Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #1

Tying down motorcycle

My buddy and I loaded up his Ultra Classic last night. This is how we tied it down. We'd like to secure the back a little better and thought about taking a strap from one D ring through the wheel & to the other D ring. Mainly to keep it from sliding forward in the event of a sudden braking event. We have the frame pulled down onto a block of wood to keep the back end from wanting to slide out.
Any other suggestions or ideas?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427821187052.jpg
Views:	1455
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	72623  
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #2

Here is a thread I have used in the past when I need to trailer my bike (for tying down the bike...).
Trailering your bike

I also have picked up a wheel chock for my new 29HFS (coming at the end of April...) that I will be using.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ock-77132.html

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #3

Thanks Steve. Yeah, hidden is the same wheel chock. Its there, just hidden by the box of cardboard for fire strarter.
Being a bagger, makes it a little tough to get good tie down spots.
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

When I trailered my bike, I made sure I compressed the front suspension pretty far. My boss did not do this once and he hit a pretty good bump and one of the straps came loose and damaged his bike. Of course this is just my opinion and how I did it.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
When I trailered my bike, I made sure I compressed the front suspension pretty far. My boss did not do this once and he hit a pretty good bump and one of the straps came loose and damaged his bike. Of course this is just my opinion and how I did it.

over compressing the suspension on the bike is not good . there are easy ways to hook straps so they don't come off , zip ties, bungee cords , straps with hook locks , etc . The biggest problem is having the rear of the bike slide out . simple fix with a couple 2x4 about 12" long on each side of the rear wheel
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #6

I wrap the strap around rear tire before I hook to each side. When I tighten it squeezes tire and back never moves
lonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Site Team

When I towed my bikes in a bike trailer ( not toy hauler) I added an inexpensive camera inside the trailer so I could keep tabs on it while driving. If I hit a large bump or sharp turn, I could tell if bike moved and needed to be re-secured. Beats regular stops to check on it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #8

What we found works best for our heavier bikes is to fasten to the bike low and pull it into the chock. I use 4 good quality straps - one at each corner. In the back, I go almost vertical down - you are just trying to keep the bike from "hopping".

One thing that made a big difference for us was having a mounting plate added for the condor chocks we use. It gives you a point of resistence to pull against on the front of the bike.

In the early days, I was pulling down on the top of the fork. It is very easy to blow a fork seal that way! I did both sides in one trip!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #9

I went thousands of miles with a Baxley chock and a strap on each side of the tail so it wouldn't move left or right. No fuss or muss.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

Tying down motorcycle

Just saw this nifty device at bike week. Ordered and installed a week later . B&M Biker Bars. Works very well with no straps needed.
Name:   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427850142.628757.jpg
Views: 2315
Size:  18.9 KB

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427850161.833445.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	72671Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427850186.608084.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	72672
Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

Dennis Kirk has a series of videos that shows what I consider the best way. Most people overdo it. I use a Condor and don't have it fastened to the floor. Straps near the floor do little. I dont use ratchet straps, nor do I compress the forks more tgan half way. I do secure the hooks so they won't slip off.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #12

I just wanted to add my experience in hauling a 750 lb bike about 8,000 miles in a toy hauler.

You will eventually hit a bump big enough to partially or totally dislodge the bike no matter how tight you crank the straps. Of course, tightening the straps that tight isn't good for the bike either! After the first time my bike came partially loose, I started using these screw on clamps and never had a problem again. In fact, I didn't have to over-tighten the tie downs either. I thread this clamp through the round steel ring of the strap (see arrow) and through the floor tie-down loop. Walla -- a strap can no longer come off the tie-down loop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	72693  
Attached Images

danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #13

I got the Bolt it on system for mine. Haven't used it yet but it seemed like a good option since I did not want to bolt anything to the floor.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
I just wanted to add my experience in hauling a 750 lb bike about 8,000 miles in a toy hauler.

You will eventually hit a bump big enough to partially or totally dislodge the bike no matter how tight you crank the straps. Of course, tightening the straps that tight isn't good for the bike either! After the first time my bike came partially loose, I started using these screw on clamps and never had a problem again. In fact, I didn't have to over-tighten the tie downs either. I thread this clamp through the round steel ring of the strap (see arrow) and through the floor tie-down loop. Walla -- a strap can no longer come off the tie-down loop.
Excellent idea and tip Danno.

I run my straps very loose (compared to some), but know the hooks, without some kind of assistance will unhook on a big enough bump. I have used my method for many years on every bike I have hauled for many years; from small to large without incident, in probably a dozens trailers or trucks. All the straps are designed to do it to keep the bike vertical; the bike's suspension if allowed to move, keeps her planted and keeps tires from leaving the "ground"; if she does bottom out, it handles it just like when you are riding; no harm no foul.

To keep hooks from coming off, I rely on using the bitter end (the excess) of the straps to prevent hooks from coming off, but I am going to look into using these "quick links" or "removable links" on my straps.

On my latest setup I hit a big enough whoopdee to cause the axle to hit the frame (whole other story), so I know it works. However, until I ran a strap side to side and around the tire THREE (3) times, the back tire moved sideways; sometimes none at all, but one time a lot; which made getting her out of the Condor a royal PITA. Thats one strap, three times around the tire.

I know the side to side strap should not be pulling back on the bike, but it does a little; to pull it forward I would need to add 2 more tie points, which I probably won't do.

Thanks for the tip.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #15

Bagger tie down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBikers View Post
Thanks Steve. Yeah, hidden is the same wheel chock. Its there, just hidden by the box of cardboard for fire strarter.
Being a bagger, makes it a little tough to get good tie down spots.
Harley sells chrome tie down braces that go on the front forks. You have to be careful putting the straps on the handle bars or light bar. They can be damaged if you hit some big bumps. Bolt-it-On makes a great product for securing the front tire. For the back, take a couple of ratchet straps and loop them around the wheel and tie off on the floor tie downs. Works great and the bike won't move. Seriously look into the front braces. They could saw you from pulling you're handle bars down.
msrafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #16

Tying down motorcycle

Before the a Biker Bars, to keep the rear from bouncing and moving side to side, I use a strip of Etrack. The two cleats and short bungee wrapped around the wheel keeps it from going anywhere. Cleats and bungee not shown in this pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428001884.802936.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	72850
Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #17

I couldn't think of the handlebar strap I use, its Canyon Dancer. It slips over both grips and has loops to attach straps to. The leverage and control the straps have way up and at the end of the bars, is incredible; you simply don't have to strap down too tightly. The straps are only there to keep the bike upright and pulled forward. I do strap the back since the backend does move sideways. IMO, any bump capable of bending my bars would probably damage to the floor mounted setup as well. Can you imagine the stress load placed on the Biker Bar; mounted below the frame and with 1000# sitting that high above it, hanking and pulling. You better darn sure have it bolted down well. The biker bar will not work on all bikes, either. Of course, neither will Canyon Dancer. Ask 20 people and get 20 answers how to tie down a bike. Only things more controversial is brand or tires, brand of bike, brand truck, religion and politics. But, not necessarily in that order.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #18

I will say, you cannot use velcro. ....
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #19

Krawler and I have done it the same way for a while now with good results. I am digging the Biker Bar and will be springing for one soon...😈
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #20
Sunseeker 2500TS

Ouch

Can't really tell whats holding the front tire but those straps will rub the paint off of the front pods. The best solution is always one of the simpler ones described by several people here. I have the chrome tie down brackets the Harley sells, $59.99, 93500011 or 06 depending on year. Best solution ever, it gets the straps away from painted bits and gives a secure tie down location. All other locations (handle bars, crash bars (never) and front axles) all have their short comings or destroy the motorcycle. Lock the front tire in a good wheel chock and strap through a Harley tie down bracket, if the chock is good you don't need to crank that hard. Tens of thousands of miles, no trouble. With the rear d-rings available just put one ratchet strap through the tire and cross it over to the d-rings. With the rubber floor and tire the rear won't move. Check the set up at every stop. Things loosen up.
rocrider50 is offline   Reply With Quote