Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #21

Update: I took a long trip with my toyhauler, New York, Maine, Nova Scotia, Vermont, Arkansas, and did not have to work on the trailer any! That is a first.

However, I have noticed that I am having trouble keeping the seams around the overhang sealed. My frame seems to be flexing.

I contacted Forest River who in turn conferred with Lippert. Lippert sent me a worksheet to use to measure the distance between the pin box and the I-beams, loaded and unloaded. My measurements (unequal, too much) indicate that something is wrong. Lippert, Forest River, and I are splitting the cost of the dealer inspection. For now, I have the seams sealed with white duct tape (62 mph tape ). My appointment at the dealer is OCT 26.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #22

Three Years with A Thunderbolt

Those seams should not support any stress. Without a doubt there is steel failure on the other side supporting the pin. Lippert should pay for both inspection and repair.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #23

I have the same thing in mine. This isn't severe frame flexing. All 5th wheels with that much weight will have a degree of flexing. That corner trim is actually held in by screws underneath, behind the center rubber trim. If you remove the trim and replace the the screws with longer screws, you will see that the trim will pull closer up the vertical wall and close that gap. I confirmed this with a few other members in here. Be sure to reseal once you repair.
Nguyenbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyenbio View Post
I have the same thing in mine. This isn't severe frame flexing. All 5th wheels with that much weight will have a degree of flexing. That corner trim is actually held in by screws underneath, behind the center rubber trim. If you remove the trim and replace the the screws with longer screws, you will see that the trim will pull closer up the vertical wall and close that gap. I confirmed this with a few other members in here. Be sure to reseal once you repair.
That is a reassuring message. Did you ever measure how much your trailer flexed using Lipperts Hitched vs unhitched method?

Has anybody else checked the flex in their trailer?
Old 11-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #25

My dealer measured my trailer flex, loaded vs. unloaded, at 1/4". My dealer says this is normal. The overhang trim was resealed using Sikaflex. The seams looked good after my 50 mile trip home. Fingers are crossed