Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

Storing XLR fifth wheel

Which is better when storing for the winter? Auto leveling with the levelers down or as is when disconnecting from truck?
mdrifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd just use your landing stabilizers only.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #3

Store it leveled with the 6 legs down. This helps fight metal fatigue in the frame and takes some weight off the springs that will sag over time.
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #4

I store mine with all six legs down and leveled. I'm glad I did, we recently had sever rain in Texas and the storage facility I keep the RV at had some severe washout. The base under the RV is dirt with rock mixed but not very well compressed. One unit with just the front legs down was on its belly because of the washout. Mine was fine, the wheels had some washout around them but the unit was stable with all six legs down.

I have since had a discussion with the property manager about proper drainage.

Its one of the few covered storage facilities in the area, so I like it, I just wish they would pave the parking area's.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

Not on a xlr but we had a few trailers with warped/cracked flooring as they left all there Stabilizers down and when winter came the ground froze and heeved some pushing up on the stabilzers and twisting the frame and putting stress on the floor. If your not in climates like this then go ahead and level.
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
Not on a xlr but we had a few trailers with warped/cracked flooring as they left all there Stabilizers down and when winter came the ground froze and heeved some pushing up on the stabilzers and twisting the frame and putting stress on the floor. If your not in climates like this then go ahead and level.
Very good point thanks
Old 11-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

That is a good point indeed. Never heard of it happening before now but it does make sense. I'm in a cold winter climate but mine sits on a 6" thick concrete pad with mesh and 12" of hardpack underneath. She's not moving...LOL.
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #8

Great points. I was sure I would get lots of advise but the stories are more interesting. Never thought about erosion or freezing. I leveled it today ready for winter.
mdrifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

we live in eastern canada - 40 sometimes and deep deep frost.
last year the frost was to be 6 to 7 feet deep depending on location.
I have only used the tires on 6 foot by 10 inch by 2 inch pressure treated planks and the front jack.
This winter we have a 5th wheel and the landing gear is on 2 blocks of laminate beams each.

the drop off out the back side of the trailer is such that I would not get the jacks to
ground.

DW asked if I should use the 3 legged stand thingy...

My reply
No because I can't apply the pin lock (we've had several 5th wheel and tag alongs stolen locally this year that have not been locked.)

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel, xlr