Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Thumbs down New 25KW initial review

Good morning,
First time poster on this forum.

We have a new FR 25KW, which we took out for an initial overnight trip last weekend.

WX was clear, with a high in the mid 50's and low in the mid 20's.

After getting setup in a campground (no running water, or sewer, electric only), we started going through the trailer. We filled the water tank to about 1/2 at the campground before parking.

First off, the water would not pump / run. I could hear the pump start, but all we got was spitting through both the hot and cold water. Quickly calling the stealer service department, we were able to find the conveniently hidden water pump (behind the cabinet, requiring us to remove the bottom drawer). After tinkering we found the input that wasn't even hand tight (Could turn it with one finger). A quick twist and we could hear water filling the hot water tank.

Following the service tech's guidance, we waited for about 10 minutes before trying to run the water again. Well the hot water was running fine, but we still got spits when turning the cold water on. Turning the cold water on also drained the pressure from the hot water tank. No joy there.

The second thing we noticed was the hot / cold water was reversed at the faucet.

Being a cold night we were looking forward to chilling out while dinner cooked. Good thing we brought an electric heater. Who in their right mind designs a trailer without a single heater vent in the living area? Geez.

I'm not saying the heater didn't work. It just pumped all the heat into the bedroom and bathroom. I'd say those two rooms where well over 90 degrees with the doors shut, while the living area was in the lower 60's (even with the electric heater running full blast). Leaving the bathroom / bedroom doors open only helped a little, but not enough to make a real difference.

The stealer is going to get an ear full today. This trailer as it is setup right now cannot be used off grid during the fall (Temps 60 - 30) without supplemental heat due to the poor heating design.

Off the stump.
AmericanBwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
XLR Production

There should be a heater vent routed through the refer compartment to the living area.
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

Just rechecked, there isn't a single heater vent in the living area.

The stealer ship will not return my calls. Looks like I need to make a trip and pound on some doors.

Not very happy at this point.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
54 Years, 13 RV's

When you look at the heater, how many vent hoses are coming off of the case? What size heater is it?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Appears you received a very poor PDI/Customer Orientation.

Shame on your selling dealer.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

It doesn't look like any of the ports are used on the sides. The heat is dropping down through the floor and then gets distributed.

I'm not even sure there is enough room to run my own hoses based on the attached pictures. Sorry the front view is upside down.

Heater is a 35k. Seems like a lot to heat a small bathroom and bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	160435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	160436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	160437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2451.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	160438  
Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
54 Years, 13 RV's

I'm not familiar with your model, but the good news is, after the dealer does nothing for you, you can add vent hoses and associated grills to those round "knock outs" to other locations in the main cabin of your RV.

Hose, adapters and vents to match are readily available on amazon, CW and other places for very nominal prices.

Because it looks to me that you have floor ducted registers, you may have a disconnect or mis-route somewhere, or hidden, closed registers.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 PM   #8

Following this . . . .
Old 01-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #9

AmericanBwana
Have a look through the bathroom vent looking back with a mirror to he furnace and see if something looks amiss, I have a 28KW and there is a vent in the kitchen area and another one in the cargo area

I was able to fine some pics of your Nitro and I would call Forest river direct , even the 23kw has a round vent coming out under the fridge by the seat

Dave
49Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

Yea I've looked over there several times, but nothing is there.

The stealership has a call into FR (since Thursday) to see if it should have one in there. If so, they'll make it right.

I also dropped an email into FR service manager to see if it was designed that way. No response since Wednesday.

If not, I've come up with a plan to grab one of the front vent holes (just inside the return air vent, below the oven), and drop a 4" round vent in. Placing it on a 9 x 9 or so board (taking some from the return air) then drop a 9 x 18 return air duct in to cover the remaining space.

Hopefully I'll hear something early this week.

AB
Old 02-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #11

So a heater vent is supposed to come out in the cargo area, behind the refer. The dealer has reached out FR to see what can be done. Still haven't heard anything yet.

I looked at the 360 view on FR's site, and it did not have a heater vent in that location. So either the dealer service department got bad info, or there are a lot of these campers on dealers lots (and front yards) with a missing vent.

My request directly into FR service depart has yet to be answered. Not sure what the issue is there.

Will advise.

AB
Old 02-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBwana View Post
So a heater vent is supposed to come out in the cargo area, behind the refer. The dealer has reached out FR to see what can be done. Still haven't heard anything yet.

I looked at the 360 view on FR's site, and it did not have a heater vent in that location. So either the dealer service department got bad info, or there are a lot of these campers on dealers lots (and front yards) with a missing vent.

My request directly into FR service depart has yet to be answered. Not sure what the issue is there.

Will advise.

AB
Don't bank on a call back from Forest River. I have had three of their products. After you leave the lot the problems are yours and your dealers if you can get them to cooperate. Mesa RV stopped handling their products altogether because of this. On my last and recent Shockwave I made 14 calls to various departments @ Riverside and would you believe 3 weeks later I have yet to receive a call from sales, warranty, parts, division manager etc. Not one live person answered the phone in 14 calls. All were voice messages and they would return your call. Of course after three weeks this has not happened from anyone.

LOL, Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #13

Unhappy

Apparently FR decided to respond to the third or fourth request from the dealer regarding this issue.

FR and the dealer have made arrangements to install the vent.

The trailer is going in this morning for this and the other warranty items. We will see how long it takes them to get done, and how the vent looks after the work is finished.

I suspect lots of 25KW buyers will be disappointed with the heating setup if they don't press to get it fixed.

Again, none of the pictures or videos on the FR site show a vent in the living area behind the refer. Makes me wonder what else they 'forgot' to do.

Overall, I would not recommend this product based on the factory oversights and poor factory workmanship (water system, exhaust fan rubbing, water hooked up backwards in kitchen, stripped and broken TV antenna switch, poor curtain velcro workmanship, poor quality control / QA).

Will advise.

AB
Old 04-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #14

Were you able to get the heater vent installed in your trailer?

We just bought a 2018 25KW and have the same issue. Vents in the bathroom and bedroom and nothing in the main living area.

First outing last night, heat set to 66 degrees and woke up with the temperature in the bedroom around 90.

Thanks,

Alan
AlanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #15

Alan, Yes the dealer did install a heater duct in the living space. It is adjacent to the CO alarm. it was covered by the warranty.

We've also put some duct tape on the bed room heater vent, leaving about 1/2 inch, and covered about 1/2 of the bathroom vent.

On our last trip with temps right at freezing the temps were pretty balanced.

Two new issues have left the camper at the dealer for about 6 weeks. The first is a safety recall where they installed the wrong size safety chain. It took about 4 weeks for the part to come in. We are now waiting for a replacement electric jack (also a recall). Apparently the cover tends to crack, allowing water into the system and shorting it out. It 'should' be in this week.

Two other non recall items needed to be fixed also. One is the stripping on the side. it pulled away when heated by the morning sun. The second was a loose black tank clamp. This second one dumped water into the under carriage when we tried to rinse the black tank out.

Hopefully we'll be able to get the safety bugs worked out this month, as we are heading over to Dinosaur National Monument for the memorial day weekend.

Be well and good luck.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #16

AmericanBwana, are you in the Colorado area?

If so which dealer are you working with?

We bought our trailer in Salt Lake City but live in Colorado.

Thanks,

Alan
Old 04-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #17

Alan,
Sent you a PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #18

Pics #2, 5, and 7 here:

https://www.funtownrv.com/product-fo...travel-trailer

show you have floor ducted heating. They should have installed a floor register in your toy hauler area.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Pics #2, 5, and 7 here:

show you have floor ducted heating. They should have installed a floor register in your toy hauler area.
Those pictures are of a 28KW, which is a slightly larger trailer than my 25KW.

Would love to see pics of a 25KW with factory installed register in the kitchen or toy hauler area.

@AmericanBwana could you possibly post pics of the register that they installed in your trailer for the warranty repair?

Thanks!

Alan
Old 04-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Those pictures are of a 28KW, which is a slightly larger trailer than my 25KW.

Would love to see pics of a 25KW with factory installed register in the kitchen or toy hauler area.

@AmericanBwana could you possibly post pics of the register that they installed in your trailer for the warranty repair?

Thanks!

Alan
Oops, you're right. I didn't google a 28, but I guess that's what I got.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote