Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #1

New 2015 Nitro 24FQSL

New member to Forum! I would like to hear from other Nitro owners and here how they like their Nitro TH. We have only been out for 3 weekends. The only issue we have had is one of the Jack-Knife sofa legs that is mounted to the wall bent. This looks like a poor design for that thin square tubing.

Would also like to know what kind of wheel chocks is everyone using in these Nitro's.

Love the unit so far!
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new rig! We are still waiting on ours... As to wheel chocks, we used roto-chocks on our last unit. RotoChock - The best security solution for your 2-wheel trailer They not only chock the tires, but also take some of the wiggle out of the trailer while parked. There are different models based on your tire spacing. One thing to remember if you get them is to re-tighten them about 30-45 minutes after you park. Your tires expand as they heat up while towing and shrink back down quickly when you stop. So, if you tighten the rotochocks when you first set up, they get a little loose as the tires cool. Other than that, a great system. Our new unit on order will have 6 point leveling so no more need for them for us, but were great while we had them in use! Anyways, congrats again on the new rig...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Thank you Taken for the reply, but as for the chocks I was talking about the motorcycle chocks inside. You also stated in your reply about 6 point leveling, what's that all about? We use x-chocks now that has removed about all of the movement out front to back. Still have a little movement from side to side. I have a set of JT Strong Arm stabilizer's I'm going to be installing.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Ah, my mistake! For inside bike chocks, I'm using a Wheel Dock on my Road King. WheelDock Motorcycle Wheel Chock - EZ Up Center Stand
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

The Harbor Freight "Pittsburg" motorcycle wheel chocks are affordable, fairly stout, and hold the bike up surprisingly well even before you strap down. My buddy and I have used them a good bit, the one time he trailered my old Suzuki (before I had the XLR,) a strap let go and my bike was leaning, but it didn't fall over. That chock saved the day. Of course, if $ is no object, check out the Condor.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #6

I have been interested in the 24FQSL. Went to a dealer with my measuring tape. I am wanting to put two motorcycles in there and it looks like I would have a problem on the left side where the sink is. My bike 8'4" long and there did not seem to be enough room for a wheel chock. Someone here on the site mentioned Biker Bars from B&M. This looks like the ideal setup as it supports the bike by the frame under the engine/trans. There spendy at $350 though. It is made for Harley's but they have instructions to check if your bike is compatible or not. I have a Yamaha V-Star 1300 and it fits their specs.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #7

I will be helping Krawler install his B&W Biker Bar this weekend. I'm anxious to see how it clamps the bike and how it installs in the garage. Full report to follow...
Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I will be helping Krawler install his B&W Biker Bar this weekend. I'm anxious to see how it clamps the bike and how it installs in the garage. Full report to follow...

Great! Look forward to reading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

So today was B&W Biker Bar install day in my buddy's TH (a non-FR product, but we'll overlook that for now.)😉

I must say... I want one. Like immediately. If we would have read the instructions a little more thoroughly before we started, we would have known the fix to the one issue we had (which we eventually figured out, it just would have been faster!) The biggest thing seemed to be getting the bar clamped onto the bike's frame, ie, finding a good spot that didn't hit anything. We had to slightly bend a hard brake line out of the way, and cut a zip tie holding a wiring run and re-zip it elsewhere. The issue was the kickstand/jiffy stand (I hate that name, btw) hits the bar when you try to put it up, so you have to reach down and pull the stand out and then up, sort of around the bar. There's a good deal of play in the bushing at the top of the stand when the bike's weight isn't on it, so it worked. Once we figured that out, we were good. Like I said, read the instructions first...😏

So then we set about measuring where to put the base plate, drilling two 5/8" holes in the floor, bolting the base plate to the 2 mounting plates underneath, and then lagging those two plates into the underside of the floor so they stay in place...then you can remove the 2 long bolts that go through the base plate and take the whole thing off when you don't need it. After that step, it was on to adjusting the height of the jaws so the bike would lock in when he rode it in, and all was good. It's rock solid forward backward, even without a wheel chock in place. There's a little movement left-right because the bar can slide a little bit sideways in the jaws, but it can't move far enough for anything bad to happen.

It's definitely a 2 person job to install, because the rider has to sit on the bike when you make your measurements--the suspension has to be compressed a little for it to lock in and really hold (the bike pushes up on the mount when you get off it, which is what holds it in place.)

All in all, it seems like a solid unit and I'll be ordering one when the funds permit. $350 is a little spendy, but they could probably charge more for it. Just doing my part to keep the B&W guys employed and put their kids through college...
Old 03-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

Thanks for the review. It confirms my wish for a 24FQSL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #11

Took possession of our 2016 24fqsl in September. Love it! I agree that the fold down legs on the couches are poorly designed. My question is, do you have an overhead cabinet in the bedroom on the wall shared with the bathroom? It is shown on the brochure but I ours is missing. I just brought the question to the dealer; awaiting an answer.

2016 NITRO XLR 24FQSL
2013 Ford F-150 4x4, eco boost, heavy duty tow package and Blue Ox WDH
Daisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

Daisies :
I have a 2015 with the storage shelf in the bedroom above the night stand. My brother has the 2015 with the SS appliances, party deck and changed wall for bathroom, but it does not have the storage shelf. It must have been dropped with the new design. About the couch legs, you might want to install supports under the legs on the wall to keep them from bending down. Bending 1" square tube 90 degrees makes very weak. We love our TH also and have done many mods to our 24FQSL.