Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 05:53 PM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
I believe the Zamp has a reverse polarity to the other units out there. Its there way to have a proprietary system that only uses there product. this can be fixed with a little wiring change I believe.
You are correct. Someone mentioned you could reverse the wires on the trailer to use other systems. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #22

Sweet Solar setup deal $129 Harborfreight.

Kula I haven't tried it yet first trial will be on the August 21st for 2 weeks I have 4 12v deep cycle so will see - No I don't expect this system to fully charge all 4 if drained 100% - in 1 day ---but w 4 12v deep cycles and solar should have no problem dry camper for a couple weeks plus the builtin loud generator if I have too

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #23

Again, I have the Renogy solar 100 watt suitcase and the best I have gotten is 5.8 amps with the batteries disconnected. So, no load discharging. If I re-connect the batteries, I get between 4.9-5.1 amps recharging the house batteries with constant panel realignment thru out the day. That is enough to recharge my 2 group 24 batteries. Total discharging overnight is between 15-32 amps.
The HF is less than half of what I have and you also may have more amp draw than I do. I don't see how you can expect to recharge more than 2 amps per hour or maybe 15 amps per day.
Remember, your fridge, water pump, water heater, furnace thermostat, fans and propane detector all will be drawing off the total amount of recharge.
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #24

I'll show my stupidity, but I thought two 150 watt panels were a minimum with a third being ideal. How many panels can you get on the roof, PH? Enough to total somewhere around 400 watts? Then, if mounted to the roof, it seems to me it would be a challenge to keep them properly oriented. Not sure how this is practical, since I wouldn't want to try to do this manually.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I'll show my stupidity, but I thought two 150 watt panels were a minimum with a third being ideal. How many panels can you get on the roof, PH? Enough to total somewhere around 400 watts? Then, if mounted to the roof, it seems to me it would be a challenge to keep them properly oriented. Not sure how this is practical, since I wouldn't want to try to do this manually.
It's all about what your personal power use habits are. If you do an evaluation of how much usage you do in amp hours per day, use a 5 hour per day solar output to determine how many amp hours a system will produce. This will get you in the neighborhood of how many panels you need. I have seen as many as 6 panels on a roof (depends on available roof area compared to panel size). I have 2 panels 150 watts each, all lights are now LED DW watches television several hours a day. We don't get out much for cold weather camping so we don't run the heater much at all. I have a 6500 watt Onan generator for backup and to run the AC on hot days. So as I said above it all about your situation. I have the HF 45 watt solar kit mentioned in above posts I bought when I got my first TT 4 years ago and was not satisfied with it's output it is now out back in the shed.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #26

We bought the HF panels in early July at the store, with coupon, for $129. Not members. We used it for 2 weeks in the Adirondacks, with many cloudy days. Our power needs are quite low - led lights, phone charging, carbon monoxide detector. Battery was topped off every day by noon, sometimes earlier. The controller was not all that, and we will probably get a better one before going out again, but for the price, and size of the unit, we are very happy with it.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #27

We run two Group 24 batteries, (pretty normal) with one more wired in as a back up with a cut out switch so I have it in reserve. Two 100 watt panels flat on the roof and our batteries are always charged. Pn our roof we could probably put two more and still have room to walk around it. We run LED lights generously, a 19" 12 volt cheapy TV/DVD player a few hours a day and a 200 watt inverter to power the Direct TV box for most of those hours. We turn on the 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter a couple hours a day to charge sensitive electronics like my lap top, the occasional few minutes a day of Microwave and for DW to shampoo at least every other day and use her hair dryer. 200 watts is fine, but still I will add one or two more panels before any really long term road trips after retirement. I will also try to fit two big golf cart batteries by then. One of our traveling partners uses just a single 100 watt panel on the ground and moves it to follow direct sunlight. They keep two golf cart batteries full and use about the same usage as us. WE just like ours mounted on the roof and out of the way.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #28

Sweet Solar setup deal $129 Harborfreight.

I've had solar on all of my RVs for over 15 years now - and I know their are way better solar panels out there...... My last system was over a grand - prices have come way down.......

And like I said for 129$ I considered them disposable and don't plan to mount these to my roof - will use them in their stand mode - I will put the best on the roof when time permits - I have very limited time - I still work for a living....... but for $129 and very good reviews from my friends that 100% rely on HF solar system for down in baja and have had no issues - should be fine - all I plan to run off battery is LED lighting - direct tv - 2 TV and charging iPad phone computer - water pump - possibly fridge but not likely if AC is needed the generator will be on -----

So normally 1 12deep cycle will handle what I run in 24hours but I have 4 group 29 deep cycles - so I should be covered and keep other campers happy around me -

Everybody needs to calculate their daily amp usage to see what fits their solar needs - and what their budget is - the HF system is a great starter or intro into solar charging system - at just $129

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar