Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #21
DDC

Safety Recalls -- NHTSA

Contact them,
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #22

Sorry but it just doesn't work that way. You can change the yellow sticker on the lot but not at someone's home. That weight has been bought and paid for.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #23

Thanks for posting the label! I've done the calculations and this new weight rating will really affect me. I still haven't received the notice. Do we know if all the 29hfs are affected or is it just certain ones? I've been trying to find any information on this, but to no avail. Has anyone heard back from the warranty manager either?

Thanks!
TexGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #24

Just found this....

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...GP!-1963821379
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #25

TexGent, there is a sticker on the axels that tells the weight rating, go look and see if you have the 4400# axels. Then you will know for sure what your weight rating is.
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #26

Thanks Campingchick. My unit is still at the dealer but will be looking for that sticker once I get it back.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #27

I am dissapointed in this also. I was looking to replace the tires with something beefier, until I was crawling under the unit and saw it only has 4400 lb axles. I love to dry camp, and the loss of weight rating hurts me as well. You would think FR would have learned after the 27hfs axle fiasco. Then again, I feel dumb for not researching this better myself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Scooter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #28

I was looking around for some info on my 2015 29HFS and ran into this thread.

I got the same "safety bulletin" for the reducing in carrying capacity. I recalled remembering about 11k full loaded but wasn't positive. Thanks for the web archive link showing as such.

It really irks me whether or not I need the original advertised capacity. It feels like a bait and switch and not a "recall" sort of thing. I've owned the trailer for 6 weeks and purchased a trailer with different specs than what I received.

Subscribed to this thread in case more information is posted.
ChrisBurgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #29

I for one feel that I have been taken. The reduced weight rating is huge; I would not worry about a little bit. And, in my case it might still do the job, but one of the selling points on this unit 'was' its generous cargo capacity... but that was a lie. Had I known this, I would have told them to keep it. I feel stupid that of all the things I checked, I didn't even think about this. My stickers show 2724# cargo and 6991# delivery. The Ohio title (a whole 'other' story) shows 9774# GVW. I have 4400# axles. The sticker in the toy bay shows 2000# maximum. I wonder if that is even correct. So, its 1 bike and stuff or 2 bikes and no stuff for us. I will contact my 'dealer' Monday and ask what is being done about this. Their website still shows over 4000# cargo for a new 2015 29HFS in stock, just like it showed over 4K# for the one I bought. On the site the 'dealer' makes the statement that the manufacturer can change the specs without notice. I wish I noticed the reduced capacity before picking it up. Hyperlite shoppers beware, the dealers and factory has pulled a fast on me and others. I'll try to post a picture of the specs on this model.
Attached Files
File Type: docx 29hfs specs.docx (430.0 KB, 49 views)

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #30

Safety Bulletin

I also received this notice and have left several messages with the contact person on the letter. Still no response so I made a couple other calls. One to the dealer I purchased mine from and the other to another dealer close by me. Both told me they were aware of the letters and both also said they had replaced axles on a couple trailers. Apparently those owners complained and refused to change their stickers so Forest River agreed to change them out.
So Forest River has now set a precedent by changing them. I'm not giving in and WILL get mine changed.
STLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #31

As long as you are calm and level headed and purchased the unit with the understanding it had a 4k carrying capacity you should have little trouble getting the axles swapped. It took me a few phone calls to get a call back from the warranty number. She is swamped at this time and eventually returned a few of my calls. The key is to be calm, patient, and reasonable with all parties involved for best results.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter86 View Post
As long as you are calm and level headed and purchased the unit with the understanding it had a 4k carrying capacity you should have little trouble getting the axles swapped. It took me a few phone calls to get a call back from the warranty number. She is swamped at this time and eventually returned a few of my calls. The key is to be calm, patient, and reasonable with all parties involved for best results.
Hey Scooter, thanks for the useful information. It is rare that I have a vehicle with a warranty, so I am not well versed. To get FR to take care of this, all it should take is a call to the warranty number? Can you share the number you called. Tanks, Wolf

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #33

My dealer dealt with this for me initially. They wanted me to call Forest River, the number that is on the letter. Turns out I didn't need to as your dealer should be handling this part of it.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #34

Thanks for any and all replies on this, we bought out of state, but I'm going to pursue this with the dealer anyways. We specifically asked about the axels and were told they were the heavier ones. There is a dealer in town that sells FR, so I'm going to see if they will do warrenty work this winter. The mechanic is my neighbor down the road so I hope that helps.
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #35

Scooter how long did it take to get a call back? I've left 3 messages in about 2.5 weeks and got nothing back so far.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #36

About a week. I called every day and left a message early in the morning until I got a call back. I also included the dealer I was working with in my message. I was looking to be one of the first voice mails of the day, and also to sound pleasant and concise.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One thing remember is, that regardless of what the total cargo capacity is, the "toy" bay is only capable of handling so much weight. Since this is weight behind the axles, it reduces the pin weight, which is calculated and designed into a toy hauler. I hope you get your issues resolved.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #38

I am taking mine into tomorrow to have the axles changed out. I had to take it to an authorized service center that doesn't sell Forest River the Forest River dealers that sell new units wouldn't touch and told me to take it back where I bought it. There should be some kind of federal mandate just like an automobile when it comes to a safety issue and even warranty if it is a safety issue or they should not be allowed hot sell the units new.
I assure if one of these get lose due to a safety problem would cause more problems than a vehicle with a bad axle!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #39

I've left 5 messages for the warranty reps number on my letter but no response. Now her voicemail says she's on vacation until July 7th.
Unbelievable!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #40

Ok so finally got a response from warranty department. After several emails back and fourth, Forest River has agreed to replace my axles. However they want to do it at the service center at the factory. I refused to take the day off work and make the 130 mile trek there so they offered to come and get it and bring it back with none week.
I asked for the repair to be done at a Forest River local dealer ( not the one I bought it from ), and they refused this option. They actually told me the trailer is supposed to be repaired at the dealer I purchased it from per the warranty agreement. So I have a decision to make but I really don't want to do it because my XLR is my baby. I pamper this thing beyond what I should. I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.
Joe

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
safety