Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 02:42 AM   #1

Queen Happijac Bed 27HFS

New here to the forums, and new to a 2016 27HFS. I have done some looking into the weight rating of the queen bed in the garage. The HappiJac system is rated for 600lbs static, which seems fair. However, the rating FR gives the bed is only 300 pounds. Is this rating overly conservative or does FR just assume that we cannot divide by two if we have two beds back there? Has anyone made some legs or anything to support this bed a little better? I have searched the forums a little but I apologize if this has come up here before.

Thanks for the help!
mbreener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreener View Post
New here to the forums, and new to a 2016 27HFS. I have done some looking into the weight rating of the queen bed in the garage. The HappiJac system is rated for 600lbs static, which seems fair. However, the rating FR gives the bed is only 300 pounds. Is this rating overly conservative or does FR just assume that we cannot divide by two if we have two beds back there? Has anyone made some legs or anything to support this bed a little better? I have searched the forums a little but I apologize if this has come up here before.

Thanks for the help!
We have a 27 with the happijac bed as well, i feel it would max out at the 300 # recommended by Forrest river, the mechanical might be rated at the heavier number but the bed platform would never make it
Berjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

www.happijac.com

The manual shows 450# dynamic / moving and 600# static ... and HJ does CYA (CTA) to say these are for the mechanism only and that the manufacturer is responsible to load rate the complete strucure ... so FR only trusts their work up to 300#? ... doesn't surprise me... that said, I've had 300# (mol), and it seemed okay to me. Isn't it great that you by something with no information about such things and have to pry it out of FR kicking and screaming. Plus ask 10 people and get 11 answers. Hell of a way to run a business.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #4

Don't have actual numbers but in the raised position, I only have ~100lbs on it (chairs, sleeping bags, etc...). In the lowered position (with legs down...I only have the folding couch option, not the bed...), we have had a "couples" weighing ~350-400lb without any issues.

Just sharing my experience...
Old 08-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses! I agree that there is probably a fair amount of safety factor built in there for liability concerns. My dad laid on it the other day when he stopped by to check it out. He is 230ish.. and it seemed to flex the bed. Folding legs for the bed would be helpful. I'm thinking about making a frame to mount underneath to beef it up a little.
mbreener is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed