Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
RFK

Trying to start the generator for the first time

I'm having trouble getting the generator started for the first time. Today we took our 2013 XLR 27HFS out to the gas station, filled up the tank and headed back home to get the final touches done before our first trip in a couple of weeks. Figured I give the generator a bit of a run. After several attempts with the start button, nothing. The switch on the generator itself has both a Start and Off / Prime Button. I figured with it's first tank of gas priming would do the trick. According to the book, holding down the button for 30 seconds will prime it. But, holding the button only results in an electronic click, no expected primer noise. And after several attempts of Primer for 30 seconds and 3 or 4 start attempts here I am. Is this a quick fix, or should I start hunting down my closest Cummins / Onan dealer ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
:iwo
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
I'm having trouble getting the generator started for the first time. Today we took our 2013 XLR 27HFS out to the gas station, filled up the tank and headed back home to get the final touches done before our first trip in a couple of weeks. Figured I give the generator a bit of a run. After several attempts with the start button, nothing. The switch on the generator itself has both a Start and Off / Prime Button. I figured with it's first tank of gas priming would do the trick. According to the book, holding down the button for 30 seconds will prime it. But, holding the button only results in an electronic click, no expected primer noise. And after several attempts of Primer for 30 seconds and 3 or 4 start attempts here I am. Is this a quick fix, or should I start hunting down my closest Cummins / Onan dealer ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The fixed Onan M/H gensets call for holding prime till switch lights, then hold to start maybe 10-15 secs. If unsuccessful prime again same way and attempt start. Prime is about 15 seconds. Mine always starts on 1st or second attempt. Point is always reprime with each start attempt. You should hear a soft whirr when priming from fuel pump. Also make sure there are no valves between your fuel supply and gen set. Also sounds like you have low battery or dirty connections between batt and gen. The click is the solenoid or 12 volt switch latching the power to the starter. If battery is too weak to start that's what will happen, energy enough to close start solenoid but not enough to spin starter.

Not sure if starter is turning, should be obvious.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #3

When I got my RV, the air intake flapper valve (don't know technical name) on the carb was stuck in the open position. The Gen would turn over and crank endlessly without starting. I took the breather cover off and saw the flapper was full open. After wiggling it, it moved freely again. Since then, I have never had a problem starting the Gen.

Just like a car -- needs the correct amount of air, fuel, & ignition. If you are only hearing a click and the starter motor isn't even turning, I'd suspect a poor electrical connection to the battery.
Good luck!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
RFK

Thanks VinceU, This is a brand new unit and never started before. I don't see any inline fuel shut offs, but the tank is about 20 feet away from the generator. I was expecting to hear some / any noise of a primer motor. The soft whirr sound you describe is what I believe my problem is. I hear nothing when I push & hold the primer switch. The light comes on and quick relay click is all I get despite holding the button in. Now that I know I'm supposed to hear something when the primer is pushed, I'm guessing I'm not getting any fuel to the generator because the primer isn't working. Starting to narrow this down a bit. Thanks for your help !
Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
10x

Sounds like the fuel line is empty, keep priming it. You may want to shoot a little starting fluid in the air cleaner to get her going. Not alot, just a shot.
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

I agree with 10X we gave this advice a month ago with the same can't start problem. The shots of start fluid will ease the load on the starter by causing the engine to run in short bursts. I just brought my Onan home (with the M/H) and started it on the local control. The whirr is very soft and the click happens quick, sounds like you're probably ok 20' of line is forever for a small pump to move air, designed for liquid. If you can shoot into the carburetor with the air filter temp removed, it will speed it up. Use short bursts like 10X suggests, won't take much. BTW, mine last started 3 weeks ago, took 2 primes and 2 starts!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
RFK

