Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Onan Gen install

I have the xlr 27hfs with generator prep and will be installing a used Onan 4Ky microquiet I purchased. I've searched around and have seen that several people have done this as well.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm also curious on what others did for exhaust. My XLR does not have a hole underneath the generator compartment for connecting a pipe. I assume I just drill a hole where the exhaust will run out? Then just route the piping down and out the side?
Toy94x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #2

Onan Gen install

Tail pipe kit part number 55–1618
Exhaust tube kit part number 55–1617 this is for the 4000 owning generator ultraquiet hope this helps
54.99 and 22.99 is the price I see on my invoice
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy94x4 View Post
I have the xlr 27hfs with generator prep and will be installing a used Onan 4Ky microquiet I purchased. I've searched around and have seen that several people have done this as well.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm also curious on what others did for exhaust. My XLR does not have a hole underneath the generator compartment for connecting a pipe. I assume I just drill a hole where the exhaust will run out? Then just route the piping down and out the side?
A local muffler shop could bend you some pipe for less then you can buy it for .
they do sale a silencer muffler add on for onan also . mounts on the out side and is used with the stock muffler . Been looking for used ones but most want to much when you can buy new for 2850 shipped
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
XLR Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy94x4 View Post

The back platform in the generator compartment must be pulled out prior to installing your generator. That will create the opening for your intake as exhaust air and your engine exhaust pipe.
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The exhaust part # helped. And here is a pic of the board out for future reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427380908.317522.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	72236Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427380946.229374.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	72237

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Toy94x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
XLR Production

Check all the caulking in the Gen box to insure there are no sell voids. That keeps the exhaust gasses out.
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote