Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #21

Like everyone else said, 2500HD, preferably with a diesel. I am extremely happy with my 2015 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax engine. My TT is about 5000 lbs when loaded and I feel very safe pulling with that truck.

If your tow vehicle will only be used for pulling the trailer than go for a dually if it is in your budget. Otherwise it is overkill if it will mainly be used for commuting.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #22

either 2500 or 3500 with diesel. If you are new to this your current RV will not be your last and you will want the heavier TV
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #23

Diesel gets way better mileage than a gasser, both loaded and unloaded new models are quite and Oil changes are every 15,000 miles, cost per mile on maintence if you change oil your self is competitive with gasser, most rv's on the road are pulled overweight and most people thinks that because they haven't killed anybody and because they made it home from a trip, they are fine, I wasted so much time and money trying to justify pulling overweight - until a friend at church with a ford excursion was blown off the road by a big truck - weight was well in limits of the truck, but a 30 foot long camper needs a big enough rig to resist air mass as much as possible. Everytime we went out west on the plains, we had constant cross winds that exceeded 35 miles per hour. my truck weights 9200 loaded vs camper @ 10,000 loaded - camper is not jerking this truck around. That make it feel safe and secure and at 13.5 miles a gallon vs the 6.6-8.4 miles I got with the gasser 1/2 ton now I'm a happy happy camper with the right rig
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrain3130 View Post
We are new to the camping world just bought a 2015 XLR hyper lite 29HFS we have only pulled it twice we have a 2008 suburban that we are using now not real comfortable pulling it with the suburban looking to buy a pick up but not sure which one to go with what do most of you pull yours with we have a 2014 Harley limited that will be putting in the back but have not pulled it with the bike in the back
Used my 2012 suburbn to pull my new Greywolf 27RR home...not enough truck !...so my wife bought the best aroung..new 2014 Ford superduty F250 Deisel crew cab lariat...It does everything you want and more...plus 450 vey strong horses 9000 ftlbsO torque....screen n gages are very very accurate,,,,and fuel mileage is excellent..Even with with both Harley Deluxes in garage and ful tanks n gear..Truck does not Know trailer is back their.
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #25

As other have suggested, best to go with a 2500 with 6.0. Here's why: we pull a 16' tandem axle cargo trailer with a GVW of 7,000 lbs cross country. We formerly had a 2008 Sierra 1500 HD with a 4-spd auto. That transmission drove us nuts shifting on hills and excessively revving the 5.3. You have an '08 Suburban, so you know what I am talking about. We now have a 2013 Siverado 1500 HD with 6-speed auto. It has down-hill braking integrated into the transmission. There is a world of improvement in shifting performance and down-hill safety. We can pull some pretty tough grades with truck bed and trailer fully loaded. Both pickups are equipped with rear Firestone Ride-Rite air bags that add tremendous results on sway and leveling.

That said, the trailer is 7K GVW. If I had your TT, the 1500 HD might suffice provided it had the Ride Rites. But if buying a different TV, I would definitely go with a 2500 HD for the bigger pay load. You will definitely be looking for a truck with a HD tow package. I would also strongly consider adding Firestone Ride Rites (easy install), especially since you want to bring the Harley.

Here is another must have-an "integrated brake controller". Believe me, it is integrated. And no, it is not part of the standard HD towing package. To begin with, it is mounted in the dash so it is not a knee knocker. The truck, itself, has braking safety features, but the integrated brake controller takes it a step further and applies the same braking safety features to the trailer electric brake system. That is a feature an after market brake controller can not do. It does still have the gain adjustments and the emergency braking lever. I will be having a factory integrated brake controller installed in our F450 coach next spring.

I would hesitate on going with a 1 ton. If the stats for a 2500 are adequate for your use, a larger capacity may be overkill. You may want to consider your ride comfort when not towing. If you have the Ride-Rites, you can air up when hauling and 10 lbs when you are not. best of both worlds.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #26

It's better to have too much truck than not enough. Not only can you tow up grade better but you have more woah when you want to stop.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #27

I was kind of in the same boat. I have a Yukon xl, the numbers on the trailers we were looking at "worked" on paper. Then I was in the market for a truck. Was deciding on a 1/2 ton truck and "half ton towable" TT or 5th wheel. I convinced the DW that we should go with a 2500 diesel. We have never had a diesel so I didn't and still don't know much about them. Only that I needed one, Haaa... I just did not want to be close to the 1500 tuck limits. I am a GMC man but could not afford a duramax. I got a great deal on 2015 ram 2500 SLT diesel. I gave up the leather interior, a more quiet ride and just my preference of a GMC. It was a major $$ difference. I have to say though that I am very happy with the truck. It is a quiet ride, although not as quiet as a GMC. I have a friend that had a 2010 ram that was pretty loud. The truck came with integrated brake control, jake brake, and upgraded gauge cluster and 4x4. I also ended going with a 5th wheel which is still on order (312 bhx wildcat maxx). So while I still have not towed anything that big with it, I feel confident that the ram will be able to handle that trailer.
BCMCpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedrock View Post
I just bought a 30hds and my first trip I pulled it with a Dodge 2500. It was about the worst experience I've ever had pulling a trailer. I now have a 2008 3500 Duramax dually and absolutely love it!
2500 Dodge what? Year?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #29

Nightrain - We bought a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel and could not be happier with it. We are in process of upgrading from a 29 ft. Travel Trailer to a 35 ft. Fifth Wheel Cardinal 3250RL. We will lose the storage capacity of the pickup bed, but will gain storage capacity in the new trailer. The Duramax diesel and Allison 6-speed tranny are the best. Our previous tow vehicle was a Ford Chateau with 460 cu. in. V-8 that netted 6.5 mpg while towing. Our Silverado gets more than 13 mpg when towing!! The standard bed length on the 2500HD is 6' 6". You may need the longer bed to acomodate your bike.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #30

Miket...

It was a 1998 Dodge 2500 with a 360 engine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448849090.541440.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	95248

Here's my new to me truck on its first test run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448849256.492470.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	95249
Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
It depends on what you're planning on doing with the Trailer and on how deep your pocket book is and how much discomfort you're willing to put up with in a HD Truck....

If you're going to travel the country and put thousands of actual towing miles on the TV, then yeah,get the 2500 with the Diesel. You'll need it.

A dually would be even better but remember something -- You're not going to be hooked up to the trailer 24/7/365. You're going to have more money in, and spend more time in, the TV than in the TT so...... That's got to be comfortable, too. Which HD Trucks aren't known for. And wait until it's time to put tires on that Dually.

If you feel you need an M1 Tank to tow your trailer, then get one. But here's the deal....

1/2-Ton pickups aren't set up from the factory to tow all that well. They don't have a sway bar on them and their springs aren't all that and a happy meal.

Some SuperSprings and a Hellwig sway bar for a 1/2-ton can run you just over $500 total if you install them yourself (springs are easy, sway bar you need an extra pair of hands but can be done by yourself, although it's no fun [I know])and will improve the towing ability of your truck immensely

But if I had it all to do over again...... If I were starting from scratch, I'd get the F-250 with the Diesel.

If you already have a 1/2-ton, I'm just saying there's no need to despair..... And Suburbans are not good tow vehicles despite their reputation from the 1970's as being such. They're just not --Not compared to a Pick Up

You also get more than just a suspension and a BigAss™ Motor. In the F-250 you get a MUCH stronger transmission and bigger, better brakes.

So yeah, if you gotta get a new truck anyway, get the HD. But they don't ride like the 1/2-Ton.

Unloaded, I can cruise down I-75 at 75 MPH having a quiet conversation with the DW and listening to Steely Dan while getting 23 MPG in my F-150 with the Coyote V8.

But like I said, I'd probably get the F-250 if I were starting from scratch.

Confused yet?
Na just really dizzy. So you miss that diesel eh?
Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedrock View Post
Miket...

It was a 1998 Dodge 2500 with a 360 engine.
Attachment 95248

Here's my new to me truck on its first test run.

Attachment 95249
Hey H,
If I read it right, the '98 360ci has 250hp and 335lb/ft torque; if true no wonder you didn't like it. It is rated with a lot of payload and towing up around 10K#, but to do it you have to wind them tight. I had a Chevy half with the 5.3L when I had the Trailmanor (4000# GVW) and since the rating to tow was 9500# I thought going to a Greywolf 21RR wouldn't be a problem... I was very very wrong. The minimum torque for me with these Hyperlites is 400 to 450, but at below 3000 RPM. As far as I know, it takes a diesel or a Ecoboast to do that. Since my CTD cost less than a EB... wallah!
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #33

Well the hitch holds the trailer much better with your dodge(don't know why) but the Duramax will kick it's ass towing.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Well the hitch holds the trailer much better with your dodge(don't know why) but the Duramax will kick it's ass towing.

