Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #61

hopefully this fixes this issue because it suck having a new RV and having to drive around with white knuckles.
O I almost forgot this happened my second night camping, fell from the tree above us, not having good luck so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160325_104555.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	103168  
mrdon003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #62

That sucks MrDon... plenty of dead stuff to fall in many, many sites... but this one decided to fall pointy end first... darn. Can you Everbond it? or what?
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
That sucks MrDon... plenty of dead stuff to fall in many, many sites... but this one decided to fall pointy end first... darn. Can you Everbond it? or what?
WW
Not sure, haven't really looked at it yet, thought about calling insurance and see if its covered, I've seen people use gorilla tape. I have to look into Everbond, never heard of it.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #64

Not sure of the best product
WQ

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #65

***XLR Nitro 31FQSL ????

I used gorilla tape on my awning rip. Just make sure the canvas is super clean and dry and tape from both sides if possible. Once that gorilla tape takes hold it practically takes an act of God to get it off. I have half of my weekend wheeler held together by gorilla tape under the hood
mopar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #66

Observations on Sway and the 31qsl

Hi all. I am on the back end of an approximate 2500 mile vacation journey with my 31fqsl that took me from Cincinnati, OH to St Petersburg, FL then over to Melbourne, FL. I am staying the night in Orangeburg, SC tonight and will hopefully be back home tomorrow evening. I tow with a Chevrolet 2500HD CC LB with LBZ Duramax. It has airbags as well. I took delivery of my 31fqsl last June and also had the white knuckle experience on my first trip out. The wife and I are planning to head out West this summer and we used this FL trip as a test run. I found a used ProPride 1400 over the winter and this is also my first run with it.

Prior to pulling out on 3/25, I scaled my rig for the first time just to see how my WD was working. I had measured fender well heights and set the springbar tension to what I felt was proper after leveling the truck with the bags. Here are some observations: FR's stated tongue weight on these TH isn't even close. Scale your rig. I can't emphasize it enough. With a 750 lb bike in the garage, a full gas tank under the garage, 1/3 tank of fresh water and groceries my TH had 1560 lbs tongue weight with some WD in the springbars, as calculated with my weight slips. With everything set (I thought) the truck was over 700 lbs lighter on the front axle than when solo. Hello white knuckles! I actually scaled four times and was finally able to get back to about 340 lighter on the front axle. All told, I don't think the ProPride with 1400lb bars can transfer enough weight even with no air in the bags. Remember my truck is a CC LB so it takes a lot of bar due to the longer truck. Anyway, having verified I was well within parameters for the Gross Weights of the truck and TH, I proceeded.

The ProPride takes some getting used to. Your trailer brake adjustment is critical because of the extra pivot point in the hitch. I initially didn't have enough brake and on short stop the hitch actually shifted on the A frame of the TH. Having said all that it does what it is supposed to and tows great. No white knuckles. You still get pushed a bit with larger passing vehicles. However, the truck and TH push together rather than bend in the middle. I am still contemplating buying 2000 lb bars for my original Blue Ox SwayPro to see if I can get my axle weights better, but the current setup is completely acceptable with carrying a bit of extra weight on the back of the truck.

Did I mention to Scale Your Rig!

Now, anyone wanna discuss compound turbos on a Duramax? If you have a DMax don't leave home without 'em.

Jeff
Mainous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainous View Post
Hi all. I am on the back end of an approximate 2500 mile vacation journey with my 31fqsl that took me from Cincinnati, OH to St Petersburg, FL then over to Melbourne, FL. I am staying the night in Orangeburg, SC tonight and will hopefully be back home tomorrow evening. I tow with a Chevrolet 2500HD CC LB with LBZ Duramax. It has airbags as well. I took delivery of my 31fqsl last June and also had the white knuckle experience on my first trip out. The wife and I are planning to head out West this summer and we used this FL trip as a test run. I found a used ProPride 1400 over the winter and this is also my first run with it.

Prior to pulling out on 3/25, I scaled my rig for the first time just to see how my WD was working. I had measured fender well heights and set the springbar tension to what I felt was proper after leveling the truck with the bags. Here are some observations: FR's stated tongue weight on these TH isn't even close. Scale your rig. I can't emphasize it enough. With a 750 lb bike in the garage, a full gas tank under the garage, 1/3 tank of fresh water and groceries my TH had 1560 lbs tongue weight with some WD in the springbars, as calculated with my weight slips. With everything set (I thought) the truck was over 700 lbs lighter on the front axle than when solo. Hello white knuckles! I actually scaled four times and was finally able to get back to about 340 lighter on the front axle. All told, I don't think the ProPride with 1400lb bars can transfer enough weight even with no air in the bags. Remember my truck is a CC LB so it takes a lot of bar due to the longer truck. Anyway, having verified I was well within parameters for the Gross Weights of the truck and TH, I proceeded.

The ProPride takes some getting used to. Your trailer brake adjustment is critical because of the extra pivot point in the hitch. I initially didn't have enough brake and on short stop the hitch actually shifted on the A frame of the TH. Having said all that it does what it is supposed to and tows great. No white knuckles. You still get pushed a bit with larger passing vehicles. However, the truck and TH push together rather than bend in the middle. I am still contemplating buying 2000 lb bars for my original Blue Ox SwayPro to see if I can get my axle weights better, but the current setup is completely acceptable with carrying a bit of extra weight on the back of the truck.

Did I mention to Scale Your Rig!

Now, anyone wanna discuss compound turbos on a Duramax? If you have a DMax don't leave home without 'em.

Jeff
That's the plan on next trip, Scale the Rig and drop my hitch down one notch. I have 3 bikes and gear in the garage, about 1300lbs, I don't have the fuel tank/Generator package. My first trip south I had no water in tanks but on the way back north I tried 1/2 tank fresh water no change. I have a trip in May I'll try the scales and I have a trip in July that I'll have about 1800-1900lbs in garage.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #68

Greetings! and thanks for all the useful info on this forum.

I'm considering purchasing a 31FQSL as my first TH, but it seems to be at the upper end of what I can tow.
Has anyone weighed the 31 to see if FR's dry weight of 9997lbs is accurate?
I have a 2003 F350, 7.3L CC LB, 3.73 diff, SRW, with air bags.
I've towed lighter trailers and equipment easily but nothing this big or heavy. I also have no experience with a WD hitch.
My max' tow rating is 12,500 and GCWR is 20,000lbs.
I always thought this truck could handle most anything but now that I'm looking into a TH I see that many are too heavy, especially the fifth wheels.
If the 31 is too heavy I way have to go with a Hyperlite or something else....
For those of you who already have TH's what is your experience with dry weight Vs GVWR? How much do you normally carry?
1400lb side x side + water + fuel + groceries, etc..... might put me pretty close to max, is that a problem? I guess I could get water & fuel near the destination...
And do you have any advice on WD hitches for a TH like the 31?
Any help is much appreciated, Thanks.
Phased3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phased3 View Post

I'm considering purchasing a 31FQSL as my first TH, but it seems to be at the upper end of what I can tow.

The dry weight is dependent upon the options selected. This number appears to be accurate for a unit that has most of the options selected.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #70

Mine weights 9550 lbs empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phased3 View Post
Greetings! and thanks for all the useful info on this forum.

I have a 2003 F350, 7.3L CC LB, 3.73 diff, SRW, with air bags.
I've towed lighter trailers and equipment easily but nothing this big or heavy. I also have no experience with a WD hitch.
My max' tow rating is 12,500 and GCWR is 20,000lbs.
I always thought this truck could handle most anything but now that I'm looking into a TH I see that many are too heavy, especially the fifth wheels.
If the 31 is too heavy I way have to go with a Hyperlite or something else....
For those of you who already have TH's what is your experience with dry weight Vs GVWR? How much do you normally carry?
1400lb side x side + water + fuel + groceries, etc..... might put me pretty close to max, is that a problem? I guess I could get water & fuel near the destination...
And do you have any advice on WD hitches for a TH like the 31?
Any help is much appreciated, Thanks.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #71

Been pretty busy lately but I have update to the towing issue I had.

I lower the hitch down one notch, the trailer is about 1-2 inch lower in front now and it works great, still looks level.

Now that I finally figured it out I may have to sell it due to some unexpected life issue. If anybody is looking for one I should know in a couple weeks if I have to sell or not.

Tags
xlr