Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Xlr nitro 42ds5 adding third ac?

Hello I have a 2017 xlr nitro 42ds5. I was wondering if anyone new if the vent in the garage was pre wired for a third AC unit. We are currently living in Redding ca and really need the third ac. Any help would be great thank you!!
Mattiep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #2

Also interested in doing this in a Nitro 36T15.
roadie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #3

Usually if it is prewired for an ac there is a blank plate on the ceiling next to the vent. The wires are housed within the junction box behind the blank plate.
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

I don’t think ours is prewired for a third unit, but would still like to add one. I’ll have to call the dealer to see what it would cost.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #5

Adding a third A/C unit is no more difficult that adding a second A/C unit to a TT, 5-er, or Toy Hauler. I added a second A/C unit to my TT and I have never regretted it. Being as you have a vent in the garage area probably 1/3 of your work is done. I did not attempt to use a ducted A/C unit, I was mainly trying to cool the bedroom on our 31ft. TT. For your TH with the vent in the garage it would be easy to add an A/C unit with the air distribution box (ADB) with the adjustable vents built in. IF there is no blank plate on the ceiling and/or a blank plate on the wall for a t'stat then you will have to provide electrical power to the unit and with the non-ducted ADB the t'stat will be built into the ADB. With a TH I would run new wiring for the A/C unit through plastic wire way across the ceiling, down the wall to a point where I wanted the wiring to pass through the wall. I added a marine grade, a "Marinco" brand, that goes through the wall and has a male plug on the exterior with a rubber snap on weather cover. I use a 10 ga. electrical extension cord which I plug into the 120vAC duplex receptacle on the power pedestal at the CG and the female end goes onto the male plug on the TT. I terminated the wiring inside a 6x6 electrical box within my front storage area and added within that box a marine grade 20 amp push-button circuit breaker. This set-up has worked very nicely for three years now. I would bet that a dealer would charge you in excess of $1000 to add a third A/C unit including the unit, all wiring and labor. OH-getting the new A/C unit on top of the TH is the fun part. Leave the new A/C unit in the box, set an extension ladder to reach over the top of the TH (secure the feet of the ladder) and use a rope to pull the box up. Call a few friends and tell them you have a lot of extra beer on ice and they should come and see. I did a little different, I set two bottles of good wine on top of the TT, showed her that the A/C box had to be up there before she could have the wine. Effortless on my part.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #6

Am I correct in that the unit you added is not connected to the camper's existing electrical system? It's a "stand alone" type set up?

Thank you for the information!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #7

@ "roadie00" and others: YES. That is a correct statement. I had never thought that way about the set up but, YES. The circuit for the front A/C unit is NOT tied into the TT's electrical system at all. I mentioned that I added the separate 20 circuit breaker because I don't always depend on the 20 circuit breaker on a camp ground power pedestal being dependable. Let's just imagine my TT is in the middle of a 40 acre field and there is an adequate 120vAC 20 electrical connection available, such as duplex receptacle in a home. Just plug the female end of the yellow 10 ga. extension cord to the available 120vAC 20 circuit via the duplex receptacle, as in your home, then plug in the female end of the cord to the male receptacle on the TT and you have cool A/C in the front bedroom. O.K. So I have 38 years of Industrial Maintenance background including working with electrical circuits. BUT--it really was an easy project that I believe an average "handyman around the house" could do. There may even be videos on YouTube as to how to do this. IF I can help you via computer messages then please message me, be prepared to send photos. Good Luck

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xlr