Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

On the 300x12, is the prewired 2nd AC in the bedroom ducted or not ducted?

I'm picking up my trailer on Friday and it does not have the second AC unit. I saw that it is prewired. I figured I may as well start looking around to see if I can find a used one or scratch and dent to throw in there. When I was speaking with the salesperson I asked if the second AC was ducted like the one in the living room, he said it was not.

I just took a look on the Forest River standard features on the Thunderbolt trailers and one of the standard features listed reads "Wired and Framed for 2nd ducted Air Conditioner".

I'm assuming the salesperson was mistaken but I wanted to ask you experts just to be certain, I kind of hope it isn't so I can keep all the cold goodness for myself while sleeping.

Thank you,
Z
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

I always wonder if the 2nd AC's are really needed?? Does a 300X12 really need 2?? I have no idea but I would think a 15K would be enough. From what I have read the second units are not ducted they just blow through the open vent on the bottom side. Im sure it depends on the model etc but in your case I would think it would just blow from the AC unit itself?
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #3

Summer time in southern Virginia and West Virginia and even nj temperatures the last couple year have been upper 90's with 75-100% humidity. I am out on black asphalt which can raise the on track temperature another 20-30 degrees wearing thick black leather from head to toe conducting a very strenuous activity of throwing a motorcycle all over the place. It is definitely very different from your typical Sunday ride. Plus much of that time you are standing still waiting and cooking.

I figure if I can find something at a reasonable price point, I am in. If it is too cold I will turn it down, lol
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The point of adding the second AC in the bedroom is that it's difficult to get sufficient cooling from the main unit due to the length of the ducted run and that the bedroom level is 3' higher than the rest of the camper in a 5W. The bedroom will be close to the same temp as the rest of the camper whether ducted or not.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Just Love to Camp

Well first let me tell you the second AC is needed in various and the beach. So much that we added a third in the garage!!!!

Anyway ours came with a second AC. It was ducted. It didn't really help much that way. So we taped it off with duck tape and closed off the vent. It works great keeping the master bedroom cool.

Our main AC keeps just the main cabin cool and the third is in the garage with a heat strip for heat and it cools the garage

Starting research now on putting a heat strip in master. If we can do this we can heat our whole camper on electric and save on gas

We also like to keep our house and camper at 68°f

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
XLR Production

The bedroom a/c on your 300 is not ducted.
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote