Old 12-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #1

XLR Nitro 35VL5, XLR King Bed

I must say that I am disappointed and feel duped by all the information that is available for this RV. We purchased a new 2018 because we love the floorplan. I was comparing several 5th wheels from several manufacturers and had even created a spreadsheet with the specs from each one to make it easier to compare and know where I was willing to compromise. The specs for the XLR Nitro 35VL5 indicated that it has a XLR Nitro King bed. This was an important feature for me as we were upgrading from a TT with a queen bed. Best that I can tell from the measurements that I have taken the bed in our new RV is an Olympic Queen NOT a King. C'mon Man!

Curtis

Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

I did not know they put Olympic Queen in an RV 66"/80" I do know that the RV King only measures 72"/80" where a normal king is 76"/80" doesn't help your problem, but did cause me to learn something about sizes.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Generally, anything larger than a queen (60x80) is considered a king in the RV world.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #4

XLR Nitro 35VL5, XLR King Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Generally, anything larger than a queen (60x80) is considered a king in the RV world.

This unwritten knowledge should be spelled out somewhere, otherwise I consider it intentionally false or misleading. The bottom line is the mattress is worse than one in the cheapest motel and we will replace it with a "rest of the world" standard sized king mattress.

We knew going in that RV mattresses are less than desirable. We anticipated replacing it eventually or adding a topper, but our choices are limited due to the odd size. Now in order to put in a king sized mattress I will have to modify the plywood base to make it wider to support the mattress. Just an expense and effort I wasn't planning for.

Please don't consider this an attack on you, as I appreciate your response, but on the RV industry.

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate,
B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing, U.S. Army Veteran
Old 12-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
TBarbs

The plywood base on our 2018 Wildcat 29RLX was weak at best. The first thing I did when we got it home from the dealer was replace the top piece of plywood with heavier, finished plywood, that I painted.
We added a 3" foam topper to the existing mattress and will give that a try. By the end of January we will have spent a couple weeks on it and will know if we can make that combination work.
I know you have already measured the door openings to see if a full king will fit but I understand that can be a real problem on some models.
Good Luck and let us know how this turns out.
tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip tbarb. This is going to be one of my projects for next year. Hopefully I will remember to take pictures so that it may help someone else, or at the very least demonstrate how not to do it.

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

Looking at purchasing an XLR Boost 27QBX TT
Love everything but the small bed/ mattress . I was thinking I could somehow "upgrade" to a normal King size bed. Interested to see if you'all took pics or customized .
Thanks for any help
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

We have the Queen in ours and replaced the mattress after the first weekend out. I stumbled across this site and purchased the Green tea mattress. We had to cut it down to fit, but it turned out to be a better mattress than our 2k memory foam from Mattress Factory. They will even custom size it if you want.

https://www.zinus.com/collections/mattresses
wkboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
Looking at purchasing an XLR Boost 27QBX TT
Love everything but the small bed/ mattress . I was thinking I could somehow "upgrade" to a normal King size bed. Interested to see if you'all took pics or customized .
Thanks for any help
Hi Deanm,

Sorry, I have yet to tackle this project. I am working on installing slide topper awnings first. I learned a hard lesson on one of our camping trips where we had some strong rain/storms come through that knocked a lot of tiny leafy debris onto the top of the RV. I am still cleaning seals and finding this small debris, so priority on the slide toppers.

I will get to the mattress replacement before the end of this year. What we did for a temporary solution was to grab the mattress off of the bunk in the garage and place it under the one in the master bedroom. Not really the same size but it helps some.

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
Old 07-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Hi Deanm,

Sorry, I have yet to tackle this project. I am working on installing slide topper awnings first. I learned a hard lesson on one of our camping trips where we had some strong rain/storms come through that knocked a lot of tiny leafy debris onto the top of the RV. I am still cleaning seals and finding this small debris, so priority on the slide toppers.

I will get to the mattress replacement before the end of this year. What we did for a temporary solution was to grab the mattress off of the bunk in the garage and place it under the one in the master bedroom. Not really the same size but it helps some.
Im surprised any slide doesn't come standard with those !??
On the Mattress I found this link.....
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
Im surprised any slide doesn't come standard with those !??
On the Mattress I found this link.....
SURPRISE!!! LOL. Some assembly required, some items purchased separately, batteries not included....

Thanks for the link.

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5

Tags
bed, king bed, xlr