I had air bags on the Dodge. I just hooked the trailer to the Chevy and went for a test ride. Really wanted to see the how much difference there was between the two trucks. May add the bags to the Chevy in the spring.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #35

Well you will go from 3/4 MPG to 12/13
Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #36

I'm new at this as well. I bought a 15' Ram diesel 3500 SRW 4x4 and tow a 33' 10,000lb 5th wheel. On my first trip towing, I was able to climb a 7% grade hill at 55 mph with no effort what so ever. On the return trip, the Automatic mode on the factory brake controller allowed me to descend the same grade at 50 mph WITHOUT TOUCHING THE BRAKES at all. Towing in hilly country from sea level to about 3000' I got 13.3 MPG. Without the trailer, I drove 1400 miles from Idaho to Southern California and averaged 21.3 MPG.

Buy a BIG truck. The cost difference between a 2500 and 3500 is insignificant. I STRONGLY recommend the diesel. However, it is an expensive option. The diesel is well worth the added expense.
Waldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
I'm new at this as well. I bought a 15' Ram diesel 3500 SRW 4x4 and tow a 33' 10,000lb 5th wheel. On my first trip towing, I was able to climb a 7% grade hill at 55 mph with no effort what so ever. On the return trip, the Automatic mode on the factory brake controller allowed me to descend the same grade at 50 mph WITHOUT TOUCHING THE BRAKES at all. Towing in hilly country from sea level to about 3000' I got 13.3 MPG. Without the trailer, I drove 1400 miles from Idaho to Southern California and averaged 21.3 MPG.

Buy a BIG truck. The cost difference between a 2500 and 3500 is insignificant. I STRONGLY recommend the diesel. However, it is an expensive option. The diesel is well worth the added expense.
21.3 ?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:36 AM   #38

Here are the corrected numbers: I picked up the truck in Idaho. I drove to San Diego via Yellowstone and Teton National Parks. Total distance was 1740 miles. I was not towing anything and the only load was two people, light luggage and a 5th wheel hitch. For the 1740 miles my overall average gas mileage was 21.5 miles per gallon of #2 Diesel fuel.

On my first outing towing my trailer I drove 400 miles and got 13.3 miles per gallon. As I said, I'm new at towing a 5th wheel trailer. The performance of the truck is much better than what I expected. The photo below was taken when I pulled into my driveway when picked up the truck. IMHO, that's pretty good performance for a Crew Cab Ram 3500 Diesel HD Truck. I love that truck.

Waldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
Here are the corrected numbers: I picked up the truck in Idaho. I drove to San Diego via Yellowstone and Teton National Parks. Total distance was 1740 miles. I was not towing anything and the only load was two people, light luggage and a 5th wheel hitch. For the 1740 miles my overall average gas mileage was 21.5 miles per gallon of #2 Diesel fuel.

On my first outing towing my trailer I drove 400 miles and got 13.3 miles per gallon. As I said, I'm new at towing a 5th wheel trailer. The performance of the truck is much better than what I expected. The photo below was taken when I pulled into my driveway when picked up the truck. IMHO, that's pretty good performance for a Crew Cab Ram 3500 Diesel HD Truck. I love that truck.

Not bad for a Fiat......
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrain3130 View Post
We are new to the camping world just bought a 2015 XLR hyper lite 29HFS we have only pulled it twice we have a 2008 suburban that we are using now not real comfortable pulling it with the suburban looking to buy a pick up but not sure which one to go with what do most of you pull yours with we have a 2014 Harley limited that will be putting in the back but have not pulled it with the bike in the back
This thread is amusing. The OP asks about "Chevy 1500 or 2500" and gets everything but recommended to him, including an M1 tank

Get the 2500HD with 6.0 gas.

That is unless you are towing the trailer a substantial amount of the time, then I would go for the 2500HD with Duramax and Allison. No matter what the discount or incentive is, the diesel package is a about a 9K add. You have to be towing thousands upon thousands of miles before the fuel savings offset the added maintenance / potential added maintenance and up front added cost. The added ponies and torque is nice, but is it required unless your going out to the Rockies every weekend or full timing? That's your call. I've never been able to make that math work unless I intended to be full timing, and the days of me needing to have the biggest baddest ride on the block are behind me. I don't need the testosterone boost and sure don't need the bank account hit to get it.

Don't worry about ride when unloaded / not towing. That's a load of BS at least where the GM 2500's are concerned. I'll put my 15 GMC 2500 HD ride as good as, or better than, any 1/2 ton truck out there when unloaded. That includes my 13 F150, which is a bouncing piece of crap on a concrete highway when its unloaded.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags