Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #1

Newbie XLR 29 hfs

Picking up our camper on Monday. Never owned one. Looking for some basic guidance.
I pick it up and then have to travel 1000 miles home. At this point I don't know what I don' know.
What are some of the basics I will need to purchase? It does not have a generator, will buy a Honda later. I will camp in it the first night on the way home. Stopping at a state campground to plug it in. I know there are a lot of goodies out there but what are the basics. I heard don't skimp on the 20 ft black water hose. I am unsure what comes on this TT as a hook up for shore power.
Anything specific to be able to hook to power the first night.
All comments welcome........
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #2

Just about every RV comes with a cord. Prob either 30 or 50 amp one. You will need a white hose for water hookup, 20-30 feet of sewer hose to dump all your tanks, and a cable cord if you choose to want cable tv. Don't know if your rig comes with a starter kit which may include some if these but at tr very least it will have a power cord.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #3

Not sure if you have ever driven a trailer before but it is always great to have 1 or 2 sets of eyes on the back of the camper when backing it in to the spot. One thing that happened to me was I am used to swinging the trailer wide when making a turn with my boat but a camper has a little bit more on the end past the wheels. I swung it a little wide while pulling thru our camp spot one time and brushed a tree just on the left rear and it slightly separated the trim about mid way up on the corner. Just please be careful and go slow when backing in or pulling thru in tight areas.
Martins5547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

I would also buy a WD Hitch I think the tongue weight is a little heavier than stated and if you add two batteries and both tanks are full of propane and you put anything on the rack such as a generator you will be tongue heavy. The Shore power line and a small hose for the exterior water connection is all that comes with it unless the dealer offers a starter kit.

If you are going to camp on the way back be sure to get you some chemicals for your toilet and take some bed linens that is only a cover on the mattress I actually took a sleeping bag and used it when I picked mine up I only had to drive back 500 miles. I would get them to put some fresh water in your water tank so if you have to stop and use the bathroom you can flush.

Good luck!
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

You'll need a water pressure regulator and some wheel chocks too.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #6

And some leveling blocks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #7

You should invest in a surge protector also. I was camping a month ago and the power pedestal beside me shorted out and we lost power several people had problems with equipment not working after that but all of my equipment worked fine because I did have a surge protector. Most of the appliances have some type of circuit board in them which power surges will destroy.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #8

Thanks...Great comments. I did buy an equi I zer WD. After reading it seems like the best bet.
I still need to get a water hose and sewer hose. What is the most common lengths for the water or sewer hose. I think 20ft sewer and 50ft water.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #9

I got a 10 ft and a 25 ft for drinking and then a 25 foot green hose for washing the black water tank I also got an inline water filter. On the sewer I got a 15 foot and a 10 foot plus a clear elbow so I would know when it was clean. You will also want yo get the wheel chocks that you put between the tires to lock them. I level the tires and put the wheel chocks at the wheels before I un hook.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #10

Welcome to the XLR family! You have gotten some good advice! I agree that a 10' and 25' white water hose is a good idea. Coiling a 50' hose is a pita. Harbor Freight sells nice black rubber wheel chocks to use BEFORE unhooking the trailer. I cut a 1"x4" board and use it for leveling the trailer. I also cut a 4"x4" board to use under the tongue. You will be amazed how often you need them all.

I advise making a departure and arrival checklist - if you want to PM me, I can send you our lists. You will struggle a little at first but backing, unhooking, and hooking up becomes easier soon.

Congratulations!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

Thanks...
Now another question.
I need to buy a battery, so what fits the best? I guessed at a series 29 marine battery with 859'cca with a box to match, i hope it fits on the tongue properly.
Lastly
How do you secure it on the tongue? I mean I don't want it to walk off.
Thanks.....
Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #12

You sure it doesn't come with the battery and box?

Definitely a marine deep cycle battery but I would verify it's not included.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #13

You can get the exact same battery that you have and I bought my additional battery box from WalMart which cares RV supplies. All you need to do is put the battery box beside the other one and then run a couple of self tapping screws through the bottom of the box to the frame and then install your battery. To wire them up you just connect the ground from the chassis to the first battery and from the first battery to the negative on the second battery and you will do the same for the positive side.
I did the same thing and it works fine. I also put a pig tail on the battery to plug up a solar trickle panel to keep them charged up when it sits.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #14

Pick up a regulator for the water hose. You don't want to damage any of your plumbing with too much water pressure. I would also buy a Matt for you camp site. It really helps control the amount of dirt you track into your new camper. Walmart has the best price on them in the camping section. Have fun and welcome to the xlr family.
Jeff Auton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #15

If you have cable, it's nice to have enough wire plus keep an extra male/ female adapter just in case.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #16

hope you like your new toy hauler

Hi LauraJean,
I also have a 29HFS I've been camping for years and pulling trailers for more years. You didn't say what you are going to tow with, but I assume it is at least a 3/4 ton... if you did, I missed it. This 29 is a big 'gal' for a tag-a-long. Here is my take on the basics you will need to get started and a few things that might help. ^^^Water hoses (the advice for a 10 and 25 sounds good), but I have a 35' and got it at Wally World. ^^^I don't use the toilet if I don't have to... cleaning the black tank is the nastiest part of camping^^^^ I have the Rhino sewer hose and with the extension in place (and I leave it in place) it is 35', total I think. It is a good hose. I also use the clear 45 degree elbow that I fasten to the trailer dump tube first. You can see how clear the waste is coming out, to know when flushing is done. ^^^You know to not open your black valve until you are ready to dump. Also, don't have a grey dump valve open the same time the black is open. I don't know how important it is, but I want to keep black out of the grey. I let the black tank fill up before dumping it... to about 2/3 and then dump it. You will notice the poorly placed dump valve locations... it is what it is. If you got the option, you have a black tank flush, this is handy for cleaning the black tank.... dump it completely then flush till 1/3 or more full... the dump again; repeat until the water runs fairly clear. You can go for several days before dumping the black if properly treated. Then dump the grey... closing the black valve. Then I close all valves, remove the sewer hose and using water to flush the sewer hose some more. I know people who don't use any chemicals in the black tank and don't have smells, but I like the stuff that smells nice.^^^ You have to have a place to store the sewer hose, I use a large plastic storage bin (Walmart); the Rhino compressess and stores easily. ^^^ Have latex gloves for handling sewer hoses and try not to contaminate any of your water hose parts. I handle the power cord and water hoses first! ^^^ Definitely have a pressure regulator for the water supply. ^^^ Definitely have a surge protector and fault protector! Power at CGs are not always the best. I use one from Progressive, that is much more than a surge protector. ^^^^ The power cord for you unit is 30 amp and comes with it. Be sure you have it before leaving the dealer. I always carry and extra 25' (or is it 30') 30 AMP RV cord and got it at, you guessed it, Wally World. I also carry 110v (Nema 15) adapter to 30 Amp as well as 50 amp adapter, but have never used the 50 ^^^You should be getting a deep cycle battery from the dealer and its a group 24 size, usually. You don't have break-away brakes without an on-board battery so insist on it. If you have the rack on front like mine, it is made to hold up to 2 group 24s in battery boxes on the rack, but the rack can also hold a generator and or more batteries. Two batteries is probably the way to go, but see how one works for you first. By the way, a deep cycle battery isn't about cold cranking amps (CCA), that's for cars and trucks. Deep cycle is about amp hour or AH... the more the better. But, don't buy more than you will need. I won't get into the debate between two 6 volt vs. two 12 volt, since either method works. One battery is all you have to have. The 29HFS has mounts on the generator rack on the tongue... always keep the battery in a plastic box bolted and strapped down. ^^^ If you are storing your trailer without shore power disconnect the battery (or batteries) since the CD detector will run it down. Some people take off the battery and keep it charged at home. I have my trailer powered all the time at home; this keeps the battery charged, but might over-charge it... and run it out of water. Check the water in the battery often. ^^^Also good advice from members on the WDH. I use a Reese Dual-Cam with 1200# bars. It is just one way to do it, but you will need the hitch adjusted to work properly and a anti-sway device. The tongue weight is at least (haven't weighed it) around 1200 - 1400 lbs empty. The Dual-Cam works great when adjusted properly... I get almost no sway when passed by large vehicles... you can feel a sway... but just keep driving straight and don't over-react to this motion. It is best to travel with about the same load so the WDH set up stays about the same. ^^^Make sure the dealer has the tires at the properly inflation... should be 65# cold. ^^^ Carry a lug wrench (or torque wrench is correct with 3/4 socket) and check wheel lugs at 50 miles... then about every 100 miles for a few times. I checked mine and they needed tightening up to about 400 miles and at 3000 miles I did it again just to be sure. If they are like mine the spec is 100 lb/ft of torque. Don't ever let anyone over-tighten a wheel with an air wrench ^^^I carry a small Honda generator so it can be place away from the camper and on the ground. I don't expect it to power the AC, so it works for me. You just have to turn on one larger draw appliance at a time. If I know I am staying at a CG with power I don't bring it. ^^^ Before leaving the dealer after making sure everything works and you know how to work it all., have them leave you enough water in the fresh tank for you to potty and have for washing... I usually carry around 20 gallons. If this is a new unit, the water in the fresh tank will smell like plastic for a while. I filled mine up twice now and can still smell a little, but I wouldn't drink it at first.^^^ remember to lower the TV antenna before leaving each time (you may or may not have a TV, but you might have to remove the TV from the mount before traveling or make a way to strap it... that's what I did. ^^^ the water heater can be run on AC, but if you have shore power, don't run on gas, but you might not know the switch for the water heater 110v power is at the water heater on the outside. The WH is the large panel on the door side...^^^ also lock doors and hatches before traveling and remember store you steps. ^^^ another good point is before bring your slide in OR out, make sure the cabinet door and drawers are closed first. Also, I try to be sure nothing is on the top of the slide. A larger stick or pine cone can tear a seal.^^^ I have Bal X-chocks and love them. Chock before unhitching and remember to remove chocks before driving off... this would hurt a tire!^^^ I take a dozen 2x8s cut into 12" lengths and a 12" block of 8x8 to put the tongue jack on^^^ Like members said, this is a long trailer... you have to swing wide and watch it. Having someone watching you back up and even pull through in tight places is a good idea. Especially challenging is finding gas stations that I can get into and out of. I try to fill up before a trip before hooking up and will pay more at truck stop for fuel and don't worry about getting into trouble at gas stations not designed for this kind of length. I want to get a wired camera for the back (wireless I don't like) and tire pressure monitors for the tires, but one thing at a time! Sorry for the length of this, but hope you get something out of it.. and read this in time for your first trip. Please be careful and fit some fun time in there somewhere! Wolf

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajean View Post
Thanks...Great comments. I did buy an equi I zer WD. After reading it seems like the best bet.
I still need to get a water hose and sewer hose. What is the most common lengths for the water or sewer hose. I think 20ft sewer and 50ft water.
Thanks
Amazon (Prime) is your RV FRIEND. Good prices, no tax, and for the Prime membership free shipping (and you can watch free movies at WIFI campgrounds )

RhinoFlex Sewer
Anderson Levelers
Progressive Power Manager
X-Chocks

1st purchases.

Do not mean to scare you but budget $1,000-$1,500 for RV "Stuff" NOT counting a generator (@$2,500 for a tandem)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #18

After looking at the last post from HSVBamaBob and checking out Anderson Leveler (he listed as having) I ordered the Anderson Rapid Jack, hoping it will work since there could be clearance issues... as well as Camco stablizer pads... and the Hoppy Levels... all from Amazon. I can leave my heavy box of 2x8s at home.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #19

One other thing I noticed and will correct about the new 29HFS is the tongue jack. The one it comes with doesn't have enough range and seems too light to handle the job. It gets a lot of use... or will... since to load a low slung motorcycle I might have to raise the tongue to the max while loading and unloading. Too bad the 29 doesn't have the dropped down tail like bigger toy haulers have.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #20

Thanks..especially wolf whistle. I picked it up today. Dang it is long. Getting use to driving in lots. I had a quick walk through, now I have more questions.
The battery disconnect does not seem to work. It is flimsy.....i added a battery and I thought I could turn it off at the disconnect, on the right side of the bed 29hfs. but it did not turn off the radio. What do I need to do if I plug in to ac verses operating on dc
Thanks
John

Tags