Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #1

Shock Absorbers vs Ride

I just completed an up grade with wet bolts and new shackles on my tandem axle.

I see shock absorbers kits are also available. My question are you glad you did the upgrade or are you disappointed and say its a waste of money.
Tim Coltrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #2

Picture Attached

Here is a picture of what I'm referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	269620  
Old 03-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Coltrain View Post

I see shock absorbers kits are also available. My question are you glad you did the upgrade or are you disappointed and say its a waste of money.

The pictures you posted appear to be the RoadMaster Comfort Ride shocks. I installed them on my 43ft fiver last year after upgrading the factory equalizer, shackles and bolts. The Road Armor equalizer, heavy duty shackles and wet bolts helped my ride when towing, but the Comfort Ride shocks made a bigger difference, in my opinion. They not only made towing it so much smoother, it also significantly reduced the amount of jolting and shock transferred to the camper and its contents. Have to believe it's helping keep my RV and components from failing or falling apart. For these reasons, I think it's worth every penny of this fairly expensive upgrade. Highly recommend this upgrade to any RV.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #4

Installation Considerations

Thought I'd impart some of my experiences installing these with you before you decide to purchase this upgrade kit. There're some things that they don't tell you, or show you in the instructions.

As far as the installation itself, the written instructions are good but highly recommend reviewing the YouTube videos from eTrailer that'll give you the best information. Also, go to the eTrailer website and search for the shock kit. There should be a link to another good installation video that's not on YouTube. Watch 'em all closely before you decide on putting them on your RV.

I encountered a couple issues during the installation you need to be prepared for. First, the factory installed my plumbing lines too close to drivers side frame on the RV without enough room for the top part of the shocks to fit. I cut out a four foot section of one of my two main sewer lines. I moved it with the help of standard plumbing sewer line elbows two to three feet away from the driver side frame. This gave me the needed space around the equalizers, where they mount to the frame. Pay close attention to that area, you may have other obstructions, such as propane lines, etc. that also need to be re-routed away.

The second major issue I had was with the RV frame where the upper part of the shocks mount. I have a typical I-beam frame, but the factory also welded to it a tubular steel frame piece where the equalizers are mounted to my rig. If you also have a tubular piece stacked to the bottom of your I-beam frame like me, you won't be able to mount the shock upper frame brackets with the self tapping screws they give you. You will need to have the brackets professionally welded to that tubular frame, like I did. If you call RoadMaster, they'll not give you advise on whether to weld the brackets on or not, but I can tell you it worked perfectly and is the only way you'll be able to install this kit on a tubular frame.

One other piece of advice is to purchase two extra long U-bolts kits from Amazon, or eTrailer (for a dual axle application). Don't make the mistake I did and order one kit. One kit only takes care of one pair of leaf springs. In order to install the Comfort Ride tie plates to your leaf springs, the U-bolts that came from the factory likely won't be long enough. You want at least a couple of inches of the bolt threads thru the tie plate to bolt on to the leaf springs.

Let me know if you've got any other questions concerning the kit or the installation.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:00 PM   #5

Shocks

Quote:

I installed shocks on my 2020 16fq single axel last May. I made my own install kit up using chev 1 ton truck front gas shocks. Big improvement, everything stays in place inside and wind sway is now minimal.I will be installing balanced 1 size oversize G.E. tires very soon.The effort to design / build and install the shock mounting kit on my 16fq was so worth it and cost less than $70. Cheers Rob
rjb16fq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:

Very nice! I have been considering this upgrade for a while now. I was curious how are the shock kits compared to say, the trailer sumosprings? Anyone on here have done both to be to compare the 2?
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Very nice! I have been considering this upgrade for a while now. I was curious how are the shock kits compared to say, the trailer sumosprings? Anyone on here have done both to be to compare the 2?

Although I was also thinking of installing these on my rig, the shocks have been doing what I want and didn't think I'd gain much more than what I already have on my fiver. I also installed a MorRyde Rubber Pin box, LCI Road Armor equalizers and the shocks to make towing this beast a smoother experience. So far so good and is doing what I was expecting it to do, but would also like to hear from anyone that's also installed Sumo Springs. Do the springs do anything more other than provide for a better ride?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:37 PM   #8

Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shock Absorbers for Tandem Axle Trailers

Item # RM-2460
Ok, I have order my parts for this new suspension upgrade to my camper. Thanks for all the feed back on this subject. Thanks again to the camper family brothers and sisters.

Your Friend in North Carolina

I ordered from etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...r/RM-2460.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Suspension Kit.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	269836  
Old 03-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Item # RM-2460
Ok, I have order my parts for this new suspension upgrade to my camper. Thanks for all the feed back on this subject. Thanks again to the camper family brothers and sisters.

Your Friend in North Carolina

I ordered from etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...r/RM-2460.html
Did you also need to order new U-bolts?
Old 03-09-2022, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post

Tim may not need them if the ones from the factory are long enough. However, from what I've gathered from the videos and reading of others that've installed these, they more than likely need to be replaced with longer ones. Below are the kits I installed on my rig last year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-09-2022, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
No Sir I did not. The kit didn't come with it. I assumed the ones I have will work being the camper is only 5 years old. I have 1/2" to 5/8" thread left on top of existing plates. Thoughts.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
No Sir I did not. The kit didn't come with it. I assumed the ones I have will work being the camper is only 5 years old. I have 1/2" to 5/8" thread left on top of existing plates. Thoughts.

Tim, download and take a look at the instructions provided by Road Master.
One of the items on the parts list (#12) is the Tie Plate which you'll place over the leaf springs stack that sits on your axles. It's a beefy plate that's at least a quarter inch thick that you'll add to what you've got to bolt down with the U-bolts. Once the Tie Plate is sitting on your leaf spring stack, you need to put the U-bolt plates on top of those, then bolt them down to the required torque specs.

Based on the dimensions you've listed above, you definitely won't have enough thread to bolt them on. You want at least an inch or two of thread showing above the nuts once you've bolted and torqued 'em down.

You can either buy two sets of longer bolt kits from eTrailer, or the ones I posted above from Amazon. Each kit will do one pair of leaf springs on your RV. I also highly recommend going up one diameter size on the U-bolts to the 9/16" versus 1/2" for added strength, especially since you've got a toy hauler. The Tie Plates provided by Comfort Master will accommodate either diameter U-bolt tho.

Before you buy longer U-bolts, be sure to check if you've got 7,000 or 8.000lb axles, which will have a label on them with that info. Also measure the diameter of your axles. I'll bet you've likely got 7,000lb axles with a 3 inch diameter. Check that and you'll be able to match up with the right U-bolt kits.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Tim, download and take a look at the instructions provided by Road Master.
One of the items on the parts list (#12) is the Tie Plate which you'll place over the leaf springs stack that sits on your axles. It's a beefy plate that's at least a quarter inch thick that you'll add to what you've got to bolt down with the U-bolts. Once the Tie Plate is sitting on your leaf spring stack, you need to put the U-bolt plates on top of those, then bolt them down to the required torque specs.

Based on the dimensions you've listed above, you definitely won't have enough thread to bolt them on. You want at least an inch or two of thread showing above the nuts once you've bolted and torqued 'em down.

You can either buy two sets of longer bolt kits from eTrailer, or the ones I posted above from Amazon. Each kit will do one pair of leaf springs on your RV. I also highly recommend going up one diameter size on the U-bolts to the 9/16" versus 1/2" for added strength, especially since you've got a toy hauler. The Tie Plates provided by Comfort Master will accommodate either diameter U-bolt tho.

Before you buy longer U-bolts, be sure to check if you've got 7,000 or 8.000lb axles, which will have a label on them with that info. Also measure the diameter of your axles. I'll bet you've likely got 7,000lb axles with a 3 inch diameter. Check that and you'll be able to match up with the right U-bolt kits.
Thank You, I have taken advise from all and ordered from etrailer yesterday. I needed exactly what you said. I would have NOT had enough length. You would think they would know this when putting packages together to at least ask that question or create as a option if needed to the user. I also found that it is recommended that once you removed your U bolts the torgue line on the bolt is lost because of the stretching of threads and is recommended to replace. I have too much money tied up to second guess. I'll follow the lead of the team. Thanks again for your and others help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UBolt etrailer .jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	269861  
Old 03-10-2022, 07:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank You, I have taken advise from all and ordered from etrailer yesterday. I needed exactly what you said. I would have NOT had enough length. You would think they would know this when putting packages together to at least ask that question or create as a option if needed to the user. I also found that it is recommended that once you removed your U bolts the torgue line on the bolt is lost because of the stretching of threads and is recommended to replace. I have too much money tied up to second guess. I'll follow the lead of the team. Thanks again for your and others help.

Yeah, you'd think they'd include that in the instructions and the only way I found out is thru the online videos and from my experience installing 'em. But you're correct, you're spending a lot of money on this upgrade and you want to do it right. And, the way I looked at it was its better to have the longer U-bolts and need 'em than to need 'em and not have 'em. You can always return 'em.

Good luck and hope the install and upgrade works out great for you.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #15

I installed the Moryde shocks and like them. While I was at it, I upgraded the leaf springs to 6 leaf and installed Road Armor equalizers and heavy duty shackles with wet bolts. Also installed a FlexAir pin box. I haven't ridden in the 5er going down the road, but I suspect it rides better than my truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4762.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	269863  
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I installed the Moryde shocks and like them. While I was at it, I upgraded the leaf springs to 6 leaf and installed Road Armor equalizers and heavy duty shackles with wet bolts. Also installed a FlexAir pin box. I haven't ridden in the 5er going down the road, but I suspect it rides better than my truck.

You installed the Air1 or the independent suspension upgrade?