Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #1

Newbie Looking at a 2013 XLR

Hello all,
New to forums in general and looking to be a first time camper owner.

With that being said looking for a help with some questions I have about a 2013 XLR 27HFS I have been looking at.

In the garage underneath the window the wall is seems to delaminating on the inside. When pushing on it it almost feels if the glue let go to 1 one or more of the wall construction layers amd feels rubbery. If you push real hard if feels there is a still sold layer behind it. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

If I have posted this is wrong area please advise and help me navigate the forum.

Thank you
HighendtentCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #2

Soft areas on the walls, floors and ceilings generally means dry rot or water damage.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #3

I do understand that. Iwas wondering if there was a way to see if the glue of wall just let go from a previous wet area and had a way to tell how extensive damage is.

Would really like to see a section view of the wall construction to see what I am feeling.

I am handy and can do work as needed. Just trying to figure out if I should walk away or still consider this unit. It is really well priced compared to others I see online and in general is in very nice shape.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:33 AM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Soft areas on the walls, floors and ceilings generally means dry rot or water damage.
X2. I hope that hard area your talking about is not the fiberglass on the outside. The walls on these fivers & TTs are not very thick.
Beware any water damage.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:44 AM   #5

Years ago, I bought a Starcraft popup truck camper that had dry rot.
I repaired it by rebuilding the walls, a lot of work to rescue an old camper.
You might be able to see inside by carefully pulling back a panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starcraft popup.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	276203   Click image for larger version

Name:	starcraft popup 3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	276204   Click image for larger version

Name:	starcraft popup 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	276205  
Old 07-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #6

I don't mind doing some repairs and maintenance but also don't want to rebuild a camper either.

It's just very strange to me that this problem area is right next to the track for bed to go up and down. On on side of track is squishy area(1ft by 1ft and does not go to floor) the other side of track (3inch over) is hard as a rock. That's what gives me hope it may not be that bad. Also camper has been closed up since last August and does not have any mold or musty smells.

Seems as if glue is just starting to let go kinda like a car headliner.

So ultimately if someone could lead me to a diagram of wall construction it may give me a better idea of what I am feeling and how to access it. The interior layer does not feel like wall paper more of a rubber vinyl.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:53 PM   #7

On many campers of that era, the walls are 2x2 studs on 16" centers with 3/16" plywood on the inside. The outside is aluminum siding. Can't remember whether there's 3/16" plywood behind the siding, too, but I think so.

The biggest issue is going to be the roof. It always is. Have you been on the roof, feeling for soft spots?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:08 PM   #8

The roof seems to be good in shape. That is my question really if it's has plywood that can be cut out and replaced and that would be manageable. If the walls are the "vacuumed sealed" one peice construction how would you do a patch job on something of that nature. It seems to be advertised as the one peice walls.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #9

Take out an outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighendtentCamper View Post
The roof seems to be good in shape. That is my question really if it's has plywood that can be cut out and replaced and that would be manageable. If the walls are the "vacuumed sealed" one peice construction how would you do a patch job on something of that nature. It seems to be advertised as the one peice walls.
Can you take out an outlet and see what the cross section looks like. RVs don't use junction boxes--the outlet clamps onto the Romex NM cable so you should be able to see up to the outside skin.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:45 PM   #10
2014 XLR 27HFS

I own a 2014 XLR. Recently I drilled a 2" hole through that area you mention to install an exterior plug. The wall has aluminum "studs". Between the studs looks like hard packed Styrofoam. Then there is inner and outer skins glued on.

If mind separated, i would find a way to peal back the panel (or remove a section), epoxy the affected area, repkace the panel, and apply pressure till it cures.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:57 PM   #11

Great. That's the kinda info I am looking for. Unfortanatly I can't dig too deep until I buy it. The sellers are hesitant on even unwinterizing it so I can see everything work because they are in the middle of moving. It's going to be a coin flip. I really like the layout of the unit which is making a me have a hard time walking away
Old 07-11-2022, 10:56 PM   #12

I have owned and repaired quite a few campers over the last 10 years. Around 10 of them. Issues tend to bother me and I want to fix everything. One thing that I have found with walls, is that if there are no current leaks and it is not a major issue, it's sometimes best just to leave it be and live with it. The floor on the other hand, if it is a small area, pour some epoxy in small layers on the bad spot and the wood will soak it up and harden.

That being said, rotten wood and walls you can poke holes in or that are still wet inside definitely need to be addressed. One issue is that you are not going to do a repair that matches the surrounding area.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:33 PM   #13

I have the same camper 2013 XLR 27HFS, and I swear the walls are no more than 1/2" thick.. seriously.
The interior walls are covered in what almost appears to be like a fiberboard covered in glued on wallpaper.
How does the outside around this area look, any bubbles or other issues, it could be the window leaked?
Old 10-13-2022, 08:20 PM   #14

Usually...b

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
I have the same camper 2013 XLR 27HFS, and I swear the walls are no more than 1/2" thick.. seriously.
The interior walls are covered in what almost appears to be like a fiberboard covered in glued on wallpaper.
How does the outside around this area look, any bubbles or other issues, it could be the window leaked?
The walls are usually 3/16" three-ply Luan plywood. Luan is sometimes called Philippine Mahogany, a very soft wood. If there is any water leakage in the area, the wallpaper develops a rough texture, like it had hives or poison ivy.

Turn power off and pull one of the outlets or switches out to see the wall material.

Tags
2013, newbie, xlr