Old 10-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
Full-time 5'er

Sound System

A warning to those finding the sound through the SONY sound bar and sub woofer to be muffled. In my XLR 375 AMP Thunderbolt, behind the plastic brick fiteplace facade, I found a small sub woofer connected to the sound bar. The sub woofer enclosure has a passive radiator, which looks like a speaker. This box must be mounted so air can pass freely and unrestricted through the ports and around the speaker.

In my case, after pulling out the fireplace and facade, I found the box to be mounted flush against the floor with the woofer face down. This prevented proper air flow, thus muffled the sound.

I remounted the sub woofer a few inches above the floor and replaced the facade. The sound improved greatly. This was clearly a case of poor fit-and-finish by workers who had no idea what they are doing. I've found this to be the case in other areas on my rig.

2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

sound quality is not as critical as getting the speaker box in the hole provided and covered up keeping the line moving.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
sound quality is not as critical as getting the speaker box in the hole provided and covered up keeping the line moving.
There is no hole provided. The only thing covering the sub is the brick facade.Click image for larger version

Name:	1016181428.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	189381
Old 10-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

OK, hole, facade, cabinet, wall, it doesn't matter the hole comment was meant to convey its more important to the Mfg to keep the line moving then taking the time to provide as you say proper air flow.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
OK, hole, facade, cabinet, wall, it doesn't matter the hole comment was meant to convey its more important to the Mfg to keep the line moving then taking the time to provide as you say proper air flow.
Ok. I agree. I've heard workers are paid by number of units built. Not hours worked. I've had numerous maintenance issues in my XLR 375 AMP. I've learned the units are mostly assembled with staples, hose clamps, wire ties, and self tapping screws. Not much real wood. A lot of simulated paper grain on top of particle board.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Site Team

(removing my site team hat, putting on my camper hat)

Sorry you had problems with your speaker placement. I totally agree it was silly to place it "face down??". Wow.

I am not going to pile on to the manufacturer. I don't know if your brand of trailer is assembled by piece workers or not. Do you know for sure? Are you just guessing.... There is nothing wrong with piece work if done correctly! I worked for almost 40 years in heavy industry and many of the workers were piece workers.
EDIT: Typically- piece workers are paid a base rate + a bonus for the # of pieces they produce. The bonus is often less than 10% of the hourly rate.

I had a few issues with my (now 4 year old) rig. I had a minor water leak under the shower. I found it because I took the time to look. I had a few trim pieces come loose because they had been applied using headless wire brads and the pneumatic nail gun was set slightly too high. I either glued them back in place or used 3M automotive trim tape. We had a few other issues but all minor.
Here we are 4 years later. At least 20,000 miles on the trailer. 75 days on the road just this year.
We love our trailer and feel it was a good mix of lightweight materials and reasonably sturdy construction.

Don't let a few minor issues -which you can fix or your dealer can fix - keep your from loving your camper and having fun!!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-35
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
(removing my site team hat, putting on my camper hat)

Sorry you had problems with your speaker placement. I totally agree it was silly to place it "face down??". Wow.

I am not going to pile on to the manufacturer. I don't know if your brand of trailer is assembled by piece workers or not. Do you know for sure? Are you just guessing.... There is nothing wrong with piece work if done correctly! I worked for almost 40 years in heavy industry and many of the workers were piece workers.
EDIT: Typically- piece workers are paid a base rate + a bonus for the # of pieces they produce. The bonus is often less than 10% of the hourly rate.

I had a few issues with my (now 4 year old) rig. I had a minor water leak under the shower. I found it because I took the time to look. I had a few trim pieces come loose because they had been applied using headless wire brads and the pneumatic nail gun was set slightly too high. I either glued them back in place or used 3M automotive trim tape. We had a few other issues but all minor.
Here we are 4 years later. At least 20,000 miles on the trailer. 75 days on the road just this year.
We love our trailer and feel it was a good mix of lightweight materials and reasonably sturdy construction.

Don't let a few minor issues -which you can fix or your dealer can fix - keep your from loving your camper and having fun!!
Good points. We have nearly 20 K miles on our Forest River XLR375 AMP since we started our 2-year full time road trip 15 months ago. I'm on my 3rd roll of 3M double stick foam tape, a 2nd bottle of Gorilla glue. Every time I've had to reapply a fallen trim piece, I pulled all the headless brads and replaced with screws.
We lived in the unit for a year before we hit the road. This was good fotune since we had several warranty issues, including faulty window shades, a failed auto transfer switch, cook top fire, and shower plumbing leak.
Our kitchen slide-out hit the fixed island when popped in. I had to replace the 1/2 inch molding with 1/4 inch and move all drawer pulls to prevent further damage.
I moved the Dyson vac which was mounted in master BR closet, totally inconvenient. The full bath room door was mounted such that entry could only be made from living room. I reversed the hinges to other side so entry can be made from bedroom. Two of my four dump valves are stuck open. Being full time RV'ers, we know that we're using the rig more intensely than it was built for. On the good side, Plenty of room in garage, unit holds heat well in winter, closet and storage space is adequate, and the 16,000 pound rig pulls well behind my F350.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1023181103_HDR.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	191125