residential. Otherwise the Dometic two way fridge has been plenty big for us.

A couple other options XLR will do but aren't on the list are slide toppers and an LP quick connect for your grill.
Karl,

Thanks for the quick replies! As for the garage, my sxs will be 12'4". That would give me 2" to spare if the garage measurement from the factory of 12'6" is accurate. I don't mind removing the patio gates when necessary to fit the sxs in there since we would only be carrying the sxs 20% of the time we are out camping.

I think we will be ordering the Dometic for the refrigerator. I definitely will get the propane tap if they offer that. I went to Camping World here in So Cal at the Pomona RV show and these guys came in at almost 20k above the dealer in Utah. I can believe the nerve of some of these companies!

Joe
Old 10-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #6

Joe, the patio gate system takes up less room than the three season doors which are mounted in 6-8" from the ramp. You might make it. I'll message Stan and see if he will measure his 375 garage for you. By the way, there is a new patio system the the Thunderbolts are coming with now. Not sure how easy it will be for you to remove it. The patio gate now is attached to the RV as opposed to the ramp door. It rolls out and sets up easier than the previous version but is also not so easy to remove like the previous.

The dealer may or may not know about the LP connect but I believe I paid about $50 for it and it was done at the factory. They even asked me where I wanted it so give that some thought.

I hear you on dealer vs. dealer pricing. It's all over the board. Bottom line is the right deal on an ordered rig is right around 35% off MSRP. I think Couch's gave me 36% off.

So, you think you will go for the paint? They also do an option for double clear coat which smooths the transition lines between the colors. I didn't go for that as I was already spending so much. Just something else to consider.The Intensity Pkg is nice if you decided to skip the paint...

What other options have you decided on? One I like for a SRW truck is the Tuson Sway Control. It's only about $450 and really keeps the trailer as straight as an arrow behind you. It's especially nice behind a SRW truck. It has the ability to pulse one side of the brakes or the other to straighten you out it sway starts. The extreme weather pkg is nice not only for cooler temps, but keeps the cool air in better in the summer. The double pane windows are also better at blocking campground noise.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #7

I just got your measurements from Stan and it doesn't look like your SXS plan will work. Here's what he told me. "138” from washer/dryer (front divider) wall to three season door and 144” to outside of handrail. Basically, without three season door, you would have 12 ft. on the nose and loose 6” with the door." So, even if you removed the rail for the patio you'd only pick up a couple more inches. I don't see you having 12'4" never mind 12'6" with 2" buffer you were hoping for. Sorry for the bad news...
Old 10-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

Wow! Kind of confusing.
So from wall to wall, with the door shut and patio system removed, how much am I looking at?

Thanks for your adice and info! I might have to look at the 395 but the wife wants curbside seating.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #9

12'2".
Old 10-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #10

Thank you! Looks like I'm going to have to rework some ideas here!
Old 10-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #11

No problem. Sorry I didn't have better news. I too really like the 375 floorplan but I couldn't give up my three season patio rail or three season doors and somehow seem to use all 14' of my garage. I've learned that there is never a perfect floorplan. To get one thing you always seem to have to give up another. It's all about finding the layout that you have to sacrifice the least with.