Thanks for the advice so far, tried the starting fluid, short bursts get the generator running and if I time it correctly can actually keep it running for a bit. But without starting fluid it won't run. I thought this would draw enough fuel from the tank to keep it going. I still get no noise from anything relating to a primer motor even with sticking my ear as close as I can,,, nice and quiet. Holding the primer button for 30 seconds, the only noise is the quick relay click (say that 10 times fast) then silience... I'm guessing without the "whirr" noise somethings up with the primer. This is my first experience with a primer on a small engine, everything thus far has been gravity feed. Being new, I can't confirm it was connected correctly or wired right but would take for granted it was, they must do a hundered of these a week at Forest River. I'll keep looking to see if something seems out of place or unhooked. Any suggestions ? Thanks again,
Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Being new, I can't confirm it was connected correctly or wired right but would take for granted it was, they must do a hundered of these a week at Forest River. I'll keep looking to see if something seems out of place or unhooked. Any suggestions ? Thanks again,

Mabey it was the installers first day on the job

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

I think that clicking sound is a dead give away that your not getting enough power to the starter. Like a car that just clicks when you try to start it with a dead battery.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #10

Is there 2 fuel tanks on your toy hauler. Any chance you only have fuel in the one for the fuel station, and it is not for the generator. There should be a lift pump, or primary fuel pump for the generator, do you hear it running.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
RFK

Thanks, just one fuel tank. Based on the prior responses I should be hearing a low pitch whirring sound from the primer when I hold the rocker switch for 30 seconds. At this point I'd like to see if everything is connected right but don't have any info on primer system. I know there is a full gas tank and the battery is fully charged. The starter spins quickly and I can keep it going with starting fluid. Something is causing no fuel to flow to the carb. I really appreciate the input
Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, just one fuel tank. Based on the prior responses I should be hearing a low pitch whirring sound from the primer when I hold the rocker switch for 30 seconds. At this point I'd like to see if everything is connected right but don't have any info on primer system. I know there is a full gas tank and the battery is fully charged. The starter spins quickly and I can keep it going with starting fluid. Something is causing no fuel to flow to the carb. I really appreciate the input
Carb float might be stuck. Keeping the needle valve closed not letting fuel into the bowl.
uncle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #13

Quote:
That set up is still under warranty therefore I suggest you involve the dealer at this point. It might be a bad priming pump (Onan) but then it may be a bad install, improper suction line routing, too much suction for the pump fitted etc. You've proven the gen is fine, it operates on direct injection. If you fool with too much it may void what you have.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
RFK

Thanks VinceU, good advice, I will reach out to them in the morning. You're right, if I mess with it to much I may own it. I appreciate all the information. I'll post the outcome once I have it.

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
10x

Sounds like the fuel pump is not working, maybe check to see if the pump has a fuse.
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
XLR Production

I would say the pump is bad. Onan had an issue with them and has replaced A LOT of them. If you have plenty of battery power and you do not here the primer it's the pump.
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
RFK

So far nothing, but after working with another XLR owner with a similar issue I called the dealer who is working on getting a local rep to come out. I guess FR had an install problem with kinked fuel lines and a gas tank that is to high to allow filling without a big mess. Sounds like they plan to drop the tank two inches and take the generator out to fix the line. They must of had someone over tired on the line that day. I'm hoping that does the trick. Thanks again
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Anacortesians

The typical Onan fuel pump is a diaphragm type, so the clicking is the pump running. On my '02, before I started having problems, the prime switch caused the pump to click quickly then slow down and stop, indicating that the carb float-bowl had filled. The generator would then start readily.

Now, the prime doesn't stop and I get a very rich start attempt and then it runs for a couple of seconds and shuts down. I think the float isn't floating any more. Still working on the problem!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #19

Wink

I had trouble starting mine on our 2680 the first time but determined I had to adjust the altitude level on the front of the gen...we are at 6500 ft and it was set for sea level. It worked ok at the dealer in Des Moine though but do not think they are that high up in the sky.

Works first time every time now..knock on wood.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #20
RFK

Well, to add more to the issue, there is no water making it to the pump from the tank. The city water hook up works fine, but nothing at all from the onboard system. I'm beginning to think maybe Forest River forgot to hook up the connections. We'll see what the dealer finds. I may just take down the liner and have a quick look to see what's going on.